The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

You get used to it.  I hardly notice the difference going between the two anymore.  Do yours have the white background CSA label with the Omega that indicates that they've got the electrical resistance rating?  If so, you're on your way to the dark side, the evil world of being a cruel and ruthless master, rounding up huge numbers of electrons against their will and putting 'em to work.

Nope, just green triangle for now.

Between carrying around double the weight on my feet, and the constant lifting of heavy objects, I am probably going to be more in shape by the time I finish at this job than I ever have been in my life!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Between carrying around double the weight on my feet, and the constant lifting of heavy objects, I am probably going to be more in shape by the time I finish at this job than I ever have been in my life!

For sure.  It’s actually pretty depressing when you leave a job like that which has been keeping you in great shape and then seeing your physical condition start to slide after it’s over.  Right now, with the way all the gyms along with everything else are closed, you’re probably well ahead of most other people who are stuck at home who are gaining weight from lack of activity.

D1C64261-A5E5-4A31-BF63-0E28BB3BEED5.thumb.jpeg.cc5bb13bd54de61a4fa866fa17f57e51.jpeg

I ended up shuffling some equipment around earlier today and hefting these old boat anchors around definitely keeps one in shape.  Getting that impedance analyzer into its permanent location was a bit of a wrestling match and I needed it off my bench because I was starting a build this evening.

D1A6D881-BEDA-4A19-8250-B1C269216861.thumb.jpeg.3d0531942dbc4c3b7179e863b19bce89.jpeg

And that’s the very start of the build.  Notice the test lead with the grabbers that’s plugged into the lower left multimeter and the magnifier?  That leads me to today’s random thought:  I swear resistor colour bands are scientifically designed to make you go blind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Dirty hands=clean money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, TransitfanJW said:

I hate Twitter.

You're not alone. Sometimes, I hate when the teachers that I knew back in the days and made some bad remarks about me - have their own Twitter account. Besides, I would never, ever tip an Uber or Lyft drivers - who happens to be one of those teachers that I hate because she called me "chicken scratch" because she discriminated my handwriting and called me a "baby". That hurts.

If I have the power, I would have filmed the ordeal on my camera phone and eventually share it on social media. Not sure if that would be a good idea.

6 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

You're not alone. Sometimes, I hate when the teachers that I knew back in the days and made some bad remarks about me - have their own Twitter account. Besides, I would never, ever tip an Uber or Lyft drivers - who happens to be one of those teachers that I hate because she called me "chicken scratch" because she discriminated my handwriting and called me a "baby". That hurts.

If I have the power, I would have filmed the ordeal on my camera phone and eventually share it on social media. Not sure if that would be a good idea.

You should. Evidence is always important.

The site's poorly managed as well. I recently heard of a person who had connections to a higher-up at Twitter and was pretty much able to report and suspend anyone he wanted.

All while tweets like this somehow stay up: https://bit.ly/2AIiBg0

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TransitfanJW said:

You should. Evidence is always important.

The only concern that the school district (or school board as we call it in Canadian province of Ontario) will eventually file a lawsuit against me - for breaching the privacy of their employees (even though that my schooling days are over and no longer under the authority) just by releasing the video on social media.

If they do, I will countersuit them (and the person who negligently discriminated me) - in retaliation!

Reminds me when one student in Vancouver, BC, Canada filed a lawsuit against the school board there along with a teacher that she's wrongfully abused physically and verbally - 40+ years ago. I couldn't find an article about that unfortunately. 

You know you've been reading entirely too much about viruses when you read "Škoda HN2" (the name of an axle used on old Škoda trolleys) and your mind instead thinks of H2N2 influenza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

You know you've been reading entirely too much about viruses when you read "Škoda HN2" (the name of an axle used on old Škoda trolleys) and your mind instead thinks of H2N2 influenza.

Happens to me too, only with the words Napoleon and Neapolitan, my mind reads them as Neoplan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Over the course of this week, my home phone has been "infested" and "infuriated" with those calls that has a "V" identifer followed with some random numbers. What's even worse, I even get phone numbers that came out as a local call - some of those numbers contain those from legitmiate businesses that I don't even deal with!

I wish that there should be a solution out there with those problem. I would imagine if there such a solution implemented - to slow the scammer down. Only problem is, it's going to create a "speed bump" for legitimate businesses (such as your doctor, pharmacy, vetinarian, etc.) on trying to reach out to you by phone.

1 hour ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Over the course of this week, my home phone has been "infested" and "infuriated" with those calls that has a "V" identifer followed with some random numbers. What's even worse, I even get phone numbers that came out as a local call - some of those numbers contain those from legitmiate businesses that I don't even deal with!

I wish that there should be a solution out there with those problem. I would imagine if there such a solution implemented - to slow the scammer down. Only problem is, it's going to create a "speed bump" for legitimate businesses (such as your doctor, pharmacy, vetinarian, etc.) on trying to reach out to you by phone.

