buswizard

The Random Thoughts Thread

16 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Is it rude (and considered bad manners) to hang up on a telemarketer (or a survey company) thesedays?

That's the age old question I'm asking. I remembered the time that someone claiming to be from "The Globe and Mail" newspaper asked me to do a survey many years ago.

I immediately hang up on them just because they wanted to offer me a subscription. I felt so guilty and violated when I hang up on them! The only concern is - will they ever call the police on me - just because I simply hang up on them?

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

If it's "Air Duct Cleaning" or "Canada Revenue Agency" calling, you get bonus points for having fun with them instead of hanging up with them.

I've been getting a lot of duct cleaning calls and a prerecorded message that has an Asian lady speaking on top of a bed of soft music and I have utterly no idea what on earth it's about. Unfortunately the Canada Revenue Agency hasn't called me. I would love to have some fun with the unfortunate sod that calls my number with that load of BS.

Is duct cleaning the new dot com bubble? I see a lot of that on FB.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Not just that, but don't forget those fake CRA/IRS scams too!

Whenever someone tries to scam me whether by phone or by email, I always pretend to be an undercover RCMP detective. Get all the info you can and pretend like you're about to/have already sent money. That way they will give you their personal info. Then hit them with the: "This is xxx xxx of the RCMP, you are being investigated case # 123456789" etc. Works everytime and you got their real info just in case you wanna call the REAL RCMP. 😂

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Whenever someone tries to scam me whether by phone or by email, I always pretend to be an undercover RCMP detective. Get all the info you can and pretend like you're about to/have already sent money. That way they will give you their personal info. Then hit them with the: "This is xxx xxx of the RCMP, you are being investigated case # 123456789" etc. Works everytime and you got their real info just in case you wanna call the REAL RCMP. 😂

That's some laughter to hear!

On a serious note, I wanted to give some takeaways - when it comes to dealing with "private" or "unknown" callers.

There are some situations in which the numbers might be displayed for that reason - it could be the hospital who's trying to tell you that your loved one is in the ER (Emergency Room) or a social worker who wants to speak to you or to your family member, your best answer is this: be cognizant.

It's anyone's guess on whose trying to circumvent the caller ID - it could be a scammer for illegitimate purposes or someone legal to protect them from further "spamming".

It would have been nice if private numbers are traced but I will not pay the fee each time someone from an unknown or private number (even a spoofed number) who tries to call my line.

• Like 1

There is rumor going around at my school that we will be walking out of class to protest "the Ford Government cuts to education", or something similar to that.

I think the cuts are bad. Our school system is already bad enough. I don't even know how to say anything in French. But just going outside and protesting is not really solving any problems. It's not like the government will listen to what a whole bunch of pre teens and teenagers are saying.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

There is rumor going around at my school that we will be walking out of class to protest "the Ford Government cuts to education", or something similar to that.

I think the cuts are bad. Our school system is already bad enough. I don't even know how to say anything in French. But just going outside and protesting is not really solving any problems. It's not like the government will listen to what a whole bunch of pre teens and teenagers are saying.

We did the same thing during the Harris days. Agreed. But at least we got 30 mins of fresh air. lol

• Like 4

Never say no or question any excuse to get out of school for any period of time ;)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

We did the same thing during the Harris days. Agreed. But at least we got 30 mins of fresh air. lol

10 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Never say no or question any excuse to get out of school for any period of time ;)

I guess your right. Get to miss geography, french, music, and possibly science, and I get to have the best periods math and gym.

Anything to miss school.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

the best periods math

It's like you're speaking a foreign language to me right now :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Honestly, the 1990s were almost a lost decade in Ontario.  The first half was bad because of that brutal recession when the economy crashed after the 1980s ended and the second half was a horror show with Harris and his merry band of cronies trashing everything they could get their hands on.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Honestly, the 1990s were almost a lost decade in Ontario.  The first half was bad because of that brutal recession when the economy crashed after the 1980s ended and the second half was a horror show with Harris and his merry band of cronies trashing everything they could get their hands on.

Yup. And to add salt into the wounds, my school was the one packaging the Commemorative Scarborough coins for the megacity. 

50 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

It's like you're speaking a foreign language to me right now :lol:

Math is okay. I absolutely hate geometry. I don't get it.

What's even better is that I am missing a whole week of school next week.

Can this week get any better?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Yup. And to add salt into the wounds, my school was the one packaging the Commemorative Scarborough coins for the megacity. 

I don't know, this might be a bit of an unpopular thought but I think there's some merit to the logic:  As bad as Doug Ford and company have been and are, and I'm absolutely not diminishing it in any way, their government seems to have been running at a relaxed pace compared to Harris where stuff was being rammed through at a ferocious pace.  Things were being cut, dismantled, discontinued, changed for the worse, on a daily basis and you couldn't keep up with it which I think was part of the strategy.  The outright callousness of that administration is something that hasn't been matched yet either.  I really hope the Harris years aren't where they've set the bar that they aspire to because it was grim.  At the same time, up in Ottawa, Chretien & Martin and Co. were balancing the budget and running surpluses, sometimes huge surpluses, but that came at the cost of devastatingly steep cuts across the board too at the same time Harris was taking his run at Ontario.  All this as things were slowly turning around from that brutal recession in the early 1990s.   It's inconceivable to many people today but downtown Toronto was a ghost town after 4 PM on weekdays and totally deserted on weekends.

11 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Math is okay. I absolutely hate geometry. I don't get it.

