Transit Service to Elmira

The staff report on route 21 will be presented at the next planning and works committee meeting on Feb 16. You can read the report at http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/regio...pdf?openelement .

In summary, they are recommending extending the pilot for another year. Ridership is growing, but has yet to reach the 25 boardings/hour minimum. December saw 21 boardings/hour. I think if the service was a little more frequent they'd have greater success, no one is going to switch from their car to once an hour transit service.

"ELMIRA TRANSIT SERVICE"?? I thought it was GRT that serviced Elmira on it's Route 21? (From the Heading it seems like Elmira now has its "own" transit service.)

I figured it was pretty obvious being in the forum what it referred to, and that everyone here knows who runs route 21. I'd change the topic title if I could, but it will have to remain as-is.

I figured it was pretty obvious being in the forum what it referred to, and that everyone here knows who runs route 21. I'd change the topic title if I could, but it will have to remain as-is.

LOL, I know it grabbed my attention, but I figured that's what you meant anyway!

hey everybody its good that 21 Elmira will stay running for a while more i will be on there on tuesday i hope the numbers keep going up

They're at "21" boarding/hour and they need "25" to make it a viable run? That's easy to fix ................. all the driver would have to do is key in a few extra "Free" rides, or "UW?WLU" "One Pass" cards in the farebox each hour, or just add 4 extra "Transfers" per hour and you're there! Simple ............. now the Route 21 is viable! LOL

LOL, I know it grabbed my attention, but I figured that's what you meant anyway!

They're at "21" boarding/hour and they need "25" to make it a viable run? That's easy to fix ................. all the driver would have to do is key in a few extra "Free" rides, or "UW?WLU" "One Pass" cards in the farebox each hour, or just add 4 extra "Transfers" per hour and you're there! Simple ............. now the Route 21 is viable! LOL

It doesn't matter what you key in, most of the nova's have passenger counters and those are the stats they use for ridership, not the farebox. The farebox only monitors the different fares, adult, student, etc.

It doesn't matter what you key in, most of the nova's have passenger counters and those are the stats they use for ridership, not the farebox. The farebox only monitors the different fares, adult, student, etc.

Oh, So you're saying I don't need to bother keying anything into the fare box? How nice! (So to "bump up the stats", and to keep the #21 viable, I guess I'll just have to go out the back door, and come back in the front at least 2 or 3 times per trip. That should do it, right? LOL)

Oh, So you're saying I don't need to bother keying anything into the fare box? How nice! (So to "bump up the stats", and to keep the #21 viable, I guess I'll just have to go out the back door, and come back in the front at least 2 or 3 times per trip. That should do it, right? LOL)

I think that would do it - but only on the nova's with the passenger counters. lol

As for keying into the farebox, the more accurate you are the better the stats on how many trips are by transfer, university passes etc. which would be helpful in showing how necessary it really is (isn't) for LRT.

I think that would do it - but only on the nova's with the passenger counters. lol

As for keying into the farebox, the more accurate you are the better the stats on how many trips are by transfer, university passes etc. which would be helpful in showing how necessary it really is (isn't) for LRT.

Because university students take up half the space of a person paying cash? And someone with a transfer takes up two times the space?

"A Nova bus can hold up to 40 people. If there are twice as many university students as those paying cash, half as many people paying with tickets as there are university students, and one-third of how many paying cash using a transfer, how ridiculous was hybrid1's cheap anti-LRT comment?"

there will be 3 buses for the elmira syrup festival

OH MY! Thats definately a day I'll be taking off! LOL. Pity the poor souls who have to attempt the drive in that traffic. Forget the "scheduled" times too. None of those 3 buses will be running on a schedule!

Because university students take up half the space of a person paying cash? And someone with a transfer takes up two times the space?

"A Nova bus can hold up to 40 people. If there are twice as many university students as those paying cash, half as many people paying with tickets as there are university students, and one-third of how many paying cash using a transfer, how ridiculous was hybrid1's cheap anti-LRT comment?"

Not as ridiculous as your cheap assumption! Keying in the fares has nothing to do with how much space a person takes, it assesses what type of fares GRT is generating in the overall ridership and this is used in CUTA stats. Either the stats support LRT as proposed or they don't. You should use your head before you go judging and assuming intent behind a post!

Not as ridiculous as your cheap assumption! Keying in the fares has nothing to do with how much space a person takes, it assesses what type of fares GRT is generating in the overall ridership and this is used in CUTA stats. Either the stats support LRT as proposed or they don't. You should use your head before you go judging and assuming intent behind a post!

I think the point was that it doesn't matter what fare type, a rider is a rider that needs to be served.

QUOTE (Paul Cyr @ Mar 2 2010, 11:07 PM)

I think now is the time for any and all LRT cheap shots. After its here, it wont be cheap anymore! Its nothing more than an expensive way to haul students and drunks around at taxpayers expense.

I think the point was that it doesn't matter what fare type, a rider is a rider that needs to be served.

You are right, but I was responding to a specific question about the purpose of keying riders into the farebox. I was not talking about the riders themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
hey everybody i just looked at the GRT web site and i see they are adding more runs on the 21 for Thursday mornings for the summer does anybody know the times ?

I don't know the times but according to our "Bidlist" its just for Thursday mornings.

hey everybody i just looked at the GRT web site and i see they are adding more runs on the 21 for Thursday mornings for the summer does anybody know the times ?
I don't know the times but according to our "Bidlist" its just for Thursday mornings.

True. It's additional service Thursday's only. (Full day service to Elmira)

• 2 months later...