Jump to content

The Random Thoughts Thread


Recommended Posts

On 8/10/2020 at 3:40 PM, captaintrolley said:

Agreed. In my case sometimes I just don't feel like getting out of PJ's, and taking the bus in inclement weather. I don't mind cold weather, but I detest very hot weather, or lots of snow and or ice. My right leg is giving me problems and I can't trust it in deep snow or ice. Different if one has a vehicle.

And recently with all places being closed due to Covid protocols, delivery was the better option for me over take-out.  Actually cooking at home was my first option.

I took an Uber (to the flea market a few weekends ago) for the first time in months since the pandemic. The Uber drive that I rode on was wearing a mask and she talked about how the pandemic is affecting the quality of life right now.

The conversation lasted around 10 minutes until I arrived to my destination. I then gave the driver a generous tip.

Speaking of tipping, I heard that many restaurants are banning tips. Is that true?

 

Anyhoo, just a bit of catchiness - does these videos look like they go toward an infinite loop (while I'm familiar with that car dealership in Manitoba, I'm familiar with the store "Fabricland" (which had stores mostly in Ontario)?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few of my recommendations, as you have asked for: 1. Delete your account. No issue of being banned further. 2. Don't post a reply. Can't get banned if you don't post. 3. Don't post pi

The next infraction (if there is one) would be a four month suspension. The one after that would be an eight month suspension. And the one after that would be a year and a half suspension!

Nice......

Posted Images

Sometimes I find myself listening to music that was released a certain amount of time ago, and I wonder about the story behind that song, and how the artist has dealt with whatever it was that inspired that story in the years afterwards.

Lately, I've been on a bit of a Gordon Lightfoot kick. His song I'm Not Supposed To Care, about a promise to his former love that if she ever needed someone to fall back on, he'd be there for her, even though she'd found someone else. That was released 44 years ago. Does he still remember her? Do feelings like this fade if the person ends up finding a love that lasts? Can you still harbour a certain level of affection for someone after such a long time, with or without a lasting love in your life?

That's probably the most extreme example in terms of timescale, but really my ponderings could apply to just about anything that's had a few years to age. Any older song about a break up/love/friendship gone wrong. Do those people think about those people, even now? Have they all but forgotten the affection they held for them at one point? Fascinating stuff to think about.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've refused to admit this to myself for a long time, but... summer kind of sucks?

Sure, it's cool during regular times, because you've got events, you've got vacations, you've got places to go, people to see, all that jazz. You take away all of that, and what are you left with but a miserable time where every moment you're separated from an air-conditioner is a living hell?

I might be bitter, though, because my polarizing sun glasses don't work with car windshields and I just burned my eyes out, and my car's A/C has been dead since 2016.

Bring on the fall!

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

I've refused to admit this to myself for a long time, but... summer kind of sucks?

Sure, it's cool during regular times, because you've got events, you've got vacations, you've got places to go, people to see, all that jazz. You take away all of that, and what are you left with but a miserable time where every moment you're separated from an air-conditioner is a living hell?

I might be bitter, though, because my polarizing sun glasses don't work with car windshields and I just burned my eyes out, and my car's A/C has been dead since 2016.

Bring on the fall!

Summer sucks.  It's too hot and the UV is too strong during the day to do much.  Take away the nice things that go with it and this summer totally sucks.

Actually, apart from the heat, it feels like summer hasn't even started yet because none of the regular summer things has happened.  That leaves staying inside at home to avoid the heat and UV and going to work, and that's all that I've been doing since life's been cancelled otherwise.  I'm really really really really hoping that indoor football goes this fall otherwise I'm going to be bouncing off the walls from boredom.  Should know more in a week or two.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Fall is my favourite season by far but there's a good chance it's going to end up being incredibly boring too.  I already put a couple of senior citizens in the family on notice that if indoor football goes ahead, I will be playing, and that's final and they can cocoon themselves in their condo until further notice if they're scared I might become contaminated.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Summer sucks.  It's too hot and the UV is too strong during the day to do much.  Take away the nice things that go with it and this summer totally sucks.

