RevEleven

Great Transit Operators!

When riding 2327 on the 160 during a trip to Toronto last year, this lady got on and paid her fare, but didn't pay for the kids. Both of her kids were way older than six years old, which meant that they had to pay a fare as well. The lady got into a heated argument with the driver about her kids evading the fare. She was yelling and screaming like a maniac, while the driver was maintaining his cool the whole time, which impressed me greatly. He threatened to go out of service when we stopped at Bathurst & Clark, and he even radioed control. Eventually, the lady gave up, and got off at Bathurst & Clark. The driver just drove off. I was sitting in the "bus fan seat" at the time, and he said to me, "In ten years of working for the TTC, I've never had that happen before." I followed up with "I'd hate to be her husband." We both had a good laugh about the whole incident all the way to Wilson Station. If this lady would have been pitted against an equally irritable driver, the results would have been catastrophic. This driver held his own the whole time, which was very impressive.

Not an operator, I think it was a supervisor...but there was an older lady who took time out of her day to show three transit fans who decided to visit Arrow Road garage around for a good half hour, for photos of the 1000's back when they were new on delivery.

Honestly, the nicest I've ever gotten was when I was 11 and a driver let me on the 79 when I forgot my bus ticket. She was really friendly, too. Most have either been complete assholes or neutral. I've had bad experiences with mostly Wilson drivers. :lol:

There are quite a few nice operators at Wilson, you just haven't encountered them yet.

Birchmount drivers are nice and oh yeah Roncesvilles....:D

This might be because I ride buses from these divisions the most but I find that Birchmount and Eglinton have a lot of very nice operators. Quite a few operators, especially at Birchmount, like to stay on the same crew or route for every board period and end up getting to know the daily riders. For example, there is one operator at Birchmount that has been doing the same crew on 22 for at least the past 1 1/2 years, he went missing in November but returned in December. He was on it for a couple board periods before this 1 1/2 year streak but one board period I saw him on 20. There are other operators that have been doing 22 for quite a while now but I'm not sure if they broke their streaks or not as I don't ride there buses as often. When talking about streetcar operators I find that the majority of them are very nice and very helpful when asked questions. I have though found a few bad apples.

I had a few drivers that et me on for free when I was young coming home from school. Danforth days. I would always pay twice the next day. I'm not sure why I was so clumsey.

I had a friend who used Wheel-trans, I was lucky one day to use it on my way to school. First and only time in a wheel-trans bus, and it was an Orion II!!

I'll try to remember more later...

I've had so many positive expierences while living here in Toronto.... too many to post them all here, but on my home route, there are drivers that frequently go above the call of duty for passengers, we have 2 drivers out here that drive the route all the time, one in the evenings and one late-night, both are wonderful people and there are so many good drivers out here in QSY land, you'd be really surprised.

I've also had nice drivers on both Arrow Road routes (35 Jane) and MT,Dennis routes, (32C, 71b, 94, 63)..

11 Bayview needs to go back to Eglinton Division, the drivers there got used to the blind/deaf people and they cared.. most of the Wilson drivers that do it now are A**holes and dont give a damm, if you want to be like that, go back to 29!

I remember this operator on 501 last year in the summer. Whenever someone boarded the streetcar he would say hi to them and ask them how they are doing. When this mother and her child boarded, he even let the child dispense the farebox. Also when you left the streetcar he would say have a good day!

There's one operator I've seen a couple of times as of late. He seems to do the 63 quite often. I've always noticed that he calls out extra details from time to time about stops, like at Ossington Station, he'll add "Bloor-Danforth Subway" and at Queen, I've heard him say (southbound) "This stop for westbound Queen cars. For eastbound cars, wait until the next stop." I actually saw him two weeks ago wearing the supervisor-style hat, which is a nice touch. There's a few other drivers I've seen that wear it, but not too many.

It's little details like this that I think go a long way to showing that operators really do care about their job and try to go above and beyond for customers, even if its not by that much.

