The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

Staying home today.  Feels strange. Normally I either go to the pool in the mornings, or visit mom in the nursing home. Obviously these activities have been curtailed due to COVID-19. So not having any routine or structure really feels strange. What feels even stranger is taking a shower and putting the PJ's back on...

Tomorrow I have to head out to buy a bus pass.  Gonna wear gloves and wrap a scarf around my face just for added protection. Also gonna use a pen to poke at the numbers on any PIN pads to minimize touching those surfaces.

Stay well and stay safe everyone. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

I'M BACK!!!!

But before I post again, Can someone please give me some advice on how to stop these suspensions.

I've been suspended 4 times by the admins and it's really getting on my nerves.

All my infractions don't apply to the guidelines.

A few of my recommendations, as you have asked for:

1. Delete your account. No issue of being banned further.

2. Don't post a reply. Can't get banned if you don't post.

3. Don't post pictures. You can't grasp copyright law so just stop. If you Eff up, I promise you I'll be the one flagging your posts.

4. Respect the admins. Your one set of comments that were posted to this board deserved an outright banning for ever. You didn't get that. You're lucky. Be humble and gracious that they haven't deleted you yet.

5. Accept responsbility for past actions. Stating that "all my infractions don't apply to the guidelines" is wrong on so many levels. You just basically said you believe you did nothing wrong and don't believe you deserved to be banned. That comment alone, I'd ban you again. You just basically said "fuck you, I did nothing wrong" to the admins. 

6. Why even create this post? Are you looking to draw attention to yourself? BE HUMBLE. 

7. Don't like what I said? Oh well. You literally asked for it. 

Thank you. 

serving_humble_pie.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

A few of my recommendations, as you have asked for:

1. Delete your account. No issue of being banned further.

2. Don't post a reply. Can't get banned if you don't post.

3. Don't post pictures. You can't grasp copyright law so just stop. If you Eff up, I promise you I'll be the one flagging your posts.

4. Respect the admins. Your one set of comments that were posted to this board deserved an outright banning for ever. You didn't get that. You're lucky. Be humble and gracious that they haven't deleted you yet.

5. Accept responsbility for past actions. Stating that "all my infractions don't apply to the guidelines" is wrong on so many levels. You just basically said you believe you did nothing wrong and don't believe you deserved to be banned. That comment alone, I'd ban you again. You just basically said "fuck you, I did nothing wrong" to the admins. 

6. Why even create this post? Are you looking to draw attention to yourself? BE HUMBLE. 

7. Don't like what I said? Oh well. You literally asked for it. 

Thank you. 

serving_humble_pie.jpg

All I really just wanted was some advice thats all! Sorry If I offended you.

The next infraction (if there is one) would be a four month suspension.

The one after that would be an eight month suspension.

And the one after that would be a year and a half suspension!

We keep giving you the benefit of another chance... Shall we continue?

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

The only place that could be considered save from COVID19 may be the International Space Station.

Unless a visitor comes with the virus and then well... boom... Covid would have effected literally the whole world. 

6 hours ago, 81-717 said:

Pretty sure spaceflight would be suspended as well.

Unless they were running low on supplies in the ISS, in which case the best course of action would probably be to quarantine the astronauts they had tapped for the mission and send them up if they haven't tested positive for COVID.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Unless they were running low on supplies in the ISS, in which case the best course of action would probably be to quarantine the astronauts they had tapped for the mission and send them up if they haven't tested positive for COVID.

I thought quarantine before and after was still standard procedure anyway?

8 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I thought quarantine before and after was still standard procedure anyway?

I knew they did quarantine after coming home, but I had no idea they did quarantine beforehand. It turns out you're right.

https://www.space.com/what-is-quarantine-like-for-astronauts-coronavirus.html

To the general question about the ISS, it seems that it's business as usual.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/03/20/maine-astronaut-launching-next-month-already-in-quarantine-in-kazakhstan/

• Like 1

I was telling my mom earlier this week about how, toilet paper and mask waste aside, the environmental effects of this must be great. Almost no international flights, reductions in domestic operations, severe reductions in traffic and public transport services etc. There’s always a good side to most things in my opinion.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up, long one...

