buswizard

The Random Thoughts Thread

Why do cell phone providers make it so difficult to get through to them?  Spent a few minutes on Rogers 'Live Chat', putting up with all kinds of BS scripted templates when the guy finally types back that my 'Pay As You Go' account is not supported by 'Live Chat' and he gave me a number to call. Spent a good 10 minutes on that pressing all kinds of numbers because none of their menu options dealt with my 'problem'. Finally got through to a real person. Took long enough. Anyhow, I did get my request for 'port protection' put in place. She said it would take 24-72 hours to activate the 'request'. One would think with all the talk in the media regarding phone number 'porting' that this request would be one of the menu options. Would sure save a lot of 'running around' on their menu options.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/15/2020 at 1:48 PM, PCC Guy said:

Speaking of foamers, I had a really unpleasant interaction with one from Bratislava that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

There is a trolleybus in storage at one of their tram yards that is officially indicated as a historic vehicle, but in reality may be too far gone to save (a decision has not yet been made, and scrapping has not yet commenced). This bus is wildly unpopular in the community; I became a pariah when I defended the decision to designate it historic (on a value basis, not a condition basis - I accept not everything can be saved, but we also should not be letting purist manchildren dictate what should and shouldn't be kept). I was in contact with someone from the Bratislava transit community recently, someone who absolutely loathes this bus and everything it stands for, who indicated that they ("we") might end up stripping the bus before they begin restoration work on another bus - not to salvage parts, or anything, but just to lessen its chances of being restored even more. I have no way of verifying if this person was screwing with me, or if they really are going to end up doing this, or if that is even their decision to make. I don't know the ins-and-outs of how preservation works in Bratislava, maybe they have volunteers to restore buses, I don't know.

For all the shit that I give Toronto transit and the community, the one thing I'm glad about is that there's no danger of some deranged foamer being able to tear a CLRV to shreds because they have some kind of personal vendetta against the vehicle. The thought of these idiots being able to interfere in preservation decisions makes me sick.

Its beyond me how and why transitfans can become such toxic beings. Like I'm genuinely curious if its something that triggers this behaviour as a child or if its something else. Its insane the way some of them behave. You don't see this level of stupidity in relevant fields, like aviation. I feel like people are more sane.

Over here its idiots with high vis jackets bolting across streets and terminals trying to get a photo, or in your case, tearing strips off of public property. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If I was a politician (or a mayor for a city, or) for a government, then I would impose a special "surcharge" for all concerts/festivals that take place in the city.

It would require the cost be embedded on the ticket/pass or paid upon arrival at the venue (think of it as paying the Airport Improvement Fee or a Departure Tax being leived at airports). That special surcharge would then support all entertainment development and oppotunities for the city. Only problem is - not all people aren't willing to pay extra for a concert/festival they wanted to attend.

This reminds me about the "Tourism Improvement Fee" being leivied in the city of Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Many tourists complained it's another "nonsensical" tax!

On 2/8/2020 at 10:48 PM, Wayside Observer said:

The leather case is classic, for sure, but the one I truly love is the roll top desk case that my Simpson 260 is in.

116D123A-82B9-4BCA-93E9-5D5893AA7AE8.thumb.jpeg.81c776f161c6ff0d5ba5817353a18b82.jpeg

It’s something you have to see and use first hand to truly get how cute this garage door or roll top desk case is when you open and close it.

Mine is a 270 series 2. Great meter, I use it more than the digital one that I have.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

You don't see this level of stupidity in relevant fields, like aviation. I feel like people are more sane.

In all fairness, some people were stupid enough to fly drones near airports, or shine laser pointers directly in pilots' eyes, both of which are a serious safety hazard.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

The Leafs are such a frustrating team to support. 

