The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

11 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I truly hate to say this but Canadians seem to be the worst, most miserly tightassed bunch of jerks.  I haven't had problems with stuff getting lifted by people in the UK or the United States and I've never been made to feel either totally unwelcome or taken for granted one way street you cough up and do the work, we have the fun type of deal anywhere except here.

It's hard for me to make an objective comparison, because I've never had my work stolen (touch wood) or been bitten in the Canadian transit community in the same way that I have been in the American and Slovak ones. Sure, I've found the odd dingbat in my travels, but as a whole I've found that Americans and Slovaks are far more aggressive and confrontational, as a collective, than here. And it's not over anything significant or worth caring about - the community in NYC reserves the exact same energy for the morons who surf on the back of trains, break into cabs, or change rollsigns without permission (which is shitty, but rare behaviour), that they do for someone who goes out of their way, out of their regular path to go take a picture of something that has happened (most notably it was when the subway was knocked out in the Rockaways, so the MTA brought a bunch of creaky old R32s out there to run the H train, and a bunch of people travelled out there to go take photos).

It's honestly kind of pathetic how deeply upset a bunch of grown men got over other grown men travelling around the city with a camera. Whatever happened to live and let live?

And then there was the time that I got ganged up on on a Slovak transit forum for mentioning that I preferred their old T3 cars over the new low floor trams that were coming online at the time. I've tried to limit my activity on that site ever since.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It's honestly kind of pathetic how deeply upset a bunch of grown men got over other grown men travelling around the city with a camera. Whatever happened to live and let live?

Beats me.  I honestly don't know.  However, adult men should have gainful employment, ie. jobs, and not need to freeload on the goodwill of others then extend the middle finger, but then expect and live it up when the red carpet gets rolled out when roles are reversed.  I had a discussion this morning where I set out what happened and stated a couple of restrictions on what I'm willing to do from now on.  Both people I was speaking with agreed that what I've decided is fair.  Unfortunately, this means I'm going to have to have two or three awkward in person conversations over the next few weeks that I really don't want to have so nobody ends up getting blindsided by the change in policy.  I've never turned down any requests for assistance with anything before but I'm long past fed up with being taken advantage of on the Toronto end of things that I've decided that it's become necessary to start saying no when anything up here's involved.

• Like 1

Every single one of us has fell victim to unauthorized use of at least one of our photos/videos that we put up on the Internet. Bottom line is that everything that goes on the Internet is visible to virtually the entire global population and is thereby subject to have anything happen to it. Unpleasant as it is, that's the reality we live in, and complaining and getting so emotional about it doesn't solve anything. Suck it up and deal with it, or don't put your content on the Internet if this is that big of a deal for you.

• Like 3

@Nick B is generally right from my perspective. At this point in time it generally rates a solid "fuck it" from me. HOWEVER.... there are exceptions. Such as when one of my photos (modifications to a transit centre in Winter to support artics) was used to put bus transportation in a negative light. That I pursued getting the image removed.  

Personally, for me, it could depend upon who much effort went into the work. If it was my own digital image... again, that rates a solid "meh". If it's a slide, negative what not that has more time or money invested... I'll be a bit more protective of mine, or others, copyrights as they apply to the given situation.

And Wayside Observer's problem is huge. That involved his own physical negatives. 

• Like 5

Thankfully for me, most of the photos that have been stolen from me have been really crappy school bus photos from a few years ago.  Thankfully all the times I've had stolen photos the thieves were surprisingly compliant to delete the photos when I asked them.  I have had 1 or 2 cases where someone decided that they wanted to digitally erase the watermark or cut  the watermark out of frame which offended me on a different level.  I wish this wasn't the reality, but in all honesty I'd rather deal with these pricks then keep all my photos private.  

Why the city of Toronto allows two of three southbound lanes on Yonge st north of the 401 to be closed on Friday afternoon rush hour is beyond me. 

Im sure there’s some ridiculous logical explanation but I just want to be that angry commuter for a bit because it took me 3 hours to get home. I kid you not, my bus sat on Yonge for an hour and change. I actually called 311 to complain; like that’s something I’ve never done in my life.Not happy. Regardless, there still are bigger fish to fry.

But I will say, I have discovered that traffic has come very close to mentally breaking me lol

Took a walk down some side streets in the hood today. Love some of the older homes. Many are disappearing fast in favor of infill housing, although some communities are trying to put a stop to infill in order to preserve the 'character' of the older neighborhoods. Came across this neat looking old house. Sort of reminiscent of an old barn-style home. I really like the closed in front porch and the upper storey.