Man. Being in isolation and browsing through the forums made me realise how freaking dull transit has become within the GOA, particularly OC Transpo in recent years. Yeah sure, we finally got a barely functioning LRT system but what's the jab? It was fun for 2 weeks when it first opened but now it's a "fun" game to see if it doesn't get stuck. Don't get me started on the buses and routes. The routes are just as shit as they were when they were cut in 2011 across the board for the most part, never mind the restructuring of the whole bus network to reflect the scrap on the tracks that occasionally likes to stall when it feels like it bringing the whole goddamn system to a halt! Schedules have been absolute trash for almost 5 years now because OC believes 3 minute recoveries are realistic, certainly if you were on meth time! The buses are the same old and same old and I'm worried that OC Transpo is going to become the STO and run nothing but Novas except for NFI DD's once it's time to scrap the D60's, It'd ruin all remaining taste they had. Firstly, thank god OC chose Diesel for their LFS, and it will last us what, 13 years? I mean look at the Orion's, they're falling apart! As much a love the orion's over the LFS, they're junk now! Now I don't blame them as to why they don't want to replace the battery. If you had a phone for 3 years and the battery was dying, would you replace it or buy something new and sell off the broken crap? Granted, ONE thing I'll give to the LFS is that it's replacing the stupid Inveros and Orion's without bike racks, which btw, units under 4417 used to have them and TTC's Orion VII's have racks as well, why don't ours? I use to always get trippers around 3:30 everyday in the PM on the 97 (57 today) that was a 40ft D40i, but I always had to gamble whether the POS had a rack or not which can be such wasted time. All in all, I feel like OC is hitting that point were they're pretty dull. There's not really many interesting things for enthanist to see or do. I'm sure there will be things coming up soon such as the final Orion and Invero being retired, not forgetting the Invero charter (which has probably been cancelled) but given OC's situation, man I think they'll keep and abuse these bastards until Stage 2 is stable and complete as public opinion would be sour if they even attempted to reduce overall buses in service.

I mean I can't be the only who thinks this, the decline in active CPTDB users in the GOA should be a sign. Sure, I and some GOA members were amateurs and lacked etiquette which probably drove some away from the CPTDB, but IDK, I needed to get this off my mind. Could just be I'm cranky because of the COVID outbreak and it's piss poor raining outside, but man I'm telling you, it sucks feeling the way I do towards a thing I love riding (since 2007!), using it, photographing, etc. Some times, i just wish I can turn back the dial in history and relive the fun times. It doesn't help too that the STO now exclusively only runs LFS, or as I like to call, Loud-F#ing Scrap! I miss their HF buses...

Have a good one everyone.

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Heads up, long one...

Man. Being in isolation and browsing through the forums made me realise how freaking dull transit has become within the GOA, particularly OC Transpo in recent years. Yeah sure, we finally got a barely functioning LRT system but what's the jab? It was fun for 2 weeks when it first opened but now it's a "fun" game to see if it doesn't get stuck. Don't get me started on the buses and routes. The routes are just as shit as they were when they were cut in 2011 across the board for the most part, never mind the restructuring of the whole bus network to reflect the scrap on the tracks that occasionally likes to stall when it feels like it bringing the whole goddamn system to a halt! Schedules have been absolute trash for almost 5 years now because OC believes 3 minute recoveries are realistic, certainly if you were on meth time! The buses are the same old and same old and I'm worried that OC Transpo is going to become the STO and run nothing but Novas except for NFI DD's once it's time to scrap the D60's, It'd ruin all remaining taste they had. Firstly, thank god OC chose Diesel for their LFS, and it will last us what, 13 years? I mean look at the Orion's, they're falling apart! As much a love the orion's over the LFS, they're junk now! Now I don't blame them as to why they don't want to replace the battery. If you had a phone for 3 years and the battery was dying, would you replace it or buy something new and sell off the broken crap? Granted, ONE thing I'll give to the LFS is that it's replacing the stupid Inveros and Orion's without bike racks, which btw, units under 4417 used to have them and TTC's Orion VII's have racks as well, why don't ours? I use to always get trippers around 3:30 everyday in the PM on the 97 (57 today) that was a 40ft D40i, but I always had to gamble whether the POS had a rack or not which can be such wasted time. All in all, I feel like OC is hitting that point were they're pretty dull. There's not really many interesting things for enthanist to see or do. I'm sure there will be things coming up soon such as the final Orion and Invero being retired, not forgetting the Invero charter (which has probably been cancelled) but given OC's situation, man I think they'll keep and abuse these bastards until Stage 2 is stable and complete as public opinion would be sour if they even attempted to reduce overall buses in service.