Actually, apart from the heat, it feels like summer hasn't even started yet because none of the regular summer things has happened.  That leaves staying inside at home to avoid the heat and UV and going to work, and that's all that I've been doing since life's been cancelled otherwise.  I'm really really really really hoping that indoor football goes this fall otherwise I'm going to be bouncing off the walls from boredom.  Should know more in a week or two.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Fall is my favourite season by far but there's a good chance it's going to end up being incredibly boring too.  I already put a couple of senior citizens in the family on notice that if indoor football goes ahead, I will be playing, and that's final and they can cocoon themselves in their condo until further notice if they're scared I might become contaminated.

Hope the football games go ahead! We need little things like that to keep us going.

For a few years I've been trying to make it into Toronto on November 1 to photograph one of the pumpkin parades happening around town. Something's always come up, whether it be inclement weather, or not having access to the car. I thought this would finally be my year, but I'm almost certain that they're going to get cancelled, despite the fact that, as an activity, they're as tame as a pet rabbit. I hope to be proven wrong, but I might as well wish to get the last 6 months of my life back.

I'm with you on fall being the best season. It's neither hot nor cold, and it's visually stunning. I'm already seeing some people (hopefully incorrectly) worrying that they're going to bring back the stay at home orders in the fall, but if they don't, I'll try to make things interesting by going out for photo walks as often as my job will allow me to. There's pretty much nothing interesting to photograph during the summer unless you have a dramatic landscape, or a sunrise/sunset, but pretty much everything is more interesting to look at, in the day, during the fall, so I hope that I can really practice with some interesting compositions and get some enjoyment out of it all.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Many concert venues in my hometown had closed - mostly due to the pandemic. The owners' tried to convince their landlords for a break but sadly, the landlords were reluctant to answer the owners' demands.

If I was a mayor for a city, then I would introduce a motion for venue owners to collect a "surcharge" from attendees who attend a concert or an event (like a fair).

The charge can either be collected upon arrival or be included on the ticket (this reminds me of the familiar "Airport Improvement Fee" (or Departure Tax depending on where you live ) that is collected upon departure (or nowadays embedded in the cost of the airline ticket).

Only problem is, the public will never know where will the money (that was being collected) go. That would have a big turn off on going to concerts and festivals. However, the fees collected would help sustain the city on providing funding for concert venues and organizers.

Anyone remembered when a TV show im Canada called "CBC Marketplace" did a story about the nonsensical tax being levied in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada called the "Tourist Levy" (or something like that)? While some tourist attractions/businesses there may give an opportunity for visitors opt out on paying the "tourist tax", others are not letting visitors having a choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Many concert venues in my hometown had closed - mostly due to the pandemic. The owners' tried to convince their landlords for a break but sadly, the landlords were reluctant to answer the owners' demands.

If I was a mayor for a city, then I would introduce a motion for venue owners to collect a "surcharge" from attendees who attend a concert or an event (like a fair).

The charge can either be collected upon arrival or be included on the ticket (this reminds me of the familiar "Airport Improvement Fee" (or Departure Tax depending on where you live ) that is collected upon departure (or nowadays embedded in the cost of the airline ticket).

Only problem is, the public will never know where will the money (that was being collected) go. That would have a big turn off on going to concerts and festivals. However, the fees collected would help sustain the city on providing funding for concert venues and organizers.

Anyone remembered when a TV show im Canada called "CBC Marketplace" did a story about the nonsensical tax being levied in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada called the "Tourist Levy" (or something like that)? While some tourist attractions/businesses there may give an opportunity for visitors opt out on paying the "tourist tax", others are not letting visitors having a choice.

I remember that episode regarding the "tourist tax" and how some places will charge that fee. Haven't been to Niagara Falls in years despite wanting to do a trip for a few days (weekend Go Train service). Along with CBC Marketplace and talking about the different scenarios and scams out there.