Photo2701.jpg

• Like 5

On 10/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, PCC Guy said:

...snip... and then there was the time that I got ganged up on on a Slovak transit forum for mentioning that I preferred their old T3 cars over the new low floor trams  ...snip...

I prefer the T3 also. And I have never seen one except in photos.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, PCC Guy said:

It's hard for me to make an objective comparison, because I've never had my work stolen (touch wood) or been bitten in the Canadian transit community in the same way that I have been in the American and Slovak ones. Sure, I've found the odd dingbat in my travels, but as a whole I've found that Americans and Slovaks are far more aggressive and confrontational, as a collective, than here. And it's not over anything significant or worth caring about - the community in NYC reserves the exact same energy for the morons who surf on the back of trains, break into cabs, or change rollsigns without permission (which is shitty, but rare behaviour), that they do for someone who goes out of their way, out of their regular path to go take a picture of something that has happened (most notably it was when the subway was knocked out in the Rockaways, so the MTA brought a bunch of creaky old R32s out there to run the H train, and a bunch of people travelled out there to go take photos).

And then there was the time that I got ganged up on on a Slovak transit forum for mentioning that I preferred their old T3 cars over the new low floor trams that were coming online at the time. I've tried to limit my activity on that site ever since.

Personally, my experiences in the US are far different. I was just in Philadelphia and NYC. Took a lot of photos and videos and none of the drivers or station employees seemed to have any issues with me doing so. In fact, a lot of them (In Philadelphia and along the NEC in particular) were very appreciative of the hobby. That type of of hospitality was felt a lot less in Pittsburgh, but that was honestly to be expected. Here in Toronto, though, I've had some pretty horrible experiences. Just the other day, I was trying to take some perspective shots and films of Sheppard subway trains, and an operator called the cops on me. I wasn't trespassing or even using the footage for monetized videos, simply taking shots for my own enjoyment. The charter community is always fairly nice (had a great time on the CLRV farewell charter), but even then, people seem more uptight than those in the US or Japan. 

• Like 1

On October 14, 2019 at 9:03 PM, M. Parsons said:

And Wayside Observer's problem is huge. That involved his own physical negatives. 

Thanks for understanding.

It's been kind of hard to convey the points in my mind on this one.  It isn't just the pictures being stolen, or the lack of consideration in not offering to run off a set of enlargements for me as a thank-you when a whole bunch of 4x6 and 8x12's were being pumped out at whatever lab was doing the work, but the negatives themselves are a major issue.  They're the camera-original recording of the image and it's impossible to retake those pictures for a number of reasons, vehicles, some locations, the weather conditions can't be reproduced and unlike digital photography, it isn't possible to make a perfect lossless copy of a piece of film.  Everything else is second generation at best and possibly further removed from that.  The other problem is that to do anything like additional prints, enlargements, make slides, those camera-original pieces of film have to be handled and have to be run through different pieces of equipment, at a minimum removed from their sleeves, moved through a darkroom enlarger carrier as many times as frames being printed or through a printing machine, then be put back in their sleeves.  Increased handling places those original, irreplaceable pieces of film at risk of being irreversibly damaged.  Outside of pilfering the images themselves, the total lack of consideration about running a set of enlargements for me, nobody asked me if it was ok to take that chance with my negatives.

On October 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM, Streety McCarface said:

Personally, my experiences in the US are far different. I was just in Philadelphia and NYC. Took a lot of photos and videos and none of the drivers or station employees seemed to have any issues with me doing so. In fact, a lot of them (In Philadelphia and along the NEC in particular) were very appreciative of the hobby. That type of of hospitality was felt a lot less in Pittsburgh, but that was honestly to be expected. Here in Toronto, though, I've had some pretty horrible experiences. Just the other day, I was trying to take some perspective shots and films of Sheppard subway trains, and an operator called the cops on me. I wasn't trespassing or even using the footage for monetized videos, simply taking shots for my own enjoyment. The charter community is always fairly nice (had a great time on the CLRV farewell charter), but even then, people seem more uptight than those in the US or Japan. 

