The Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

It is a pretty big cost, but also worthwhile if you get a lot of usage from the item. 

That goes for everything. A $600.00 gym pass is expensive if you only use it a couple of times. A great deal if you use it three or more times a week. 

Same with buses. If you have a barn full of buses not doing anything, it's expensive, but if they are all out on the road earning revenue, it's a good deal.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of my recommendations, as you have asked for: 1. Delete your account. No issue of being banned further. 2. Don't post a reply. Can't get banned if you don't post. 3. Don't post pi

Nice......

The next infraction (if there is one) would be a four month suspension. The one after that would be an eight month suspension. And the one after that would be a year and a half suspension!

Posted Images

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Especially with WiFi 6 being adopted to more devices along with bandwidth consumption and connected devices to support them. Pretty much squeezing a lot more out of the data pipe. Some providers like Rogers pushing people to watch television via an internet connection (IPTV) being bundled with the internet plan of course. Digital cable without internet has been mostly phased out. 

The nice thing with a gaming laptop is that you can also do regular work along with gaming. I know a few friends that have shelled out over $1,000 for one. At the same time, they are pretty powerful machines that can play games but also do the basic tasks such as web browsing and the other basics. It is a pretty big cost, but also worthwhile if you get a lot of usage from the item. 

Still, many people wanted to cut the cord (meaning cancelling their TV service altogether). I have an OTA HDTV antenna in my dad's room as a "test tube". A while back, we had received channels from not only here in Canada (most local channels), but also local TV channels (and sub-channels) from the USA (we live within range of Lake Ontario). One of my favourite local HDTV sub-channels from the states are "Charge!" and "TBD".

19 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

That goes for everything. A $600.00 gym pass is expensive if you only use it a couple of times. A great deal if you use it three or more times a week. 

Same with buses. If you have a barn full of buses not doing anything, it's expensive, but if they are all out on the road earning revenue, it's a good deal.

One way to think about it. Especially since I was thinking not buying a monthly pass, but the cost of buying a scratch card (used to be ride cards where operators would clip off a ride) and only take it when needed along with obtaining a transfer. Except the costs would most likely be higher versus a fixed price for unlimited usage. Not needing to worry about transfers or planning carefully. 

American Airlines offered an unlimited flight pass in the 1980s is $250,000 one-time payment. A companion pass is an additional $150,000. The pass would be for the rest of your lifetime. Though they eliminated most of the people on the program because of the benefits draining their revenues. Especially with the amount of flights some people with the flight pass taken. I heard one person (Steve Rothstein) took over 10,000 flights in 21 years. That is a lot of flights considering he would have to take a flight multiple times a day to reach that kind of volume.

I mean some companies find ways of generating revenue one way or another. 

• Like 1

This CBC Sports intro - brought me memories of my childhood days (it even reminded me of the PlayStation boot up screen - when that gaming console was released back in 1995):

Still with CBC Sports, would it be a good idea - if CBC airs some broadcasts involving an unlikely type of "genre" called E-Sports (aka Electronic Sports that involve video gaming)? 

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Happy New Year CPTDB family. 

May your hearts and homes be filled with Peace, Love, Warmth and Hope for a better and brighter year ahead. ♥

For me, it is a very different approach. Only goal for me is hoping 2021 will be better than 2020.

Adjusting and accounting for the measures that are still in-effect (capacity limits, mask usage and restricted seating as examples). Can't change the situation, can only change how I handle/approach it or adapt to it. 

• Like 1

If John Lennon never joined The Beatles, would he have still written "And so This is Christmas"?

If he wouldn't have written/recorded it, I wonder in the universe of the movie "Yesterday" where the Beatles no longer exist and the protagonist; a struggling musician remembers their songs so he decides to pass off the Beatles' songs as his own and becomes famous.

Assuming John Lennon never wrote/recorded "And so this is Christmas", I wonder what Christmas song the charity would use in its place showing starving children in Africa.

Just set the PVR to record the last episode of Alex Trebek's Jeopardy tomorrow. Especially seeing the last few final episodes that have aired this week. They always produce them months in advance before the air date.

Starting Monday, it is Ken Jennings who will be hosting temporarily. Having the longest winning streak on the show with 74 consecutive wins with 75 appearances on the show. That is a pretty long streak especially accumulating over $4.5 million dollars in winnings. 

