The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

37 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

Amazed that people actually care about inane "post counts" or "hits", what ever happened to quality???

Moaning about everyone on this discussion board more than even contributing to the board yourself doesn't place you much higher on the "quality" scale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Couldn't you leave home and go flying?

My flight lessons are limited to when the conditions are actually good. So high ceiling (High Clouds or Sunny), low winds and no precipitation in the forcasts. So if there's high winds or bad weather, my flight gets cancelled in advance. My day doesn't stop, but it puts me more behind on my training. 

• Like 1

1)  Good soup stock can't be rushed. I let a chicken carcass plus a bunch of thigh bones slowly simmer all afternoon and evening while I sit and relax in the living room with the fire burning and music playing.

2)  Starting the music library and then letting it play whole albums in whatever order they're sorted in start to finish then on to the next album has been a relaxing way of rediscovering music in my library that's been off the beaten path.

3)  This Pioneer home theatre receiver is surprisingly good sounding for a class D amplifier but it's still somewhat ear fatiguing. I need to get on with modifying the sound system so I can switch in a tube preamp and tube power amps or an integrated amp for music playback and the home theatre receiver for TV and movie use.

4)  I hate flabby limp bass.  There's no need to roll it off if you're mastering for tape or digital distribution since they're not subject to the limitations of what you can cut into a record and then play back.  Bass should be able to thunder.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

It's so cold out even my back yard looks visibly frigid!

Clear sunny skies make it even colder.  Meanwhile +4°C here in Edmonton right now... but that is about to change, and along with a slow moving cold front we have a heavy snowfall warning in effect. YAY for us.. (NOT).

I've got the Super Bowl on in the corner and I am not a good spectator.  I'd really rather be geared up and out there playing than watching especially since I missed my own game last night.

22 hours ago, 7575 said:

Toronto, the foamer's paradise. 

I shouldn't be thinking about this crap while I go to bed. It is proven to be unhealthy.

Agreed about the unhealthy part, but what prompted thinking about it in the first place?

11 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Despite it being -40°C with the windchill today, I much prefer being outside in the deep-freeze rather than the crazy hot weather in the summer.

I have come to the complete opposite conclusion:P (although frankly, neither extreme is nice). I wish Toronto's seasonal variations were less extreme, kinda like Vanc (although I heard it gets a lot of rain)

On 2/2/2019 at 11:01 PM, 7575 said:

Toronto IS North America's foamer paradise. 

You forgetting NYC?:P

5 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I have come to the complete opposite conclusion:P (although frankly, neither extreme is nice). I wish Toronto's seasonal variations were less extreme, kinda like Vancouver (although I heard it gets a lot of rain)

Vancouver does not get as much rain as most people think it does. I LOVE rain and the four years I spent in Vancouver were somewhat disappointing in that regard. They get lots of rain in the fall and winter, but spring and summer can be dreadfully dry. Grass turns brown and trees are chasing dogs. Vancouver is beautiful and has a moderate climate temperature wise for the most part (not as extreme as in some places) And it has trolleys. When you have trolleys, it does make up for a lot of other shortcomings. ?

16 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Despite it being -40°C with the windchill today, I much prefer being outside in the deep-freeze rather than the crazy hot weather in the summer.

I actually prefer the opposite as well. I absolutely hate the cold, but love the heat. I have a high heat tolerance as well for some reason. Hell, even when my room is hot in the summer, I still sleep with a blanket covering me. I just can't sleep without a blanket. 

As for being outside, heat for me is more tolerable than cold.

The only thing I like about winter is the snow at night. Looks pretty. Everything else I hate.