There's one operator I've seen a couple of times as of late. He seems to do the 63 quite often. I've always noticed that he calls out extra details from time to time about stops, like at Ossington Station, he'll add "Bloor-Danforth Subway" and at Queen, I've heard him say (southbound) "This stop for westbound Queen cars. For eastbound cars, wait until the next stop." I actually saw him two weeks ago wearing the supervisor-style hat, which is a nice touch. There's a few other drivers I've seen that wear it, but not too many.

It's little details like this that I think go a long way to showing that operators really do care about their job and try to go above and beyond for customers, even if its not by that much.

That reminds me of a Wilson driver. Back about 2 years ago when I use to ride 29 quite often during PM Peak there was this driver that was always doing 29 every board period. He would always have the hat and some laminated paper. I'm pretty sure the laminated paper was either his schedule or a list of stops as he checked it every once in a while. I have not seen him lately, I'm not even sure if he is still at Wilson since this was before Mt Dennis opened.

Most TTC operators I've had were alright but there were certainly a few sour experiences. I don't remember any exceptionally good ones, aside from some drivers I would chat with during my morning commute on the 14 to high school. Back then the 14 was a very laid back ride, it only got crush loaded after crossing Eglinton West as it neared Davisville. I got on way back at Marlee where I was sometimes the only person on board. Given this, all of the morning drivers were always cheerful and they really got festive on the United Way days when they were allowed to dress casually. It was also all Fishbowls back then, with the occasionally D40-89 or D901. Those were definitely the good days.

The HSR is just amazing as far as driver experiences go. Maybe it's that small town, big city feel that Hamilton generally gives off. I'm not sure why, but I've NEVER had a bad experience with a driver in Hamilton in the 9 years that I've lived here. They are all either incredibly courteous or just do their job with a smile. I only fear that as the city grows and intensifies, especially with the introduction of light rail, that the operators will become more "beaten in", so to speak. With the big city comes the bad attitudes, unfortunately.

Hoe about have the thread changed to Great Transit Operators overall?

Good idea.

I remember Oakville to have GREAT drivers. I remember a fellow who was 28 at the time who was very kind and let me get some shots of 729 (the 1972 fishbowl he was driving) including the dash and etc. He let me sit in the driver's seat and scare the hell out of motorists with the horn. :D

I forgot about my own TTC experience.

So I sometimes take the bus late night when I am heading downtown on my days off. One night a while back I went to get on the 320 blue night at Bishop ave. around 2am to head downtown. I realized once reaching in my pocket that I had no change whatsoever and smallest denomination of a $5 bill. I went to put the $5 bill in and the driver stopped me. Said to me " hey man.. what you doing.. don't put that $5 in, it's too much.... save your money, just come aboard.!" He even then offered me a transfer if I needed one! I asked him " are you sure".. he said ya no problem. I thanked him, he said "have a great night man".

Oh ya.. before I forget.. since this is now "great transit operators" instead of "TTC" operators... can't forget about this so called "crazy" LA bus driver..

Oh ya.. before I forget.. since this is now "great transit operators" instead of "TTC" operators... can't forget about this so called "crazy" LA bus driver..

That reminded me, when Danforth used to operate the 100, I always get the same driver in the morning who sings thank you for riding the TTC in a creative way during the final approach to Eglinton Station. She had a round of applause each time.

Well I guess this goes along with the nicest operators thread. I ran into my neighbour whom (I have known for 27 years) works on the BD Line, he let me film him as he operated a westbound T1 towards Kipling Station, using the operator door as protective shield and not let other passengers get into my camera's view.

Months later I ran into him again operating an H4 set as the guard. He let me sit in the cab of the H4 as he operated the doors. Good times, talking about family and non-transit stuff.

TTC Operator Steve who ran on 68 Warden, who let me record the sound of an Air Starter on a MCI Classic outside in the layover field of Warden Stn.