Ticketmaster always likes to collect the different fees regarding special events noting the monopoly power they have. I know in Ottawa, they collect a public transit fee for Bluesfest and TD Place events (additional service provided from that fee). 

It is going to be a challenge noting that retail is also going through a similar issue. Noting some are declaring bankruptcy and others restructuring. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 8:00 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

I remember that episode regarding the "tourist tax" and how some places will charge that fee. Haven't been to Niagara Falls in years despite wanting to do a trip for a few days (weekend Go Train service). 

Ticketmaster always likes to collect the different fees regarding special events noting the monopoly power they have. I know in Ottawa, they collect a public transit fee for Bluesfest and TD Place events (additional service provided from that fee). 

Still with taxes and fees, I remember that there was an ad campaign brought by the cable companies back in 2009 about the opposition of the "TV Tax".

At that time, local TV stations were struggling due to the recession. Some of the TV stations went off the air, while others scaled back their programming. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Random thought: I always find that a lot of the world relies on computers and technology to deliver products and services. Especially with how some companies like Facebook and Amazon are built on web platforms to try and keep users safe from malicious attack.

At the same time, was reading about CitiGroup trying to replace outdated technology and software with a more modern industry standard. Instead losing $900 million in the process and trying to recover that being in a legal battle. Especially with the pandemic and how banks can't really afford downtime due to the heavy reliance of being able to handle the massive volume of transactions and other kinds of information related to banking. 

Phoenix (federal payroll system) is another one where they pushed out the new platform without testing or training. Leading to technical issues and planned to replace with a new vendor to try and build the system that is supposed to save money in the long-term. Instead, the new technology is costing more money than it is saving. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Long post.... multiple edits.

It's been 18 long years, since I last seen my High School Crush. We've lost one too many classmates as preventable motor vehicle accidents and drug overdoses become a thing of the normal day thing. Had so many shoulda, woulda, and coulda moments in my own life.....Always took the 68 Warden after school, so I could just be with you a while longer. I didn't even have to look around, because I knew where you would sit on the bus ( Closed-Side last seat ). When I saw you're reflection in the window of the Orion V Bus, my heart skipped a beat.

18 Years has gone by and I know you are not the same person as before. I know you've opened up and you are presenting yourself too the world through music. 

I don't know if it is you, but I am 85% certain that the photograph of this mature woman playing the Piano is you. I knew in my heart that one day you will become famous and forget everything and everyone during your High School days. I really didn't even get a chance to say that you're, stunningly beautiful.  I didn't and I'm sure you also didn't go too Prom, because going to Prom without you would be like going to my own funeral.

Time has changed for both of us and during these 18 years, I always had you in the back of my head. Not sure what you were doing, where and which part of the World you are in, who were you dating, who you were sleeping with, if you still have any memories of me. Did he satisfy you when he was inside of you or did you want more that he couldn't give?

I had to move on after high school; and we parted ways without saying anything too each other. I knew just one day that I would see you again in different setting and situation. It was the middle of winter earlier this year in January, we were on the line 1 subway and I was on my way too meet up with my bus as I took over 6 Bay. I was in my Transit Uniform and you were in a nice Louis Vuitton Winter jacket. Our eyes met for a moment, I smiled and nodded.... I could tell you were blushing and I had to look away from your stunning beauty. You got off at King Station and looked back at me as the train accelerated towards Union..... unspoken words, feelings of emptiness, and despair as the tunnels fill the darkness.

First it was Yut-Long, then it was Michelle, there was Yukiko, Ashley, Tram, Mary, Heidi, Rimshah, Tabitha and Vicky. What have I got too loose if I could go back in time and change the way that history was written or change the past too make it too benefit myself instead of others? I know what I am saying is all make belief, but I know in an alternate universe that some way, some how we are together or its just my wishful thinking?

Anyways, I hope that you are staying safe and healthy wherever you're piano performances take you. COVID-19 is such a serious virus and especially when you are in a populated city like Shanghai, China. I wish you all the best wherever you are and I hope / pray that I see you again. 