Said every leafs fan for the past 50 years. 🤣

On 2/15/2020 at 1:48 PM, PCC Guy said:

Speaking of foamers, I had a really unpleasant interaction with one from Bratislava that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

There is a trolleybus in storage at one of their tram yards that is officially indicated as a historic vehicle, but in reality may be too far gone to save (a decision has not yet been made, and scrapping has not yet commenced). This bus is wildly unpopular in the community; I became a pariah when I defended the decision to designate it historic (on a value basis, not a condition basis - I accept not everything can be saved, but we also should not be letting purist manchildren dictate what should and shouldn't be kept). I was in contact with someone from the Bratislava transit community recently, someone who absolutely loathes this bus and everything it stands for, who indicated that they ("we") might end up stripping the bus before they begin restoration work on another bus - not to salvage parts, or anything, but just to lessen its chances of being restored even more. I have no way of verifying if this person was screwing with me, or if they really are going to end up doing this, or if that is even their decision to make. I don't know the ins-and-outs of how preservation works in Bratislava, maybe they have volunteers to restore buses, I don't know.

For all the shit that I give Toronto transit and the community, the one thing I'm glad about is that there's no danger of some deranged foamer being able to tear a CLRV to shreds because they have some kind of personal vendetta against the vehicle. The thought of these idiots being able to interfere in preservation decisions makes me sick.

So that's what the hobby has come to, huh.

We have to worry about the foam Taliban?

On 2/16/2020 at 3:35 PM, captaintrolley said:

Why do cell phone providers make it so difficult to get through to them?  Spent a few minutes on Rogers 'Live Chat', putting up with all kinds of BS scripted templates when the guy finally types back that my 'Pay As You Go' account is not supported by 'Live Chat' and he gave me a number to call. Spent a good 10 minutes on that pressing all kinds of numbers because none of their menu options dealt with my 'problem'. Finally got through to a real person. Took long enough. Anyhow, I did get my request for 'port protection' put in place. She said it would take 24-72 hours to activate the 'request'. One would think with all the talk in the media regarding phone number 'porting' that this request would be one of the menu options. Would sure save a lot of 'running around' on their menu options.

Welcome to the millennium. Where customer service comes to die. 😩

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

So that's what the hobby has come to, huh.

We have to worry about the foam Taliban?

I'll say! It's fine to have preferences for things you want to be saved, but the super aggressive, overbearing way in which these people go about communicating that information is something else.

The irony of it all is that, thanks to the abhorrent maintenance conditions in Bratislava, "we shouldn't save this because it's a disgusting, rotted out pile of garbage" is a sentence you can say about pretty much everything that doesn't run on rails, which makes the aggression and condescension even more annoying to deal with. It also makes preservation much more of a challenge. On several occasions our own vehicles have been too far gone to preserve, and we ended up having to buy second hand ones from other cities in the former Czechoslovakia to fill the gap in our historical collection.

Not my photo (sadly), but here is the bus I have been rooting for:

img00008.jpg

This bus was built in 2002 as a replacement for a previous bus, also numbered 6617, which got into a biiig accident in 2000 and was irreparably damaged. It's pretty much had no maintenance done to it since 2002, and it's been sitting outside since being sidelined in 2015. Fine, I'll accept that it's in terrible shape, though people also dislike it because it used some parts from the original 6617, therefore making it a "mix of parts pretending to be a trolleybus"!

But the liked bus in the community, no. 6607, can't be in that much better shape. For years, people have been saying that it, too, was a rotted pile of garbage. It was built in 1990, and the only significant round of maintenance it underwent was a mid-tier repair in 2005. In 2013, its frame actually broke and the bus was retired, before they banged it back together and ran it in service for another year. It went out of service in 2014, and it, too, has been sitting outside since then. If I said that it "should be scrapped, burned, buried, and then a nuke set off on the spot where the remains of the burned, scrapped bus were buried" about this thing (yes, someone once said that about 6617. I wish I was making this up), I would be torn to shreds (fine by me, I like this one too; I just don't understand the double standard. Why should your flaming pile of garbage be fixed, but mine shouldn't?)

img00004.jpg

• Like 5

Some of these people demanding vehicles to be preserved would be better off putting the money up themselves and/or the wrench work in fixing them and machining unavailable parts if necessary.

A transit systems job is to move people in exchange for money. The more fit, comfortable and up to date the vehicles are the more money it can earn. Historic vehicles are simply a treat and lose more money than what they could earn if what went into them went into a regular vehicle. I love old vehicles as much as the next fan and I can pick out more than a few vehicles I wish were preserved (Flyer D700, E700, D800 and even the Flyer D901 which I hated and loved at the same time). But let's be realistic here about what it takes to keep historic vehicles around. Fans should be VERY grateful.