Will be interesting who will be retained long-term. Looking forward to what Ken has to bring to the table. Reminds me of how Wheel of Fortune still has Vanna White and Pat Sajak hosting the show for almost 30 years. 

(I've been thinking about to discuss this for some time, but) I really wish that people who work in retail (especially those who work in "loss prevention") - should be trained on how to deal with customers with disabilities (visible or invisible).

There was one time that I used to "boycott" against a music store over 20 years ago (well before the advent of social media) in protest. One of the workers accused me of stealing but actually, I didn't steal anything. My mom was very upset about how the store handled my treatment. I was a bit traumatized (and humiliated) back then (and at that time, I didn't have any "means" (back then) on how and where to make a complaint aganist the music store - it was a once popular music store chain that sold CDs and cassettes). I would have complained to the Human Rights Commission about this, but as I had pointed out - I didn't have any means back then.

I sometimes compared that against one lady who got falsely accused by a store employee of stealing at a clothing store, but instead she took pictures of some clothing that she wanted to share to one of her friends (or family members). That embarassing incident was even caught on tape (she even vented her anger on social media - which garnered over one hundred thousand views). As for that employee who accused the lady of stealing - she was eventually sacked (fired, canned, terminated).

I once invited her to guest on my live stream for my Twitch channel 1.5 years ago (in 2019), but sadly - she didn't return my message for that request.

Starbucks is eliminating 300 locations in Canada. Noting from the last count, they have over 1,500 locations. 

Especially with a lot of the aggressive expansion into more areas. Some have a Starbucks location within a few hundred meters of each other depending on the population density to handle the popularity and volumes. A lot of costs to accommodate handling the market share. Reminds me of how Shoppers Drug Mart added 324 new locations from 2006 to 2010. They have roughly 1,350 locations. 

Dollarama also being the same adding a few hundred locations in the last few years. Last count, it is around 1,300 locations and plans to add a few hundred more in the next few years. I know some areas, there are two right near each other by a mere kilometre carrying the same products.

I think with the pandemic and people not having as much disposable income on more expensive items, have to adjust for that situation. Though it will be interesting how expensive it will be reducing the location footprint along with the leases on some locations. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7571716/starbucks-300-store-closures/?utm_source=GlobalNews&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2yFKA9QBHFCKRVenh5Na9QPH4aejpWPQg_79jkyIZrkeFSvmO5jBOcKnk

• Sad 1

Starbucks without a drive thru seem destined for closure.  Interesting that the locations in Chapters/indigo are closed, but those inside Safeway and Save-On are open.  There is also starbucks move to express locations, no lobby, just a drive thru and walk up window and more reliance on on-line ordering

1 hour ago, Benton Harper said:

Starbucks without a drive thru seem destined for closure.  Interesting that the locations in Chapters/indigo are closed, but those inside Safeway and Save-On are open.  There is also starbucks move to express locations, no lobby, just a drive thru and walk up window and more reliance on on-line ordering

Interesting. I guess a lot of people in a hurry and can't be bothered to sit down and enjoy their coffee in a ceramic cup / mug. I must be one of a dying breed. Coffee tastes so much better in a real cup (and also not contributing to garbage / landfill is a plus) when you take the time to savor it. My first cup usually goes down quick, but that second cup is an indescribable pleasure. I can't wait for 'dine - in' to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/13/2021 at 2:43 AM, Benton Harper said:

On 1/13/2021 at 4:40 AM, captaintrolley said:

Interesting. I guess a lot of people in a hurry and can't be bothered to sit down and enjoy their coffee in a ceramic cup / mug. I must be one of a dying breed. Coffee tastes so much better in a real cup (and also not contributing to garbage / landfill is a plus) when you take the time to savor it. My first cup usually goes down quick, but that second cup is an indescribable pleasure. I can't wait for 'dine - in' to return.

I was wondering if this is a response to COVID-19 and they're figuring on a lot more takeout business.  It is a complete reversal from the whole idea of staying in and lingering over coffee which has famously been abused by customers getting something, then sitting down for hours and hours on end using their laptops as if Starbucks is a replacement office or study hall.