It isn't confined to transit fanning even if it seems to be one of the most extreme examples.  It's everything.  I had a long talk with one of my friends at work earlier today.  He's one of the other guys that got put on the road for site upgrades back in the summer and we were talking about how Ontario to this day has this nasty, miserly, stingy, horrible attitude problem in general, particularly in the Greater Toronto Area, where it's ok to crap all over people.  The "you can't do that" routine.  The "you can't have that" routine.  The whole "in crowd" vs. outsiders clique thing that rears its ugly head all the time.  The "We want your money.  We don't want you.  But we want your money." routine.  The "we're taking that away but you're not getting anything in exchange routine".  The "work harder not smarter" routine.  The "No fun.  Fun is not allowed.  Stop having fun" routine.  The puritanical frugalness and nastiness taken to an extreme here.  Frankly, I'm still shocked that Sunday shopping ever got legalized here.

He got back from southwestern Ontario a few days ago which is my usual stomping ground but I couldn't go this time, so we were comparing notes.  We were also comparing notes about our respective trips back in the summer and both of us are on the same page.  Neither of us like it.  Neither of us like coming back to Toronto.  It's a nasty, rough adjustment and if it weren't for having some insight into the corporate technology strategy has planned for the medium and long term future, we'd both bail out to wherever the next systems technologist jobs open up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

It isn't confined to transit fanning even if it seems to be one of the most extreme examples.  It's everything.  I had a long talk with one of my friends at work earlier today.  He's one of the other guys that got put on the road for site upgrades back in the summer and we were talking about how Ontario to this day has this nasty, miserly, stingy, horrible attitude problem in general, particularly in the Greater Toronto Area, where it's ok to crap all over people.  The "you can't do that" routine.  The "you can't have that" routine.  The whole "in crowd" vs. outsiders clique thing that rears its ugly head all the time.  The "We want your money.  We don't want you.  But we want your money." routine.  The "we're taking that away but you're not getting anything in exchange routine".  The "work harder not smarter" routine.  The "No fun.  Fun is not allowed.  Stop having fun" routine.  The puritanical frugalness and nastiness taken to an extreme here.  Frankly, I'm still shocked that Sunday shopping ever got legalized here.

Living in Ontario is like being married. 🤣

Jokes aside, I am almost positive that attitude comes from the British roots here.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:36 PM, Streety McCarface said:

Well, those are different parameters you're dealing with. I wasn't talking about employee reactions, I was talking about interacting with members of the community. I've not spent nearly enough time in the US to have ever had an employee reaction (save for one cleaner in New York who noted my camera and warned me to be wary of paranoid employees) but in terms of spending time on transit forums and such I've found the non-Canadian ones to be deeply hostile and unpleasant as a general rule.

• Like 1

Can a guidance counsellor actually force you to drop or switch a course despite you refusing? I had an incident just today.

I went to parent teacher interviews with my father today in the morning (night slots were full). My English teacher (counsellor was also there) wanted to meet us because I messed up an essay early on and one minor quiz. Everything else has been flawless. She also has concerns that I don't participate in class discussions (I have an IEP for anxiety accommodations for oral presentations). She mentioned that because I've been "struggling", she wants to put me in the college level grade 12 English course instead of keeping me in her university grade 12 course. I personally don't think that's enough evidence to switch me. It was a new style of essay that took getting used to as well. It was just one fucked up major assignment at the beginning. It's not like I kept struggling for two months straight. If I don't keep this class, I cannot go to university (all programs require university level grade 12 English to get in) unless I repeat it somehow which I'm not doing.

Right after, my counsellor took me and my father to her office. She brought up that she agrees with my teacher. She also seems to really be pushing this college course on me. She was really close to switching my English course out for the college version (and messing up my timetable) right then and there, but my father and I convinced her to let me stay with the condition (that she made) that she be updated by my teacher in a week from now. If she deems that I haven't "improved", then she'll switch me out. If I have improved, then I stay. 

What am I supposed to do to show her that I improved? I only have one presentation reflection assignment that I finished but that's pretty much it.

My dad and I didn't give her permission to switch and we plan not to at this point. We both expressed desire not to switch me due to it being way too late.

Feels like I'm on some kind of academic probation. My counsellor just likes power tripping apparently.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:34 AM, PCC Guy said:

Well, those are different parameters you're dealing with. I wasn't talking about employee reactions, I was talking about interacting with members of the community. I've not spent nearly enough time in the US to have ever had an employee reaction (save for one cleaner in New York who noted my camera and warned me to be wary of paranoid employees) but in terms of spending time on transit forums and such I've found the non-Canadian ones to be deeply hostile and unpleasant as a general rule.

Interestingly enough, members of the community were into it as well, especially in Philly and the greater Philly area. For instance, I was fanning the Harrisburg line and one of the commuters at the station struck up a nice conversation with me about what I was doing and what his trip was about. I also had a similar experience with a woman who noticed me filming some silver liner IVs, struck up a conversation, laughed at the drunk people's jokes on the train to Lansdale. You would never see that attitude or level of friendliness here in Canada. 