• Like 1

I see what you're saying, but I disagree for a few reasons, most notably the fact that the average transit fan who wants to see something preserved isn't exactly in the correct financial space to be bankrolling a project like this. Something transit agencies should try (and I haven't seen a lot of this) is requesting donations. I'm sure a community coming together to donate a bit to a project would end up delivering more success than if a few fans tried to buy a bus, store it (where? x2 if we're talking a rail vehicle), repair it, repaint it, and insure it. HCRR seems to have done alright for themselves but I would assume they are the exception, not the rule. And if they're short on labour, they could (as somewhat mentioned before), canvas volunteers to help work on the buses (I believe TRAMS in Vancouver does this?), as long as a strict watch is kept to preventing the kybosh kids from letting their bias affect what does and doesn't see the light of day.

I obviously don't have any financial figures at hand here, but a place like the New York Transit Museum attracts a lot of visitors, to its premises, to its fan trips (which charge a pretty steep entrance fee - and rightfully so), not to mention how much publicity they generate for themselves every year with the holiday trains and the Yankee specials. I'd like to see how much money they bring in.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

...snip...

img00008.jpg

...snip...

One question out of curiosity, what is the spacing of the poles. The standard here was usually 24 inches. Cincinnati was an exception at 19 inches as they just used the existing trolley overhead. Easy, low-cost substitution.

31 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

One question out of curiosity, what is the spacing of the poles. The standard here was usually 24 inches. Cincinnati was an exception at 19 inches as they just used the existing trolley

overhead. Easy, low-cost substitution.

I'm not sure exactly. I have a drawing of one of these trolleys that I tried measuring, but it gave me the distance between poles as being just under 130 mm (5.11 in). Visually checking a photo of a trolleybus in Cincinnati, it doesn't seem like their poles are actually that much further apart than ours, so I'm not sure where the discrepancy came from. :unsure:

My chemistry teacher told me that I'm the first (and likely only) person in the history of his teaching career who he has taught not twice, not three times, but four times. He says that getting him five times is basically impossible so it doesn't look like anyone will beat my record any time soon. I previously had him for grade 9 academic science (my very first semester in high school), grade 11 university chemistry (two semesters ago), grade 12 university biology (last semester), and now grade 12 university chemistry (this semester).

This is also the third semester in a row I've had him and they were all also coincidentally second period except for grade 9 (I recall having him last period).

He has taught grade 9 academic science, grade 10 applied science, grade 11 university chemistry, grade 11 university biology, and the grade 12 university versions of chemistry and biology as far as I know, so I've had him for almost every possible class that he teaches except for grade 11 bio and grade 10 applied (obviously).

My teacher often gets repeat students (mostly twice) but almost never three or four times according to him. All of the other people in my small chemistry class have only had him for grade 9 so I have much more experience with him than everyone else.

I didn't think it was actually possible to have a teacher four times because it's so unheard of and because most teachers at my school only teach two or three different classes at most afaik and never deviate from them. I know of a handful of people who've had a teacher three times (including me with this same teacher at one point) but damn. For all I know, I could actually be the first person in the history of my school to have ever had a teacher four times.

8 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Does anyone still buy frozen juice cans?

I haven't bought them in a while. I bought them when the kids were little as the frozen juice cans were convenient and lighter to carry home from the store than the 2 liter cartons. Unless frozen juice has improved lately, I found many varieties contained an awful lot of sugar. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

My chemistry teacher told me that I'm the first (and likely only) person in the history of his teaching career who he has taught not twice, not three times, but four times. He says that getting him five times is basically impossible so it doesn't look like anyone will beat my record any time soon. I previously had him for grade 9 academic science (my very first semester in high school), grade 11 university chemistry (two semesters ago), grade 12 university biology (last semester), and now grade 12 university chemistry (this semester).

This is also the third semester in a row I've had him and they were all also coincidentally second period except for grade 9 (I recall having him last period).

