buswizard

The Random Thoughts Thread

On 7/2/2018 at 4:05 PM, PCC Guy said:

Already? This year feels like it's been going on forever.

It's been full of personal growth, though, so I feel like that's a good thing. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll have changed so much that you wouldn't recognize me if you last talked to me in December.

Looking back, this latter half of 2018 really flew by, especially from September on. 

I can't believe we're almost in 2019 already. It's really shocking to think that a year could go by that quickly.

This upcoming new year will be the last of the 2010s. The next one will mark an end of an era as well as a new decade.

Hell, I even look back at New Year's 2014 and think has it already been half a decade?

Indeed, the year went by pretty fast, and so did the previous years. Sometimes 2014 feels like yesterday, and you think "can't believe it's been 4 years already". On the other hand so much has happened since then that it does seem like a long time ago. I just really hope the 2020's will go by fast (at least the early 2020's).

5 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I just really hope the 2020's will go by fast (at least the early 2020's).

NO, NO, NO. I want to have as much time with my grandchildren while they are still so young and innocent. They are precisely at the age where you don't want them to grow up too fast. The endless energy, smiles and laughter are going to give way to teenage attitudes soon enough. Never, ever wish the time away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Agreed! Who wants to grow old in the blink of an eye? 

I'm old now.. And at that, it happened all too quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Youth is wasted on the young.

Youth is only wasted on the young that are ignorant and can't appreciate that they have their whole life in front of them. When I watch my grandchildren, I feel they are enjoying their youth and totally not wasting it.  Some people can waste their whole life, not just their youth ..

I'm old now.. And at that, it happened all too quickly

The 18 years I've lived in Canada feel like an eternity whenever I look back. You might think it's stupid, but I'm just looking forward to the T1 retirement, that's why I said I can't wait for the future - as of now it's expected to happen 2026 - 2031, and one can only hope it doesn't get delayed, as most things in toronto usually are. Maybe because I was young that those years seemed like an eternity, and as I get older they'll seem to go faster and faster.

The endless energy, smiles and laughter are going to give way to teenage attitudes soon enough. Never, ever wish the time away.

So you don't want them to grow out of their childhood phase, yet you're perfectly okay with wishing away the time of their adolescence. Okay then.

This is what I don't like about society. I'd happily give up the rest of my (adult) life to stay an 18-year old adolescent for life. Unlike most, I think adolescence is the best time of life (more exciting than both childhood and adulthood) and I'm not particularly excited that I still have like 50-60 years left to go of being an adult and getting older (assuming hopefully nothing bad ever happens that would make me die early - sometimes both possibilities seem equally terrifying).

1 hour ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

as I get older they'll seem to go faster and faster.

Time is flying by at an alarming rate for me right now. When you are young it seems like forever between birthdays and Christmases. When I was young (preschool) I used to have fake birthday parties just because I couldn't wait for my real birthday.

• Like 1

I'd like things to improve too, but not at the cost of all the time going away. I'm only 21 but I'm absolutely terrified of growing old, I can't imagine wishing to get older even faster.

• Like 2

I'm certainly not wishing for myself or anyone else to get older, I just want to see some things change, and I certainly would much rather if things changed tomorrow, but unfortunately it just doesn't happen, and getting older is a package deal. And since I already feel "old", I might as well not care anymore. Sadly, a lot of the things I cherish in life would likely be long gone before I see any of the changes I want to see.<_<

In times like this, I'm reminded of this quote from J.R.R. Tolkien:

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

The world will either suck or not suck. Especially when it comes to political stuff, we average people only have a limited amount of sway on that front. Either we can let that fact overpower our lives, and hide ourselves from the world wishing it would be better, or carry on regardless and make use of the time we do have, hopefully managing to make things a little less terrible for those within our direct sphere of influence. Terrible things were still happening when all of us were growing up, you just didn't know about them. It's good to be aware of the world around you but you can't let that world take away your own life.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I'd like things to improve too, but not at the cost of all the time going away. I'm only 21 but I'm absolutely terrified of growing old, I can't imagine wishing to get older even faster.

Me too.  I saw what happened to my grandparents as they aged well into their 90s and it frightens me.  What happens if I outlive my savings or outlive my ability to take care of myself or both, and have nobody to take care of me?  That keeps me up at night sometimes.

• Like 2

Does anyone remember that old website called "natransit.com"?

When did it closed? and I think J. Boic has some of the photos from that old website.

Sometimes I sit and think about how little representation the Toronto subway gets compared to other well known metro systems from across the continent. I have, on my shelf, a very thick and heavy volume about all the subway cars used in New York's history. New York has a million cars for a variety of simulators. New York has a million historical subway cars.