That being said, people here are generally a bit more polite and will (usually) respect your space. Don't get me wrong, I love living here, but there are aspects of living here that are a little depressing. 

On October 24, 2019 at 8:34 AM, PCC Guy said:

but in terms of spending time on transit forums and such I've found the non-Canadian ones to be deeply hostile and unpleasant as a general rule.

On October 25, 2019 at 2:21 PM, Streety McCarface said:

Interestingly enough, members of the community were into it as well, especially in Philly and the greater Philly area. For instance, I was fanning the Harrisburg line and one of the commuters at the station struck up a nice conversation with me about what I was doing and what his trip was about. I also had a similar experience with a woman who noticed me filming some silver liner IVs, struck up a conversation, laughed at the drunk people's jokes on the train to Lansdale. You would never see that attitude or level of friendliness here in Canada. 

That being said, people here are generally a bit more polite and will (usually) respect your space. Don't get me wrong, I love living here, but there are aspects of living here that are a little depressing. 

I don't know why there's such a strong split, why there's this huge divergence from how people on various forums behave versus in person although the relative anonymity of the internet has to be a strong factor.  For example, anybody would be forgiven for having a horrible impression of New York City based on SubTalk or more recently SubChat.  In person, most people are reasonable.

What absolutely gets me is how uptight and closed minded people are here.  That's truly depressing.  I've had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with a couple local foamer organizations over the last few months.  I haven't been around one in about 17-18 years, 10 years for the other, and I think about the same about 10 years for the third based on people overlapping between the two.  None have changed in at least 20+ years.  It was disheartening and depressing to say the least hearing the same pile of nonsense being repeated a few weeks ago decades on from the first time I heard it.  The only difference is now that time's passed, I can say that this garbage isn't something that sounded suspicious and didn't sit right or have a factual basis back then and still being repeated now but heard with the benefit of several additional decades of age and experience elsewhere is a total load of bullshit.  The fact that there's all kinds of crap that has a life of its own and continues as if it's immortal is dismaying.  I haven't had this experience elsewhere except for one or two relatively isolated incidents that stuck out because they stemmed from one of two individual people that have been causing a lot of trouble in one place.  The notable difference is we're talking about two people, not a majority, so it's still an outlier, relatively speaking.

No thanks.  I've got my own life to live and I have zero interest in dealing with any of the fossilized geezers that seem to always call the shots at the local foamer groups.  It isn't worth talking to them.  It isn't worth arguing with them.  You're just a walking bank machine.  You're wallet's empty for one reason or another?  Well, that's a huge problem because you have one function here: cough up the financing that keeps the foamer activities going for the creaky old farts meanwhile one of the morbidly obese jackasses waddles over and gives you a lecture about why you can't blah blah blah and you shouldn't be here and you got cash in your wallet because you should be chipping in more, and by the way in case it needs to be highlighted again for emphasis, you can't do that.  And the you can't do that routine being arbitrarily delivered by some jerk that seems to be so common in life here brings me to:

On October 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Can a guidance counsellor actually force you to drop or switch a course despite you refusing? I had an incident just today.

I went to parent teacher interviews with my father today in the morning (night slots were full). My English teacher (counsellor was also there) wanted to meet us because I messed up an essay early on and one minor quiz. Everything else has been flawless. She also has concerns that I don't participate in class discussions (I have an IEP for anxiety accommodations for oral presentations). She mentioned that because I've been "struggling", she wants to put me in the college level grade 12 English course instead of keeping me in her university grade 12 course. I personally don't think that's enough evidence to switch me. It was a new style of essay that took getting used to as well. It was just one fucked up major assignment at the beginning. It's not like I kept struggling for two months straight. If I don't keep this class, I cannot go to university (all programs require university level grade 12 English to get in) unless I repeat it somehow which I'm not doing.

Right after, my counsellor took me and my father to her office. She brought up that she agrees with my teacher. She also seems to really be pushing this college course on me. She was really close to switching my English course out for the college version (and messing up my timetable) right then and there, but my father and I convinced her to let me stay with the condition (that she made) that she be updated by my teacher in a week from now. If she deems that I haven't "improved", then she'll switch me out. If I have improved, then I stay. 

What am I supposed to do to show her that I improved? I only have one presentation reflection assignment that I finished but that's pretty much it.