If you're with Telus, then subscribe to call control. I have it and it works super great. The basic version is free. Both basic and premium filter out MOST (like 99%)  of those annoying calls. The only difference is that the basic will only let you program 25 calls into the 'accepted caller' list, and only log the last 10 incoming calls. I find that the basic version is sufficient.  Most telephone companies provide a similar service, they just may call it something else.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/call-control-explained

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:14 PM, captaintrolley said:

If you're with Telus, then subscribe to call control. I have it and it works super great. The basic version is free. Both basic and premium filter out MOST (like 99%)  of those annoying calls. The only difference is that the basic will only let you program 25 calls into the 'accepted caller' list, and only log the last 10 incoming calls. I find that the basic version is sufficient.  Most telephone companies provide a similar service, they just may call it something else.

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/call-control-explained

I haven't paid a single cent with my home phone service in many years - as I had ported my home phone  number that I had since my childhood days to a service called "FreePhoneLine". Although it involved a range of tedious and technical configuration (you have to buy a special device called an "ATA adapter" (or Analogue Telephone Adapter) and a configuration file called a "VOIP unlock key), I've been using the service for almost three years now.

I also have a Magicjack as well (I know it may be silly for me to have two different phone lines at home but one of them is used for certain situations) however, you have to pay an annual fee for the service on top of another annual fee for a Canadian Phone Number.

Just a hunch, sometimes scammers can sniff for information - even on secured connections. This is why I recently started to buy what's called a VPN to protect my devices wherever I go. Even with that, scammers can slip through the cracks!

Anothe thing that I wanted to share is that the data breach involving Uber many years played a role on having myself receiving those suspicious calls and/or texts. The similar case is true when there was that data breach involving the Canada Student Loans Privacy Breach.

That too might have transpired with my situation. 

(This reply was posted from my Samsung Galaxy S9)

On 2/16/2020 at 10:17 PM, J. S. Bach said:

Mine is a 270 series 2. Great meter, I use it more than the digital one that I have.

I had never seen a 270 in person until earlier this evening but I found one listed online for sale locally for a price that was more than reasonable so I contacted the seller and it was still available.  It’s a beautiful evening so I took a nice, relaxed drive up the hill from home with all of windows down and picked it up.

F1A61610-65A6-4FAD-8265-EE6D90B047C0.thumb.jpeg.f980fd6807cd2c187047a33c2691b610.jpeg

It’s another Canadian made Bach-Simpson variation, a 270 Custom 5.  I’ll put it through it’s paces on the bench tomorrow evening if I have some time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone here a fan of UberEats, SkiptheDishes (in Canada), DoorDash, GrubHub, Postmates or anyone food delivery service provider out there?

There was one time that another provider named "Foodora" reigned the food delivery scene in Canada. Sadly, because of the workers who had formed the union demanding better conditions amongst other stuff, Foodors immediately left Canada. In its place is another provider named "Facedrive Foods".

1 hour ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Anyone here a fan of UberEats, SkiptheDishes (in Canada), DoorDash, GrubHub, Postmates or anyone food delivery service provider out there?

I've used Door Dash a few times, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Mostly because when you add up all the tip, GST, and assorted 'postage and handling', it's another $15.00-$20.00.  And they always get lost around my building.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

There was one time that another provider named "Foodora" reigned the food delivery scene in Canada. Sadly, because of the workers who had formed the union demanding better conditions amongst other stuff, Foodors immediately left Canada. In its place is another provider named "Facedrive Foods".

I mostly use UberEats, but I can understand the concerns/issues regarding fees for both customers and the restaurant. Especially for the smaller businesses, it can be pretty much a loss on the entire order unless they increase the markup to compensate. Operating on very thin profit margins to stay afloat.

On top, where the tip goes. Food delivery platforms would take a cut of that before being transparent on saying "the tip goes entirely to the delivery worker."

16 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I've used Door Dash a few times, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Mostly because when you add up all the tip, GST, and assorted 'postage and handling', it's another $15.00-$20.00.  And they always get lost around my building.

KFC was charging $2.99 for delivery via UberEats for me. It was previously $1.99 and before that, was the standard rate of 99 cents. Before the 10 percent service fee. For under $12 orders, it is an extra $2. The pricing is the same as the restaurant.

Except, I am less than 5 minutes driving from KFC. I have ordered from businesses that are 20 minutes away and they charge the standard 99 cents plus the service fee.

Sometimes, it is easier to just go directly into the business versus just ordering via a food delivery app. Convenience is pretty much what drives the food delivery platforms.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Convenience is pretty much what drives the food delivery platforms.   

Agreed. In my case sometimes I just don't feel like getting out of PJ's, and taking the bus in inclement weather. I don't mind cold weather, but I detest very hot weather, or lots of snow and or ice. My right leg is giving me problems and I can't trust it in deep snow or ice. Different if one has a vehicle.

And recently with all places being closed due to Covid protocols, delivery was the better option for me over take-out.  Actually cooking at home was my first option.

• Like 1