Edited by KMB_BUS
More thoughts and spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I just had this thought in mind for sometime, but after much considering - I wanted to share a story about receiving poor service (that lead me to file a complaint) against an unlikely source: a social worker.

I used to had a social worker many years ago (that upsets me to this day) in which she accuses me of arriving too early for her appointment. She sometimes gives negative advice to me and I was very upset about her. I would have vented this frustation on my personal blog (which was since been closed) or even on social media. I told my dad about this issue about the negative level of service I had received and he agrees with my views. 

I tried to contact that social worker in question about following up to see her - things went from bad to worse.  The way that she spoke to me on the phone really hurt me - it resulted me on immediately hanging up the phone on her (or this: simply dialing another number on a phone which immediately cut her off) When that social worker phoned me a while back to book an appointment to see her - I would told her that I called back and will think about it. The next day, I filed a complaint against her senior management accusing her for providing poor, biased service for my wellbeing/support. A few minutes later, I received a call - by her direct manager (or probably her senior manager).  I "painted a picture" (discussed) to her direct manager about my encounter with the social worker I had assigned. I've discussed the details to her and I had fear that the social worker in question - will spread hate and blackmail against me on why I had complained to her. I then suspended her meetings for a few months and (on behalf of her direct/senior manager) she apologized to me.  I really don't want to damage her reputation as a social worker but judging by her appearance and attitude towards me, I don't want my encounter with her to be spread toward others.

Since then, I haven't made any dealings with her as my file had closed. I'm not sure if I had did the right thing or the wrong thing on filing a complaint against a social worker?

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 years ago: The Social Network film came out (how Facebook was created) even though there are inaccuracies in the film

Today: The Social Dilemma comes out on Netflix (September 9/20) discussing the controversy regarding how social media platforms have been used such as fake news and mental health concerns

A lot definitely changes in 10 years reading an article years ago by Macleans about social media algorithms. 

23 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I just had this thought in mind for sometime, but after much considering - I wanted to share a story about receiving poor service (that lead me to file a complaint) against an unlikely source: a social worker.

I used to had a social worker many years ago (that upsets me to this day) in which she accuses me of arriving too early for her appointment. She sometimes gives negative advice to me and I was very upset about her. I would have vented this frustation on my personal blog (which was since been closed) or even on social media. I told my dad about this issue about the negative level of service I had received and he agrees with my views. 

I tried to contact that social worker in question about following up to see her - things went from bad to worse.  The way that she spoke to me on the phone really hurt me - it resulted me on immediately hanging up the phone on her (or this: simply dialing another number on a phone which immediately cut her off) When that social worker phoned me a while back to book an appointment to see her - I would told her that I called back and will think about it. The next day, I filed a complaint against her senior management accusing her for providing poor, biased service for my wellbeing/support. A few minutes later, I received a call - by her direct manager (or probably her senior manager).  I "painted a picture" (discussed) to her direct manager about my encounter with the social worker I had assigned. I've discussed the details to her and I had fear that the social worker in question - will spread hate and blackmail against me on why I had complained to her. I then suspended her meetings for a few months and (on behalf of her direct/senior manager) she apologized to me.  I really don't want to damage her reputation as a social worker but judging by her appearance and attitude towards me, I don't want my encounter with her to be spread toward others.

Since then, I haven't made any dealings with her as my file had closed. I'm not sure if I had did the right thing or the wrong thing on filing a complaint against a social worker?

I think you did the right thing filing the complaint because being a social worker is a demanding job especially mentally. Some people who have a passion for the field while others simply do it for the money and stability. Considering there will always be a need for them.

If things aren't working out, she could give a referral to another social worker rather than talk down about a client. Not everything will work perfectly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I think you did the right thing filing the complaint because being a social worker is a demanding job especially mentally. Some people who have a passion for the field while others simply do it for the money and stability. Considering there will always be a need for them.

If things aren't working out, she could give a referral to another social worker rather than talk down about a client. Not everything will work perfectly.