He has taught grade 9 academic science, grade 10 applied science, grade 11 university chemistry, grade 11 university biology, and the grade 12 university versions of chemistry and biology as far as I know, so I've had him for almost every possible class that he teaches except for grade 11 bio and grade 10 applied (obviously).

My teacher often gets repeat students (mostly twice) but almost never three or four times according to him. All of the other people in my small chemistry class have only had him for grade 9 so I have much more experience with him than everyone else.

I didn't think it was actually possible to have a teacher four times because it's so unheard of and because most teachers at my school only teach two or three different classes at most afaik and never deviate from them. I know of a handful of people who've had a teacher three times (including me with this same teacher at one point) but damn. For all I know, I could actually be the first person in the history of my school to have ever had a teacher four times.

I had one for 5 courses — Grade 11 AP Physics, Grade 12 AP Physics, Grade 12 U Astronomy, Grade 12 AP Functions, and Grade 12 AP Calculus. 

Thankfully he was the best teacher in the region. Too bad he retired recently. 

6 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Getting feelings for a girl is the best and worst thing at the same time.

Can agree one hundred percent, especially when you spend a lot of time with them and you know they don’t like you back. Story of being a transit fan. 

12 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Can agree one hundred percent, especially when you spend a lot of time with them and you know they don’t like you back. Story of being a transit fan. 

Building a relationship is the main thing. There’s a lot of things that go into that, and personally speaking I wouldn’t bring transit into the conversation. You want to ask the person about them. Minimize talking about yourself. If they’re interested in you they’ll ask about you. If they’re not, they won’t. You can see where to go from there. 

Also not a bad idea to have other hobbies and interests that lie outside of transit. Greater chance of connecting with more people. Just my two cents.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

If they’re interested in you they’ll ask about you.

Then when they ask about what you like, hobbies etc., then they pick up on the fact that you hesitated and maybe showed a bit of discomfort in being asked... Even if you don't mention transit, it's impossible to hide that hesitation and discomfort when being asked that question. It just gets awkward from there. Even if you have other hobbies and sports, hiding your bus passion is very difficult to do. Hopefully your girl will find it fascinating and ask you to tell her more about it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Also not a bad idea to have other hobbies and interests that lie outside of transit. Greater chance of connecting with more people. Just my two cents.

While this is always a good idea, it's also about the way one presents their interests. You don't want to come across as being too intense about your interests, whatever they may happen to be, when meeting someone. That's something you may perhaps share later on down the road - but on a first date I would mention casually that I was into transport, not that I had several bookshelves of thick transit history volumes on my wall. This applies to all interests, really, and not just when meeting someone in a romantic context, either. 

A couple of other notes: there are women out there who are into transit, too. And even if they're not, most quality people would be open to hearing about their partner's or friend's interests to a certain extent. Of course, one must also be willing to reciprocate and hear about interests they themselves might not share, either.

• Like 8

Thanks all for the advice, unfortunately she already knows I like transit as well as aviation and still talks to me which is great. I’m going to take it slowly cause I have a tendency to mess things up

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Thanks all for the advice, unfortunately she already knows I like transit as well as aviation and still talks to me which is great. I’m going to take it slowly cause I have a tendency to mess things up

That's not unfortunate at all...if she's a real one she won't hold it against you. Slow is best, build that relationship but careful with the friendzone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure I necessarily agree about the friend zone warning, for two primary reasons:

A] at the end of the day, a relationship is a two way street. If one person doesn't want any part in it, that's that. You can't change anything about it. Always give it the old college try, but if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. If the person has retreated from you or indicates that they want no part in your life, one should always back off and respect that.

B ] If the person is serious, and not just saying it to soothe your feelings, having a friend instead of a romantic partner can still be a win. The older you get, the more difficult it becomes to come by quality friends. If you have to settle for a quality person as a friend instead of a partner, it is hardly the worst thing in the world.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

If you have to settle for a quality person as a friend instead of a partner, it is hardly the worst thing in the world.

Especially when the novelty wears off and the whirlwind of romance dies down a bit. One can be friends without romance, but you can't have romance without being friends.

• Like 7