Broward County Transit

MiExpress

I know there's a thread about Broward County Transit artics, but thought I'd pass this along from one of my contacts:

Broward County Transit has issued a RFP for Transit buses of various sizes:

2 year contract, with options for an additional 3 years up to 5 years

Bidders must bid on entire group in order to qualify for award, and quantity of either diesel/hybrid will be determined by Broward County Transit

Group 1, estimated purchase of 15 buses per year:

60 foot Diesel

60 foot Hybrid

Group 2, estimated purchase of 35 buses per year:

40 foot Diesel

40 foot hybrid

Group 3, estimated purchase of 30 buses per year:

30 foot Diesel

30 foot Hybrid

Some Key Requirements:

-Stainless Steel Frame

-BRT styled bus

-Cummins ISL with Allison B400R/500R for all diesel models

-Allison hybrid drive specified for hybrid models, but BAE systems will be considered

-Delivery desired within 280 days after receipt of purchase order

Just though I'd share it, this could be interesting as almost every major company could have a chance to score some contracts (Nova, NABI, Gillig, Orion, etc.) I'd wonder about NFI, since they apparently stopped using Stainless Steel frames a little while back.

I know there's a thread about Broward County Transit artics, but thought I'd pass this along from one of my contacts:

Bidders must bid on an entire group in order to qualify for award, and quantity of either diesel/hybrid will be determined by Broward County Transit

60 foot Diesel

60 foot Hybrid

40 foot Diesel

40 foot hybrid

30 foot Diesel

30 foot Hybrid

Some Key Requirements:

-Stainless Steel Frame

-BRT styled bus

-Cummins ISL with Allison B400R/500R for all diesel models

-Allison hybrid drive specified for hybrid models, but BAE systems will be considered

-Delivery desired within 280 days after receipt of purchase order

Just though I'd share it, this could be interesting as almost every major company could have a chance to score some contracts (Nova, NABI, Gillig, Orion, etc.) I'd wonder about NFI, since they apparently stopped using Stainless Steel frames a little while back.

I'm guessing NABI is the most likely choice for their needs. Gillig and Orion don't offer artics, and Nova doesn't yet offer the LFS/LFX Artic in a hybrid configuration.

I'm guessing NABI is the most likely choice for their needs. Gillig and Orion don't offer artics, and Nova doesn't yet offer the LFS/LFX Artic in a hybrid configuration.

It's up for anyone. Look at the recent award out of Conneticut which is buying buses from New Flyer, Nova, Gillig, and MCI.

There's nothing to say they won't end up with a mix. They will likely go with what ever is cheapest for each group.

It seems like Broward County Transit just goes for whoever is cheaper, as they have bounced from NABI to Gillig to New Flyer for fleet purchases. That being said, you're right in NABI is the most qualified in terms of specifications and could easily win all three groups, but nothing's going to stop the other manufacturers from bidding on what they can.

Bidders must bid on entire group in order to qualify for award, and quantity of either diesel/hybrid will be determined by Broward County Transit

60 foot Diesel

60 foot Hybrid

A caveat in this group is that BCT already operates artics from New Flyers in the form of 2006 D60LFR's & 2009 D/DE62LFA's recently delivered in part for he new I-95 express to downtown Miami. For parts commonity's sake, I'll give New Flyer an upper hand.

40 foot Diesel

40 foot hybrid

In this group, advantage to NABI, as they've supplied BCT's most recent 40-footers; although Gillig may have an outside shot due to their preferred supplier status before the intrduction of the NABI's. Due to Florida DOT's compact with Gillig and the tilt shown towards NABI by BCT and Miami Dade Transit, I don't see much chance for Orion & Novabus. There's not a single Orion VII oprating in the whole state of Florida (Please confirm or correct me on this count); most exisitng Orion V's with Florida TA's (in Orlando, Gainesville, Sarasota and Polk County) are slated for retirement in next few years and that Nova LFS's can only be found in Disneyland area in Orlando (Mostly with Disney Transport but at least one other shuttle operator has them).

30 foot Diesel

30 foot Hybrid

BCT traditionally has virtually no uses for 30ft. heavy duty buses. So do you know what's the purpose for this group of buses? I spectaculate that they're converting some lighter lines from 40-footers to these and upgrading their 4 cutaway routes to them as well. Or is it possible for BCT to take over a few community bus routes in-house to bail out some cash-strapped municipalities and operate such services with the proposed 30footers? Or to supply these buses to the cities as replacement for cutaways and medium-duty buses (Blue Birds CS and Eldorado)?

As for the choice of vehicles, since NABI does not produce a 30-ft. version of its BRT line, the only option for them to offer a BRT style product is to maket the Miami-spec Optima Opus with the modified front to BCT (Unless their 31-LFW with the current front is qualifed as a BRT-styled bus). IMHO, Gillig will be very competitive in this group, since they have a proven 30ft. BRT-styled derivative of their market-leading (in the 30/29ft. heavy duty sector) Low Floor. If not for the Florida DOT contract, I think the Orion VII NG would be a vible contender. Finally, the Eldorado National EZ-Rider II MAX BRT(Currently in service with SunLine in Palm Springs, Ca.) could be a dark horsein this group, especially if BCT purhase these buses o behalf of the cities operting community bus routes; as Eldorado can easily undercut both NABI & Gillig in price.

New Flyer won't be getting any of this as they do not offer stainless steel frames anymore, unless they're willing to offer it again or the tender is structured in that more points are awarded if a Stainless Steel frame is offered. However the tender document I read over clearly said carbon steel was unacceptable as a submission.

In this group, advantage to NABI, as they've supplied BCT's most recent 40-footers; although Gillig may have an outside shot due to their preferred supplier status before the intrduction of the NABI's. Due to Florida DOT's compact with Gillig and the tilt shown towards NABI by BCT and Miami Dade Transit, I don't see much chance for Orion & Novabus. There's not a single Orion VII oprating in the whole state of Florida (Please confirm or correct me on this count); most exisitng Orion V's with Florida TA's (in Orlando, Gainesville, Sarasota and Polk County) are slated for retirement in next few years and that Nova LFS's can only be found in Disneyland area in Orlando (Mostly with Disney Transport but at least one other shuttle operator has them).

This is where it may become interesting. Orion and Nova could very well bid aggressive to get their products in this region for market share and exposure.

They have always offered carbon steel. Stainless steel is/ was recently added as an option.

While I can't 100% confirm this, New Flyer stopped using stainless steel when the CTA switched to carbon steel frames. This came from various people and a scan of the New Flyer site revealed nothing about stainless steel mentioned. However like I said in an above post nothing's stopping them from reintroducing it to the product lineup.

While I can't 100% confirm this, New Flyer stopped using stainless steel when the CTA switched to carbon steel frames. This came from various people and a scan of the New Flyer site revealed nothing about stainless steel mentioned. However like I said in an above post nothing's stopping them from reintroducing it to the product lineup.

I'm not questioning that. Regardless, it is still relatively recently in New Flyer's history that they've used stainless steel period that I'm aware of, and only ever really had it advertised in a obscure place on their website from what I recall.

• 10 months later...
I'm not questioning that. Regardless, it is still relatively recently in New Flyer's history that they've used stainless steel period that I'm aware of, and only ever really had it advertised in a obscure place on their website from what I recall.

Where I can find something the website about new buses for BCT? I need to know all of those info about new buses will delivery in 2011. I wasn't sure about this one. Can you guys try to figure it out for me.