RevEleven

Great Transit Operators!

I remember meeting the bus driver who used to have a column in the Toronto Star. I'm sorry I can't remember his name but he was one of the most interesting driver's I've ever talked to. The column of his I read was one about 'mysterious looking' people or activities that occurred on his buses. He made some very wise and insightful comments about judging others. :) Anyways the bus of his I caught was at High Park station in 2001 or 02 (my memory is foggy). Either the 71 Runnymede or the 40 junction was rerouted to Keele station due to some construction or whatever. There was a rerouting in that area. The bus was a D40-88-or 9. :)

Anyway I thought I'd start this thread as a tribute to the GOOD driver's who are taking some of the blame for BAD driver's in light of the recent media events.

So SHARE your MEMORIES here! :P

As far back as you wanna go! :wacko:

From the "TTC in the news" Thread

Or what about employees like this that actually put a smile on peoples face.... hmm... weird this video only has 595 views yet the "driver going for a coffee mid-route" has over 90,000 views... I guess that answers what constitutes news around these places.... it sickens me...
(funny starts around 0:16)

I've had this driver before, after an evening Jays game on the 510 nothbound. Of course the empty streetcar got crushloaded at Bremner with Jays fans (John McDonald just hit a game-winning RBI double to finish off the Rockies in the 11th inning) And with the crowd in a half-drunken state of happy-rowdiness, this really got everyone in the mood. Especially at Spadina Crescent, it was more like a club in there (minus the booze) and someone was blaring out dance music from their phone in the "VIP" section.

From the "TTC in the news" Thread

I've had this driver before, after an evening Jays game on the 510 nothbound. Of course the empty streetcar got crushloaded at Bremner with Jays fans (John McDonald just hit a game-winning RBI double to finish off the Rockies in the 11th inning) And with the crowd in a half-drunken state of happy-rowdiness, this really got everyone in the mood. Especially at Spadina Crescent, it was more like a club in there (minus the booze) and someone was blaring out dance music from their phone in the "VIP" section.

That was awesome!

How about ever since this recent scandal on TTC, most of the 43 Kennedy drivers I've seen have been stopping at every intersection to wait for passengers running at them. Also, alot have been waiting for passengers at the other side of the intersection once they see passengers get off the bus from the other road. I don't know if this is related to the scandal, the 15min wait time for 43 to Steeles, the cold winter, or improving customer service or maybe it's a coincidence that I started using the 43 bus for work lately and saw this. But nevertheless, seeing multiple drivers doing this is a shock to me but a very nice gesture.

I remember meeting the bus driver who used to have a column in the Toronto Star. I'm sorry I can't remember his name but he was one of the most interesting driver's I've ever talked to. The column of his I read was one about 'mysterious looking' people or activities that occurred on his buses. He made some very wise and insightful comments about judging others. :)Anyways the bus of his I caught was at High Park station in 2001 or 02 (my memory is foggy). Either the 71 Runnymede or the 40 junction was rerouted to Keele station due to some construction or whatever. There was a rerouting in that area. The bus was a D40-88-or 9. :wacko:

In the fall of 2002 40 was rerouted to Keele Station using Glenlake Ave at first and then Bloor St after work was done on Dundas St West north of Bloor. This was due to the track reconstruction and the installation of the separate platform for 505 at Dundas West Station. 168 was detoured to Lansdowne Station at that time as well using Lansdowne-Paton-Wade to loop while a shuttle bus operated along Roncesvalles from Keele Station to connect with 504 at Queen and 505 at Howard Park (it looped at High Park Loop).

The Dupont operator who got out of his bus to pitch a ball back to some kids playing near Annette Rec Centre.

-- --

The operators who appear gruff or stand-offish, but instead show through actions they are paying close attention to customers.

e.g. Late night, years ago, heading back to Glendon College -- but the final bus of the night did not go that far; just to Sunnybrook. I'd seen the operator before and thought he was a grouch. I'm preparing to get off at Sunnybrook and he looks at me -- and perhaps recognizing, just says "Glendon?" It may have been part query, part statement. I said yes and he drove the bus to the college entrance at Lawrence before heading back to the garage. Not that far, but I recall it vividly.

