GRT Automated Announcements

Guest 1231

• 6 months later...

SVASAS.

Oh ok, yeah knew that after all! This is embarrassing! :P

I wonder if GRT is going to ever upgrade to something the SVASAS, I think it would be worth it in my opinion, even Kingston Transit has a half decent announcement system and they are way smaller than GRT...

Oh ok, yeah knew that after all! This is embarrassing! :P

I wonder if GRT is going to ever upgrade to something the SVASAS, I think it would be worth it in my opinion, even Kingston Transit has a half decent announcement system and they are way smaller than GRT...

I don't like SVASAS. It breaks down a lot more often than INIT, and the stops are not announced depending on the route, but by location (e.g: If the 7 for some strange reason detours on Weber, it will announce stops there even if it won't serve it).

The INIT upgrade system would allow a detour routing to be added if needed, plus the necessary stops (if any) that need to be added. It will also show the time on the screen, something SVASAS can't do.

The only thing I like SVASAS over INIT is that it's simple, and the announcements are generally louder than INIT.

how does it work i never heard about this until some drivers told me

It's pretty much gonna be an encrypted system. If anything happens on the bus, they'd have to press a button on the INIT screen to call dispatch, wait for a response, then pick up the phone and talk to them from there (or in YRT/Viva's case they have microphones on the left side of the bus where they can talk to dispatch so they won't have to use only one hand to drive and one hand on the phone).

sounds like grt radios might be gone in 2013 and will be replace with the INIT system thats from what i been told.

Hope it won't sound like a demented woman for next year, I find the voice so annoying. Also can anyone tell me why they tried taking the "Next Stop" part of the announcements out last year?

Hope it won't sound like a demented woman for next year, I find the voice so annoying. Also can anyone tell me why they tried taking the "Next Stop" part of the announcements out last year?

I guess drivers got annoyed by the "Next Stop" voice every single time, but the problem IMO with just announcing the stop is that it doesn't catch the attention of passengers as well as saying Next Stop. It would help if there's a sound before the announcement is said (Translink, also run by INIT, used to have a simple ding. OC Transpo has a "bum-bum" sound). I guess feedback was overwhelmingly negative with just announcing the stop so they reverted it back.

I guess drivers got annoyed by the "Next Stop" voice every single time, but the problem IMO with just announcing the stop is that it doesn't catch the attention of passengers as well as saying Next Stop. It would help if there's a sound before the announcement is said (Translink, also run by INIT, used to have a simple ding. OC Transpo has a "bum-bum" sound). I guess feedback was overwhelmingly negative with just announcing the stop so they reverted it back.

I also love the MTA New York's announcements :D