Supervisor on the Yonge Line, whom was very generous in giving me a TTC baseball cap and also allowing me to film an H5 as a operator was in training. I still see this Supervisor on duty and I get off my train if I see him, just to catch up with him.

There is a really nice ttc driver who i ran into a couple times on the 52/58/59 Routes, and he has some sort of practice to Clap 3 times at every red light for the whole Ride! He says its his way of making the lights turn green faster.

hes a really nice driver always smiling, he has some good stories to, he says have a nice day to passengers and when we arrive at subway stations he does a goodbye speech lol, "Thank you for riding the ttc, Dont forget to carry all your belongings with you as you exit the bus, Have a great day!"

Its nice to see that enthusiasm from some drivers!

I hope to run into him again i am doing a mini documentary for my film class on ttc drivers , basically im trying to point out that drivers are humans to they need bathroom breaks and if there feeling tired and there a bit ahead schedule whats wrong with getting a coffee and i want some point of views if they feel the media is targeting them unfairly and etc etc, but i dont plan on using there identities just angles that dont give there identities away if any drivers come across this and want to put there opinion out Feel free to contact me

Or anybody with stories of good drivers Also feel free

PM Me Or.. Taejonyoutube@hotmail.com

Well I guess this goes along with the nicest operators thread. I ran into my neighbour whom (I have known for 27 years) works on the BD Line, he let me film him as he operated a westbound T1 towards Kipling Station, using the operator door as protective shield and not let other passengers get into my camera's view.

Months later I ran into him again operating an H4 set as the guard. He let me sit in the cab of the H4 as he operated the doors. Good times, talking about family and non-transit stuff.

TTC Operator Steve who ran on 68 Warden, who let me record the sound of an Air Starter on a MCI Classic outside in the layover field of Warden Stn.

Supervisor on the Yonge Line, whom was very generous in giving me a TTC baseball cap and also allowing me to film an H5 as a operator was in training. I still see this Supervisor on duty and I get off my train if I see him, just to catch up with him.

do not post drivers names on here

I hope to run into him again i am doing a mini documentary for my film class on ttc drivers , basically im trying to point out that drivers are humans to they need bathroom breaks and if there feeling tired and there a bit ahead schedule whats wrong with getting a coffee and i want some point of views if they feel the media is targeting them unfairly and etc etc, but i dont plan on using there identities just angles that dont give there identities away if any drivers come across this and want to put there opinion out Feel free to contact me

Or anybody with stories of good drivers Also feel free

PM Me Or.. Taejonyoutube@hotmail.com

I hope you post the vid on youtube.. thats the kind of video that really should be shared worldwide!

There is a really nice ttc driver who i ran into a couple times on the 52/58/59 Routes, and he has some sort of practice to Clap 3 times at every red light for the whole Ride! He says its his way of making the lights turn green faster.

hes a really nice driver always smiling, he has some good stories to, he says have a nice day to passengers and when we arrive at subway stations he does a goodbye speech lol, "Thank you for riding the ttc, Dont forget to carry all your belongings with you as you exit the bus, Have a great day!"

Its nice to see that enthusiasm from some drivers!

There are some real gems out there. Sounds like this guy has a bit of seniority. The clapping at the lights business goes back a long way.

My son's dad used to get little kids on his bus to clap and 'change the light'. Or sing a song and they could have a transfer.

Or he'd say "Hi George" to an (obvious) little girl and she'd start to giggle and run to her seat. You could hear her say "Mommy, that driver called me George, he can't tell girls and boys apart hehehehe" Little boys were always "Hi Sally!" Everybody loved him. Grannies were always giving him candies and baking. Occasionally a joke would backfire (some people have no sense of humor), but not often. Public service, it's still what you make of it I guess.

However the general populous has gotten stranger and a lot more foreigners who don't understand stuff as it is. So the public servant has a bigger challenge these days.