I always found the opposite.  Geometry was easy and fun but the majority of the people didn't like it either.  Is no programming or graphing calculators still a rule?  If only those 'Toronto Board of Education has a policy' math teachers who thought four function whiz bangs were a technological crutch could see some of the bigass multiprocessor workstations running MATLAB that I've used after high school make any handheld calculator look like a toy, they'd have a frigging coronary.  That said, for banging out quick math, a Hewlett Packard RPN scientific calculator's still my weapon of choice and some of the IPhone RPN calculator apps coming in second to that.  Oh, those HPs were programmable?  Whooops.  Womp womp.  Sorry teachers...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I don't know, this might be a bit of an unpopular thought but I think there's some merit to the logic:  As bad as Doug Ford and company have been and are, and I'm absolutely not diminishing it in any way, their government seems to have been running at a relaxed pace compared to Harris where stuff was being rammed through at a ferocious pace.  Things were being cut, dismantled, discontinued, changed for the worse, on a daily basis and you couldn't keep up with it which I think was part of the strategy.  The outright callousness of that administration is something that hasn't been matched yet either.  I really hope the Harris years aren't where they've set the bar that they aspire to because it was grim.  At the same time, up in Ottawa, Chretien & Martin and Co. were balancing the budget and running surpluses, sometimes huge surpluses, but that came at the cost of devastatingly steep cuts across the board too at the same time Harris was taking his run at Ontario.  All this as things were slowly turning around from that brutal recession in the early 1990s.   It's inconceivable to many people today but downtown Toronto was a ghost town after 4 PM on weekdays and totally deserted on weekends.

I always found the opposite.  Geometry was easy and fun but the majority of the people didn't like it either.  Is no programming or graphing calculators still a rule?  If only those 'Toronto Board of Education has a policy' math teachers who thought four function whiz bangs were a technological crutch could see some of the bigass multiprocessor workstations running MATLAB that I've used after high school make any handheld calculator look like a toy, they'd have a frigging coronary.  That said, for banging out quick math, a Hewlett Packard RPN scientific calculator's still my weapon of choice and some of the IPhone RPN calculator apps coming in second to that.  Oh, those HPs were programmable?  Whooops.  Womp womp.  Sorry teachers...

Agreed. Harris was definitely worse and we still haven't recovered. Do you remember that ad for the 80th anniversary with a picture of harris in a hard hat with the caption of "Harris groundbreaking the Sheppard subway in 1994"? How soon people forgot about the Eglinton West line that was axed.

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

Agreed. Harris was definitely worse and we still haven't recovered. Do you remember that ad for the 80th anniversary with a picture of harris in a hard hat with the caption of "Harris groundbreaking the Sheppard subway in 1994"? How soon people forgot about the Eglinton West line that was axed.

I remember construction starting and then the small section at Eg. West getting filled in.  I was surprised they had a picture of him in the 80th anniversary display at all considering that and all the other stuff he did during his tenure that proved he was no friend of the TTC.  Things like that, the cuts to education, the cuts to medicine and things like Walkerton, the welfare recipient who got in trouble and died, the Ipperwash fiasco, the recommendation that people buy dented tins of tuna, you name it.  Changing the damn slogan on the license plates is the least of what Ford's done so far, and certainly a hell of a lot less than the stuff that happened on Harris' watch.

The Eglinton subway stub getting filled in has been back of mind a since Ford got elected because I was sure he was going to kibosh the non-Toronto LRT projects right out of the gate or pretty shortly after getting elected.  The old "we didn't realize the books were this bad until we got into office so we're going to break a lot of campaign promises and deliver a lot of previously undiscussed ideology right off the bat" routine that politicians have been using forever would've provided the cover to do it, but Metrolinx just got cleared to resume buying land for the Hamilton line and just bought a huge parcel for the carhouse pretty much right after the suspension was lifted and the Mississauga line's been tweaked but is still going.  I don't think we're out of the woods yet on cancellations, but things are not as dire as I thought they would be based on the last go round with a provincial conservative government.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Anything to miss school.

Just wait until you guys are older and it turns into "anything to miss work".

• Haha 3

On 4/2/2019 at 10:14 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

We ended up doing the walkout. We walked up to Vaughn road for a while then to St Clair and back to our school.

It was quite boring actually, but at least we got out of school for a while.

Other than missing class, I saw no point in doing it. Not like the government will listen to us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I printed a Doug Ford banner and smashed my Ford pickup into it. Just saying...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, 7575 said:

I printed a Doug Ford banner and smashed my Ford pickup into it. Just saying...

Can a Ford pickup pick up Ford?;)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

Can a Ford pickup pickup Ford?;)

I'm not sure, ask my truck.

• Haha 1

I passed by Doug Ford in an alleyway late last spring before the election.

One of the guys I work with and I took an extra long lunch break and walked down to the St. Lawrence Market for bacon sandwiches.  We shook things up a bit and took a different route back to work and one of the sidewalks was barricaded because of construction and we cut through a parking garage figuring the rear exited onto the next street over except it exited into an alleyway.  We kept going and coming towards us and eventually passing by was Doug Ford with protective detail.  No wonder he wanted the tricked out RV with the reclining leather couch and the DVD player.  It'd beat skulking around the alleyways of downtown Toronto.

• Haha 5

On 4/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, Downsview 108 said:

I remembered the time back in 1997 - there was a strike by the elementary and catholic teachers in Ontario (if I'm not mistaken).

I got confused whether or not if I still have school or not back then (despite the labour action that didn't directly affect the region where I reside) - but I made good advantage on staying home all day back then. 

Still with strikes, I remembered when the Durham Region Transit system in Durham Region, Ontario, Canada went on strike back in 2006, I struggled to find a way on how to get to my college and getting home from it (at that time, I was a first year freshman)! Although I was able to use my U-PASS on the GO buses within Durham Region at the time for the duration of the strike, it somehow inconvenienced me (at one time, I woke up around 4a.m on a Monday - just to get to my first class on a Monday morning at 8a.m.!).

• Like 1