The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

What do you mean by your second question? Do you mean why do people thank posts calling out another person? 

Because I feel that I might of made some aggressive posts the other day and I got quoted about them and a lot of people thanks the user that quoted me.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

It might be early but is anybody getting into the holiday spirit right now?

Not at all with University. I see it all around me with people setting there decorations up after Halloween, advertisements, to my boss singing Christmas Carols in October (Doesn't help that my boss' last name is Holly) I don't get into the Holiday Spirit early.  I normally get into the spirit a week before Christmas as that's when I'm done for the semester and that's when I can have a few extra drinks and I can spend time with family without the stress of school. 

I actually grown to despise Christmas in general. It's all about aggressive marketing and not spending time with family nowadays. I generally avoid the malls and don't buy gifts for anyone except for my parents as I used to give but don't recieve in return. 

Yeah I know, I sound like the grinch but that's my two cents about Christmas from my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I carry the spirit of Christmas (Goodwill and all that stuff) all year. Love, Peace on Earth etc should not be limited to one day a year. As it stands, we say all this stuff and then BAM it's over. I don't need Christmas, or commercials, or aggressive marketing campaigns to goad me into buying things for friends and family. I can (and do) this throughout the year whenever I feel like it. I shudder at all the useless cheap crap vying for your / my credit card lining the store shelves. (And the throngs of clueless people so scared on missing Christmas that they buy this useless crap).

That being said, I do start gift bags (usually reusable tote bags or similar) in late October or early November. One bag for my son and his family, one bag for my friend Vi. One for my neighbor Rita and two or three smaller grab bag size for my swim pals. I usually buy an advent calendar from The Body Shop. It is full of miniature body butters, hand creams, body lotions, lip balms etc. I divy those up into the gift bags for my swim pals (Mary, Lou, and Esther). 

I wait for half price sales at the Body Shop and get nice regular sized items for Vi and Rita. I know them well enough I can hand pick things I know they will like.

My son and family get some Chocolate Letters (A Dutch tradition of giving someone a Chocolate Initial of their first name - see attached), and a bag of some small Dutch cookies called 'kruidnoten'. Plus if I see something useful in my travels I will purchase it and place it in their bag. This year I bought them some reusable 'wobbly' silicone straws in fun colors. Not sure what else I will toss into the bag.

It's not so much Christmas to me as it is the desire to know someone well enough to give them something thoughtful and useful. I hate giving crap, because I hate getting crap. And if that's what Christmas has become, then count me out. I will do Christmas my way, on my own terms, at Christmas or any other time of the year.

IMG_4544.JPG

• Like 1

I love Christmas, but the insanity of retail shoppers is insane and makes me look forward to it being over. Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Boxing Day are an unholy trinity of abominations that should be outlawed (except if you're buying digital goods, those are fine).

• Like 2

Once I passed a certain age (:rolleyes:) I began to look forward to New Year's rather than Christmas.

14 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I love Christmas, but the insanity of retail shoppers is insane and makes me look forward to it being over. Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and Boxing Day are an unholy trinity of abominations that should be outlawed (except if you're buying digital goods, those are fine).

You're probably too young to remember the Tickle Me Elmo epidemic.:lol:

• Haha 1

Has anyone noticed this? Black Friday Deals online may sound like a bargain until you factor the shipping and exchange rate between CAD and USD? Until the dollar rises, going to shop from Canadian online stores. Which isn't a bad thing I suppose, supporting the local economy. 

• Like 1

On November 20, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Downsview 108 said:

Once I passed a certain age (:rolleyes:) I began to look forward to New Year's rather than Christmas.

You're probably too young to remember the Tickle Me Elmo epidemic.:lol:

I didn't know I could groan and laugh at the same time until I read that!  This one lady I knew at the time was a major Elmo fan and had to have one and somehow by hook or by crook, she got one.  Turn the clock back more and I can tell you about things you can do with a microphone, a cassette deck with accurate multitrack punch in/punch out capabilities, and a synthesized function generator to mock up the control data, and a Teddy Ruxbin tape.  Oh boy, I got in trouble for that one!

On November 19, 2018 at 8:01 PM, captaintrolley said:

My son and family get some Chocolate Letters (A Dutch tradition of giving someone a Chocolate Initial of their first name), and a bag of some small Dutch cookies called 'kruidnoten'. Plus if I see something useful in my travels I will purchase it and place it in their bag. This year I bought them some reusable 'wobbly' silicone straws in fun colors. Not sure what else I will toss into the bag.