Thanks for your comment. I used to have a blog (that once was dubbed "The Fox News of Blogging") on wordpress to discuss second options and other related matter. I also once had a Livejournal too (sadly, that was closed down due to the rash of spam comments and lacking features for viewers to contact me for suggestions, comments, etc.).

A lot of things change with the advent of social media. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed recently, at least in my feed of videos on youtube, that the commenters are either a) extremely insightful, adding in side notes or pointing out things that I'd have never known about what I was watching, or b) just ridiculously funny. Gone for me at least, are the days of seeing ridiculous arguments lol

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

NO!  NO!  NO! NO!  NO!  NO!

Apparently here in Canada, today, October 1st, is National Seniors Day.

Excuse me, I don't think so.  Not after 2020 has been turned into National Seniors Year with the way everyone under the age of 60 has been thrown under the wheels keeping everything running during the pandemic but simultaneously shit on for being suspected plague carriers.  Not after they picked everything clean taking advantage of all the post-war programs their parents put in place, taking advantage of the affordable educations, affordable real estate, affordable energy, enjoyed the period of greatest prosperity the world has ever seen, accumulated unprecedented wealth as the middle class boomed, reaped the benefits of stable, well compensated cash+benefits+pension employment, enjoyed the highest standard of living the world's ever seen, and then immediately started scrapping it all once it came time to pay it forward to the next generations coming along because it's "too expensive", then retired and kicked back to watch the massive slide backwards knowing full well that the kids, the grandkids, the great grandkids and everyone coming after isn't going to have it nearly as good as they did.  But that doesn't matter because it doesn't affect them.  COVID-19 might affect them so stay away, get back to work, and do your job to do your part to keep their cushy existence going but don't expect a raise.  Don't expect any pandemic premiums to come back if you had one in the first place.  If on the very rare chance you have a defined benefit pension plan, expect it to be redefined.  If you have a defined contribution pension plan, expect the employer contribution side to be pared down or eliminated entirely.  Expect your pay to be frozen.  Expect any pandemic assistance from your bank to be fully charged out with interest.  Expect your wallet to be vacuumed out every whichway to keep the investment returns up for old fogies collection pensions from plans you'll never get to participate in, even while it crimps your ability to save for your own retirement, assuming you can retire at all and not work until you drop.

In closing, if you're an old fart complaining about the <60 crowd and particularly the <40 crowd that's busting themselves to keep your cushy existence going, get stuffed.  Go watch some crappy daytime television or something and get the hell out of the way.  Or play golf.  It's a beautiful day.  Go hit the links.  Go tell the golf course staff you're not going to give them a tip because they don't deserve it because they're lucky to have jobs or something.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Now that's something I can go along with.  I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee as we speak while I flog electrons...

Lately, the latest Bell Internet commercials (in Canada) are just stuck to my head.

This ones is my personal favourite:

I'm still waiting to see if there is a variant that features a lady in the kitchen (with a British accent) trying to follow a cooking video that features a female chef in a Southern American accent until the video buffers and cuts off.

Without knowing, the lady in the kitchen was surprised to see the actual chef that appeared in the video - right in her kitchen! If you don't understand on what I'm saying, here's an excerpt:

The chef tells the lady that "she's not adding enough flavour" and tells her "it's not your cooking, or your family - it's your internet".

The chef then walks away but the lady asks her (with the smoke alarm in the background): "NO, don't go - I can change, I'LL CHANGE...!"

After that the another lady in the voice over says, "To Faster Internet Speeds. Pure Fibre Internet."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

What are these things and why do restaurants give these out instead of a menu?  I know you do something to these with a cell phone, but I have no idea what or how. And I do not like waitstaff or hosts / hostesses assuming everyone has a cell phone.

324172.image0.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pccstreetcar4549 said:

It’s a QR code, it’s like a shortcut basically you scan with your  phones camera , but yeah I agree with you they shouldn’t assume everyone has a smartphone 

I thought you could only take photos or videos with the camera. That's all mine does, and I don't know how to take video with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...