My dad and I didn't give her permission to switch and we plan not to at this point. We both expressed desire not to switch me due to it being way too late.

Feels like I'm on some kind of academic probation. My counsellor just likes power tripping apparently.

Everything I know about high school and university admissions is totally out of date so I'll stick to generalities here.  The school can't arbitrarily switch you into a different course without a parent or guardian giving consent if you're under 18.  Over 18, they have to ask you.   Until that happens, you're not getting dropped down a level in 12 English.  If you have an IEP regarding oral presentations, any weakness there's identified and accounted for so that shouldn't be a big deal, which leaves the one assignment.  Depending on how bad the grade on it was and how much its weight in your final course grade, it may or may not pull down your average and lower your final grade too much.  You might be in a position where you have to knock the rest of the course out of the park to get a decent grade.  But if it's just one assignment and everything else is fine or attributable to the IEP for the one specific case of oral presentations, it may be worth asking the English teacher to take a walk down the hall to the science department and ask one of the competent science teachers, if there are any, about the validity of drawing extreme conclusions based on one single statistical outlier.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Everything I know about high school and university admissions is totally out of date so I'll stick to generalities here.  The school can't arbitrarily switch you into a different course without a parent or guardian giving consent if you're under 18.  Over 18, they have to ask you.   Until that happens, you're not getting dropped down a level in 12 English.  If you have an IEP regarding oral presentations, any weakness there's identified and accounted for so that shouldn't be a big deal, which leaves the one assignment.  Depending on how bad the grade on it was and how much its weight in your final course grade, it may or may not pull down your average and lower your final grade too much.  You might be in a position where you have to knock the rest of the course out of the park to get a decent grade.  But if it's just one assignment and everything else is fine or attributable to the IEP for the one specific case of oral presentations, it may be worth asking the English teacher to take a walk down the hall to the science department and ask one of the competent science teachers, if there are any, about the validity of drawing extreme conclusions based on one single statistical outlier.

I also forgot to mention that I fucked up my essay mostly because of not enough time. I have a slow processing speed (I have an IEP that mentions extended deadlines) and I tried to email my teacher for an extension (while also explaining my situation) the day before it was to be handed in as I felt uncomfortable handing it in only half done.

Long story short, she replied that she only grants extensions if asked for at least 24 hours in advance and will not make an exception for me. She said she wanted the essay in by the next day or the day after at the latest possible. I was forced to rush my essay and I didn't fail the assignment, but it's still a poor grade.

She's a new teacher if it matters. She's only taught this course a few times in summer school but never in an actual day school setting.

We have a term paper coming up in November that we have six weeks to work on, so I can redeem myself on that if I get to stay in the class by then.

My teacher doesn't offer redoes for any assignment and makes them harder than the original if she does offer them so I really have no other way of proving to my counsellor and my teacher that I have in fact "improved". The fact that my counsellor only gave me a week is concerning because there's no assignments coming up before the end of next week so I'm screwed unless I escalate this situation.

My counsellor in particular also wants to put me in a grade 11 writing/learning strategies course during my spare period when it's evident to my teacher (she mentioned it) that I already meet (and often exceed at times) the writing expectations in grade 12 English. Every English teacher I've had has also mentioned to me at one point that my writing skills were solid. I'm not sure why I need that grade 11 course. My dad and I have made sure that we're not giving permission for it as it would be a waste of my time.

34 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I also forgot to mention that I fucked up my essay mostly because of not enough time. I have a slow processing speed (I have an IEP that mentions extended deadlines) and I tried to email my teacher for an extension (while also explaining my situation) the day before it was to be handed in as I felt uncomfortable handing it in only half done.

Long story short, she replied that she only grants extensions if asked for at least 24 hours in advance and will not make an exception for me. She said she wanted the essay in by the next day or the day after at the latest possible. I was forced to rush my essay and I didn't fail the assignment, but it's still a poor grade.

Aha, here is where it begins to get interesting.  You have an IEP that grants extra time.  Those are pretty common so new or not, the teacher should know to respect that and she should've been given copies of all the IEPs and student accommodation requirements before the semester began.  You emailed to request the extension before the assignment was due, not after, so it's not like you asked for it retroactively.  Is the 24 hour policy regarding extensions her personal policy?  The school's?  Or the board's?  Regardless, it shouldn't matter because the IEP specifying extra time is basically a blanket extension request that went in before your semester started so for her to decline your extension violates your IEP which I believe, and it's been a hell of a long time since I checked into this, may also place her in violation of the Education Act.