It's not so much Christmas to me as it is the desire to know someone well enough to give them something thoughtful and useful. I hate giving crap, because I hate getting crap. And if that's what Christmas has become, then count me out. I will do Christmas my way, on my own terms, at Christmas or any other time of the year.

I like the idea of setting up bags and accumulating small, thoughtful gifts for a period of time before Christmas.  I may have to borrow that one for next year.  And I agree about knowing people well enough to give meaningful gifts at any time.  Truly, it is the thought involved that counts, and I'm glad more people are deciding to ignore the sappy music and the marketing BS and everything else that goes with what's been spun into an annual wintertime spendfest and do it on their own terms instead of those marketed by big business.

On November 19, 2018 at 8:36 PM, PCC Guy said:

I think you're understating that awful trifecta - Boxing Day has been spun into a whole WEEK for years now!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I like the idea of setting up bags and accumulating small, thoughtful gifts for a period of time before Christmas.  I may have to borrow that one for next year.  And I agree about knowing people well enough to give meaningful gifts at any time.  Truly, it is the thought involved that counts, and I'm glad more people are deciding to ignore the sappy music and the marketing BS and everything else that goes with what's been spun into an annual wintertime spendfest and do it on their own terms instead of those marketed by big business.

It works well. I usually start mid October and my small bags are filled by the end of November. I make up little bags for my swim pals too.  Swimmers usually like soaps, body washes, shampoos and conditioners - stuff like that. The Body Shop always has deals on their 'minis'. Sometimes I will buy the Body Shop Advent calendar.  It has 25 cardboard punch out 'windows' each containing an item.  I get the fun (and hit of dopamine) for each 'window' I open, then I decide who gets what and place it in their bag. Totally fun, and again priding myself on knowing my friends well enough to gift them something I know they will enjoy. 

The small pink / blue 'party favor' type bags are for my swim pals. The reusable blue tote is for son & his family, the Butterfly tote is for my best friend (she loves anything with butterflies!!!), the LuLu Lemon tote is for my neighbor and the Santa gift bag is for my room mate. I have lots of fun doing this every year. For a long time I never did much for Christmas, but having grandchildren, and being retired and having time to think of thoughtful gifts has changed all that.

IMG_4537.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

8 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I didn't know I could groan and laugh at the same time until I read that!  This one lady I knew at the time was a major Elmo fan and had to have one and somehow by hook or by crook, she got one.  Turn the clock back more and I can tell you about things you can do with a microphone, a cassette deck with accurate multitrack punch in/punch out capabilities, and a synthesized function generator to mock up the control data, and a Teddy Ruxbin tape.  Oh boy, I got in trouble for that one!

Yeah I remember seeing those going for upwards of $2500 in the Toronto Star Classfieds. Man, I wished I was older to have gotten in on that hustle. I don't know what you're implying with the rest of that but it sounds like you discovered a musical genre the likes of which would be presented at places like Burning Man. :lol: Ruxpincore. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Yeah I remember seeing those going for upwards of $2500 in the Toronto Star Classfieds. Man, I wished I was older to have gotten in on that hustle. I don't know what you're implying with the rest of that but it sounds like you discovered a musical genre the likes of which would be presented at places like Burning Man. :lol: Ruxpincore. :lol:

It was insane.  I think I remember hearing there were brawls over them at stores that had stock when it got low.  The Teddy Ruxbin was my curiosity over how they did it and when saw I one for the first time and discovered they were using cassette tapes for the stories, I thought maybe they used some filtering to make the bear move around based on the sound on the tape.  I didn't realize they split a stereo tape into a single channel of audio for the narrator's voice and used the other one for this simple control track for the robotics so I got curious to see if I could do an editing job on it.  It took some work but I was able to get it done and inserted my sarcastic commentary on what I thought about the children's story.  I guess that qualifies as spoken word as far as genre goes.  It did not go over well, mainly because I modified/ruined an original tape in doing it.  It didn't even cross my mind to dub the tape and experiment on the duplicate.