I mean I can't be the only who thinks this, the decline in active CPTDB users in the GOA should be a sign. Sure, I and some GOA members were amateurs and lacked etiquette which probably drove some away from the CPTDB, but IDK, I needed to get this off my mind. Could just be I'm cranky because of the COVID outbreak and it's piss poor raining outside, but man I'm telling you, it sucks feeling the way I do towards a thing I love riding (since 2007!), using it, photographing, etc. Some times, i just wish I can turn back the dial in history and relive the fun times. It doesn't help too that the STO now exclusively only runs LFS, or as I like to call, Loud-F#ing Scrap! I miss their HF buses...

I feel you — fanning in Toronto and Waterloo has become sort of a chore, especially with fewer and fewer subway operators being okay with photos. Sure, the subways are still fun (except for Line 1), but the streetcar network is as dull as ever, and the buses seem to be becoming more and more monotonous. At least the novas have some variety and we've got the few BEBs, but that's very insignificant. 

GRT has been in the sh*tter for quite some time. Ever since the last high floor bus left the fleet, everything is boring. Sure, the D40LFs were fun while they lasted, but they, along with the Orion VIIs are long gone. I do love a good 2013-2015 excelsior, or even a 2004/05 Nova, but everything else is bland as hell. GRT had the large restructuring back in 2017 and 2019, but both those honestly made routes more difficult to use as a commuter. I can't even think of one route, outside the 5, 6, and 31 (All routes that didn't or barely changed during the restructuring) that's a genuinely fun ride these days.  At least we have iON though — it brings some much needed variety to the system.

In all honesty, Philly, NYC, Boston, and Chicago are the places to be for fanning, especially rail fanning. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:35 AM, Loud-Invero said:

Heads up, long one...

I remember hearing similar sentiments from fellow bus fans and rail fans when Fishbowls and PCC cars were being replaced by Advanced Design Buses and modern light rail cars like the CLRV in the 1980's (I even knew a few old timers who largely considered the PCC cars to be newfangled and largely uninteresting!). 

That being said, I periodically find myself going through periods where I get bored with my 'home' system and it all feels like I've done everything and there is nothing new or interesting.  Taking a break usually helps me to recharge, and when I come back I find a new angle to my system, places I haven't visited, etc. 

Getting away and visiting other systems helps too.  Ottawa and Toronto are still fascinating cities to ride and photograph from a transit fan perspective for those of us who don't live there.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These days, I spend more time walking around in steel toed shoes at work than I do in regular shoes. The action of being able to walk without being considerably weighed down feels surreal.

• Like 1

On May 7, 2020 at 11:20 PM, PCC Guy said:

These days, I spend more time walking around in steel toed shoes at work than I do in regular shoes. The action of being able to walk without being considerably weighed down feels surreal.

You get used to it.  I hardly notice the difference going between the two anymore.  Do yours have the white background CSA label with the Omega that indicates that they've got the electrical resistance rating?  If so, you're on your way to the dark side, the evil world of being a cruel and ruthless master, rounding up huge numbers of electrons against their will and putting 'em to work.

• Haha 2