All of these are things that are either marginal or not at all existant in Toronto. Lately I've been wrestling with the thought of taking some initiative and putting together a book on the Toronto subway fleets myself. I have no idea where I would even start with such a project, though, not to mention that eventually I hope to be living in Europe and any non-online materials from the city of Toronto archives won't be available to me at all. I haven't made any decision on this one way or the other, and even if I do it's a project that would probably take YEARS to actually realize, but man. What I wouldn't give for such a book to already exist!!

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Sometimes I sit and think about how little representation the Toronto subway gets compared to other well known metro systems from across the continent. I have, on my shelf, a very thick and heavy volume about all the subway cars used in New York's history. New York has a million cars for a variety of simulators. New York has a million historical subway cars.

All of these are things that are either marginal or not at all existant in Toronto. Lately I've been wrestling with the thought of taking some initiative and putting together a book on the Toronto subway fleets myself. I have no idea where I would even start with such a project, though, not to mention that eventually I hope to be living in Europe and any non-online materials from the city of Toronto archives won't be available to me at all. I haven't made any decision on this one way or the other, and even if I do it's a project that would probably take YEARS to actually realize, but man. What I wouldn't give for such a book to already exist!!

I think I have that book. Is it "Evolution of the New York City Subways"? I have a 1st edition. There were two really good and highly detailed TTC books from nearly 60 years ago called "Toronto Street Railways 1861-1921" and "The Toronto Trolley Car Story 1921-1960". I only have the second but it reads like a diary of every year from 1921 to 1960 with plenty of pictures, a roster and even a fold out track map.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 8:19 AM, PCC Guy said:

I'm absolutely terrified of growing old

The alternative is worse.

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Lately I've been wrestling with the thought of taking some initiative and putting together a book on the Toronto subway fleets myself.

At least you would not have to dredge back into the late 1800s!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Is it "Evolution of the New York City Subways"? I have a 1st edition.

Is it Gene Sansone? If so, that will be it. I have "New York City Subways" which according to the product description on Amazon is a new edition from 2004. It's a treasure trove of knowledge, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

"Toronto Street Railways 1861-1921" and "The Toronto Trolley Car Story 1921-1960". I only have the second but it reads like a diary of every year from 1921 to 1960 with plenty of pictures, a roster and even a fold out track map.

Something similar to 50 Years of Progressive Transit, then?

Personally I think I have enough volumes for now about the actual history of the transit system, it's something comprehensive about our subway rolling stock that I'd be interested in reading. Despite how little cars we ever had compared to New York, I'm still digging up random tidbits over the internet that I'd never heard of before, like apparently some of the H6s came with some kind of irregular paint scheme when they were delivered, not unlike H5s 5804-5807.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

The alternative is worse.

I'll give you that. Although if there was no aging period that would be undoubtedly the best.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

At least you would not have to dredge back into the late 1800s!

Fair enough haha

• Like 1

Yup, the Gene Sansone book. Must have read it cover to cover ten times. It's trashed.

The two books I mentioned were part of a special series called "Interurbans" that featured a different street railway in each book. I know of two TTC books which were the ones mentioned. They're pretty thick and has very fine, old school, Typewritten/typeset/stenciled text. It's more of an actual diary of random events with very specific details like route changes, in/out service dates, accidents, deliveries, etc. Then there's a detailed all-time route roster up to that date and an all-time vehicle roster with LOTS of photos of every class up to what they had in 1960. There's even two special sections with one about "Canada's First Subway" and the other about Trolley Coaches with a route and vehicle roster. Louis H Pursley is the author of the second (Toronto Trolley Car Story) book. I can't remember if he writes the first. It's got everything short of actual side profile diagrams like the NYC book. 

• Like 1

Why do so many services offer movie purchases AND rentals, but none of them will rent me some TV episodes?!?!? Is there no one out there who will let me try out a TV series before committing $20+ per season to it??? <_<

So room mate is trying to win an iPhone on some online contest and is filling out the skill testing questions and the applicant information. There is a line for 'cell phone number'.  ?!?!?!?  She does not have a cell phone, hence why she is trying to win one.  What kind of stupid contest is this ??? Even leaving the line blank will not work and it won't let her submit the form. Don't these contest organizers realize that people trying to win a phone probably don't have cell phone numbers b/c they don't have a cell phone to begin with.. ???

The weather never works in my favor...

When I have a flight lesson that's scheduled, it seems like nature doesn't want me to fly.  My last three flights were canceled due to weather. When it's sunny and pleasant, I'm either at school, work or at home doing nothing. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/23/2019 at 2:47 PM, Greatcoinz said:

The weather never works in my favor...

When I have a flight lesson that's scheduled, it seems like nature doesn't want me to fly.  My last three flights were canceled due to weather. When it's sunny and pleasant, I'm either at school, work or at home doing nothing. 

This could also be classified as an FML moment.