Jeez, thinking back to some of the stuff I did, I used to be a major shit disturber when I was starting out learning and experimenting with computers and electronics but that's how you learn, take things apart to see how they work, make changes, experiment.  Random thoughts on how I used to get in trouble in the early-mid 1990s.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

It was insane.  I think I remember hearing there were brawls over them at stores that had stock when it got low.  The Teddy Ruxbin was my curiosity over how they did it and when saw I one for the first time and discovered they were using cassette tapes for the stories, I thought maybe they used some filtering to make the bear move around based on the sound on the tape.  I didn't realize they split a stereo tape into a single channel of audio for the narrator's voice and used the other one for this simple control track for the robotics so I got curious to see if I could do an editing job on it.  It took some work but I was able to get it done and inserted my sarcastic commentary on what I thought about the children's story.  I guess that qualifies as spoken word as far as genre goes.  It did not go over well, mainly because I modified/ruined an original tape in doing it.  It didn't even cross my mind to dub the tape and experiment on the duplicate.

Jeez, thinking back to some of the stuff I did, I used to be a major shit disturber when I was starting out learning and experimenting with computers and electronics but that's how you learn, take things apart to see how they work, make changes, experiment.  Random thoughts on how I used to get in trouble in the early-mid 1990s.

ANd that my friends is the definition of a TRUE hacker^^^ :lol: I'm interested in how that worked myself now that you mention it. I actually didn't know that doll actually moved with the tape. I thought it was just creepy animatronic action for the commercials. Good old tape storage. I used to do the same thing with my toys to the dismay of my parents. I remember pulling a motor out of a toy car I got for Christmas literally 2 hours after I got it. That was my first foray into the electronics world LOL. It was so much easier to do back then even with computers. Back when hacking involved a soldering iron and sometimes a defroster repair kit!

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Random thought:  How much auto bailout money would it be possible to recover from GM?

Take it from ford's 6 figure earning cronies.

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Take it from ford's 6 figure earning cronies.

Now why would you do That?  GM is closing their plant to reduce costs.

Maybe jobs could have been saved via a reduction in costs???

Noting the walk-out/hissy fit in "their plant" that occurred, I'd venture No how, no way.

Maybe if the plant was located in Quebec  (think Bombardier)???

13 minutes ago, Benton Harper said:

Now why would you do That?  GM is closing their plant to reduce costs.

Maybe jobs could have been saved via a reduction in costs???

Noting the walk-out/hissy fit in "their plant" that occurred, I'd venture No how, no way.

Maybe if the plant was located in Quebec  (think Bombardier)???

So, what you're saying is politicians don't have the power to create or keep jobs?

3 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

So then you're in favour of a Government run economy, from guaranteed jobs, production quota's and the other trappings that have served Cuba and the USSR so well?

Answer the question. If governments have no power to create or retain jobs then what are cons talking about when they blabber on about how many jobs are lost because of minimum wages or about how they're gonna keep jobs and manufacturing at home? 

3 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

So then you're in favour of a Government run economy, from guaranteed jobs, production quota's and the other trappings that have served Cuba and the USSR so well?

Then why was Donald Trump telling GM that they'd better get something into Ohio during that press conference?  Since when does the president of the United States go on live TV and dictate production planning of private companies?  If he owns shares, save it for the next proxy vote.

• Like 2

I can't explain why Ontario is the only province in Canada that recognizes "Boxing Day" as a statutory holiday.  There are some times in which Boxing Day was held on a weekend - only to be "observed" the following Monday. 

What is the difference between Boxing Day "proper" and Boxing Day "observed"?

2 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I can't explain why Ontario is the only province in Canada that recognizes "Boxing Day" as a statutory holiday.  There are some times in which Boxing Day was held on a weekend - only to be "observed" the following Monday. 

Alberta recognizes Boxing Day as a stat. All Government offices are closed, essential services are maintained. If Boxing Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the following Monday will be observed in lieu off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was enroute to the University for the first of four exams I have to write in the next week. As the bus was going down the highway all I was thinking was the song "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC.

Well once this exam this done this evening, I got another one at 9AM the following morning! Yes I know, this is first world problems but it's one of the most stressful times for students. Plus I have yet to start thinking about Christmas or enjoy having a couple drinks. 

16 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

You got this. Best of luck in your exams so you can enjoy Christmas and some yuletide drinks ?

Thanks! Thinking Gin and Tonics or Eggnog and Bourbon. 

For once I'm attempting to do well in University as they threw me in academic probation last year so I'm just attempting to get my mark up. Well I just wrote one last night and about to write another one in two hours. Since my professor has yet to mark my term paper + the final exam which accounts for 50% of my final grade, RIP my 82%!