There was enough charge in that interaction to continually remind me about giving benefit of the doubt to those who do not initially appear amiable.

when the d901s were slowly getting retired i went to york university at york lanes to see if could photograph as many as i could, not many came in i got only 2, however i asked the driver of one if he knew if there any more coming in that day (dont hurt to ask) and he was nice and we got to taking about buses and stuff i dont remember the conversation 100% now this was about 4 years ago now but yeah not all drivers are assholes as many say usually these so called asshole drivers became that way of because jerks who they have to deal with day in day out and you never know why for sure why they are bitter who knows maybe a loved one close to them is sick or dying etc

The Dupont operator who got out of his bus to pitch a ball back to some kids playing near Annette Rec Centre.

-- --

The operators who appear gruff or stand-offish, but instead show through actions they are paying close attention to customers.

e.g. Late night, years ago, heading back to Glendon College -- but the final bus of the night did not go that far; just to Sunnybrook. I'd seen the operator before and thought he was a grouch. I'm preparing to get off at Sunnybrook and he looks at me -- and perhaps recognizing, just says "Glendon?" It may have been part query, part statement. I said yes and he drove the bus to the college entrance at Lawrence before heading back to the garage. Not that far, but I recall it vividly.

There was enough charge in that interaction to continually remind me about giving benefit of the doubt to those who do not initially appear amiable.

A lot of people are guilty of this, including myself.

I had a couple instances at York U, where TTC drivers let me film the ride, on 2299 and 2401. All the drivers I met were amazing to talk to.

I've always liked ttcgeeks video of "HOWARD STREET"... seemed to make a few people on the bus laugh:

also.. yrt304: shouldn't you be posting your positive storie(s) on here too?

I've always liked ttcgeeks video of "HOWARD STREET"... seemed to make a few people on the bus laugh:

Thanks! :D

Hopefully, I can do it again, but from the back of the bus. However, that won't be happening for a few months because I don't get out from school early enough to catch up to my driver friend.

I find that usually the operators that are regulars on routes as in they always sign up for the same route and more specifically the same run as well are the ones that tend to be the nicest. This is usually because they do the route for more than one board period and end up getting to know the regular riders. I've seen this on a number of routes all around the city. This is especially true on smaller or less ridden routes.

also.. yrt304: shouldn't you be posting your positive storie(s) on here too?

oh the story of the 41 operator that let me on for free cause i missed a Viva bus (won't give out number of bus)

oh the story of the 41 operator that let me on for free cause i missed a Viva bus (won't give out number of bus)

ya.. but the way you explained it to me it sounded so much better...

i'd rather not disclose every detail on here hehe

lol.. i understand that.. ur ccall.. just thought at least the basics anyways... the no identifiable details.. but up to you..

Here's another story...

I remember fanning for 8051 a decade ago waiting for it at Arrow division. Anyway the driver let me board from the division and stay on for the whole day's run on Finch West that day (except at Finch station where I had to get off). On the last run (36E Milvan) the driver stopped at a nearby Tim Horton's and bought me a donut! After that when the bus went O.O.S. at Finch he let me ride while he was deadheading and made a signing request (118 Finch Via Allen:P) before letting me off at Dufferin. This driver was one of many Arrow division driver's with a heart of gold. And he was one of FOUR driver's who let me do the same thing. :D

I don't know how it is now but I bet for the most part, you can't walk into the divisions and fan anymore without getting into trouble. :D

The operator who annouces ALL stops along Wellesley, even though Bitchin' Betty continues to talk. I've gotten to know him, and heck, I even seen him most of the week!

The operator who annouces ALL stops along Wellesley, even though Bitchin' Betty continues to talk. I've gotten to know him, and heck, I even seen him most of the week!

If he's going to announce all the stops himself, why don't you tell him to turn Bitchin' Betty off? They can do that you know, maybe someone just needs to show him how. :lol:

If he's going to announce all the stops himself, why don't you tell him to turn Bitchin' Betty off? They can do that you know, maybe someone just needs to show him how. :lol:

Because the hearing impaired such as myself rely on the screen for next stop information.

Honestly, the nicest I've ever gotten was when I was 11 and a driver let me on the 79 when I forgot my bus ticket. She was really friendly, too. Most have either been complete assholes or neutral. I've had bad experiences with mostly Wilson drivers. :lol:

Don't worry! You're bound to see a good apple when you come back!

+1