34 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

She's a new teacher if it matters. She's only taught this course a few times in summer school but never in an actual day school setting.

We have a term paper coming up in November that we have six weeks to work on, so I can redeem myself on that if I get to stay in the class by then.

My teacher doesn't offer redoes for any assignment and makes them harder than the original if she does offer them so I really have no other way of proving to my counsellor and my teacher that I have in fact "improved". The fact that my counsellor only gave me a week is concerning because there's no assignments coming up before the end of next week so I'm screwed unless I escalate this situation.

My counsellor in particular also wants to put me in a grade 11 writing/learning strategies course during my spare period when it's evident to my teacher (she mentioned it) that I already meet (and often exceed at times) the writing expectations in grade 12 English. Every English teacher I've had has also mentioned to me at one point that my writing skills were solid. I'm not sure why I need that grade 11 course. My dad and I have made sure that we're not giving permission for it as it would be a waste of my time.

It sounds like someone there has already decided that you're not going to university.  One week to improve but no opportunity to demonstrate that within that arbitrary timeline?  They're stacking the deck and making sure you get dealt out.  It does sound like you're going to have to escalate the situation.  I don't generally advocate pushing the nuclear button, I'm personally reluctant to push the nuclear button, but sometimes, sometimes when you're backed into a corner and being reasonable, asking nicely, presenting facts, you name it, nothing works and you're getting obliterated, sometimes you have to push the button and when you're in a situation where you have to push the button, you have to push the button.

35 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Aha, here is where it begins to get interesting.  You have an IEP that grants extra time.  Those are pretty common so new or not, the teacher should know to respect that and she should've been given copies of all the IEPs and student accommodation requirements before the semester began.  You emailed to request the extension before the assignment was due, not after, so it's not like you asked for it retroactively.  Is the 24 hour policy regarding extensions her personal policy?  The school's?  Or the board's?  Regardless, it shouldn't matter because the IEP specifying extra time is basically a blanket extension request that went in before your semester started so for her to decline your extension violates your IEP which I believe, and it's been a hell of a long time since I checked into this, may also place her in violation of the Education Act.

It sounds like someone there has already decided that you're not going to university.  One week to improve but no opportunity to demonstrate that within that arbitrary timeline?  They're stacking the deck and making sure you get dealt out.  It does sound like you're going to have to escalate the situation.  I don't generally advocate pushing the nuclear button, I'm personally reluctant to push the nuclear button, but sometimes, sometimes when you're backed into a corner and being reasonable, asking nicely, presenting facts, you name it, nothing works and you're getting obliterated, sometimes you have to push the button and when you're in a situation where you have to push the button, you have to push the button.

The 24 hour policy is my teacher's personal policy. The school has no official policy regarding that. In fact, it's the first time I've seen a teacher with that policy. She gives extensions to everyone (even with no IEP) but only if they follow the policy. Considering I have an IEP, I should have been entitled to it no matter what.

I WILL BE taking this further. I have one teacher I'm really comfortable with and go see for lunch sometimes, so I will get her to advocate for me seeing as me on my own will not be enough. She is involved in the special education and ESL department but I had her as my grade 9 English teacher, so she knows what I'm truly capable of. She actually asked me if I wanted her to attend the meeting with me and my dad, but I stupidly said no as I thought it was just a regular parent teacher meeting and I did not think my counsellor would be there. In retrospect, I should have asked her to come as I think she would have done something. She says that if I ever have an issue with self-advocating, I could go to her and she would escalate it on my behalf.

I have emailed her about my situation and I plan on going to see her tomorrow first thing in the morning if possible as this is urgent. If I can't find her, then I'm going in at lunch.

We were pleading with my counsellor to give us at least two weeks, but she doesn't want to because it would be basically midterm by then. But if she's even considering switching me this late, why does it matter? One week gives me no chance to improve. Originally she wasn't going to give me a week at all and was going to switch me out right then and there, but that's the compromise we had to take to prevent that from happening. She reluctantly decided to give me a week.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:42 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Update:

My father emailed my counsellor the other day and asked her NOT to switch me into college level English. She apparently called back this morning (don't know why she did that instead of emailing) and said that there's a very high chance that I won't pass based on my time in the course so far. She's obviously trying very hard to convince my dad to switch me considering she was at the parent-teacher meeting with my English teacher.

We basically told her (politely of course) that we were not changing our decision and that was the end of it. A week was obviously not enough time to prove some understanding in my class.

I got a 75 in grade 11 university English as well so I should be prepared to do well in grade 12 English.