I remember being in more than one Starbucks where it was impossible to get a set and I stood there counting the number of laptops and number of power bars that had been thrown down on the floor so all these laptops could be plugged in since their owners were clearly planning on staying for longer than their computers' batteries could hold up for.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

I was wondering if this is a response to COVID-19 and they're figuring on a lot more takeout business.  It is a complete reversal from the whole idea of staying in and lingering over coffee which has famously been abused by customers getting something, then sitting down for hours and hours on end using their laptops as if Starbucks is a replacement office or study hall.

I remember being in more than one Starbucks where it was impossible to get a set and I stood there counting the number of laptops and number of power bars that had been thrown down on the floor so all these laptops could be plugged in since their owners were clearly planning on staying for longer than their computers' batteries could hold up for.

There are many cafes which have fallen victim to the coffee nursing laptop users. I have often had to stand and wait several minutes (like 15-20 or more minutes) for a table with my coffee and muffin (or whatever).  Now I just go up to a table (that usually has two or three empty seats and one occupant with laptop) and ask if I may sit there. I am civil about it, but the undertone of my request may be a bit on the snide side.  Mostly the lone occupant is oblivious though. They seldom even look up from their laptop.

Right now though, during covid, many coffee shops, restaurants etc. are banking on take-out as their only means of survival. What bothers me at this level, is all the garbage that this pandemic is generating.

At least the coffee shop across from me lets me consume my coffee in a ceramic cup. I get a double espresso with cold milk (so good, the cold milk actually give the coffee a nice silky texture - better than hot or steamed milk) - so the beverage is cold, and I gulp it at the counter while putting my change away. So technically, not dining in, and not generating garbage.

Still, I'd rather sit and drink it at a table, with an orange and a crossword puzzle. Any other way hurts my brain.

• Like 2

I really wished that many stores (and even transit agencies) - should offer Alipay and WeChat Pay a form for paying for transit.

One of the newer PRESTO Card (a transit farecard system in Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area and Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) readers have a barcode/QR code reader that will eventually accept e-tickets and even QR code payments. 

I would imagine if the PRESTO team decides to test pilot QR Code payments, then they will choose York Region Transit as a testing ground. The reason: York Region has a very high demographic of Chinese people living working and (indirectly) studying there (excuse for being too political). 

Still with Alipay and WeChat Pay, one of my local computer stores accept/offer Alipay and WeChat Pay (along with China Union Pay and Japan's JCB) as a form of payment. Even one of my local 7-Eleven offer that too. 

2 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I really wished that many stores (and even transit agencies) - should offer Alipay and WeChat Pay a form for paying for transit.

One of the newer PRESTO Card (a transit farecard system in Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area and Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) readers have a barcode/QR code reader that will eventually accept e-tickets and even QR code payments. 

I would imagine if the PRESTO team decides to test pilot QR Code payments, then they will choose York Region Transit as a testing ground. The reason: York Region has a very high demographic of Chinese people living working and (indirectly) studying there (excuse for being too political). 

Still with Alipay and WeChat Pay, one of my local computer stores accept/offer Alipay and WeChat Pay (along with China Union Pay and Japan's JCB) as a form of payment. Even one of my local 7-Eleven offer that too. 

Yeah what happened to the QR code thing, metrolinx started to install the new ones  just before the pandemic.... gusss that has taken a back seat for now... 

• Sad 1

It seems that racism and discrimation will never end and will remain with us for the rest of our lives.

There was one time that I was "unfairly stopped" by mall security a decade ago (2011). From what I had remembered, these folks think I was familiar to them (based on my similar appearance). Here's what I recall:

1) Mall security stopped me due to the fact that they (assumingly) think I know them based on my appearance.
2) I was then asked to provide ID (in which I was compelled to show).
3) Mall security relays the details to their management while at the same time asked me questions.
4) After about 5 minutes, I was let go.

This really had a detrimental effect on my well-being on what I had encountered. At first, I'm worried that they are going to issue a "notice of tresspassing" even though I didn't do anything wrong. I would have escalated this to the mall's management or even to the Human Rights Commission! For the latter, it would have involved a lengthy and costly process. 

This even reminded me about the lady I had mentioned earlier in this thread. I now remembered the name of the lady who suffered the similar ordeal - but against a store. Her name: "Lisa Calderon". She even decided to file a human rights complaint against the store as well (two years after that uneventul and traumatic incident). It had a detrimental effect on her too.