The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

Gonna change the topic to something a bit brighter and completely irrelevant.

I was driving beside this Kenworth on the 403 yesterday. It had the dirtiest exhaust note ever at highway cruising speeds. Literally sat there beside it with the window down for a good 5 minutes lol. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Using the desktop version of CPTDB is much harder than using the mobile version. There's more features, but it's going to be hard to get used to.

I use the desk top version. There's nothing difficult about it. If I can do it, anyone can do it. I'm an old person and way behind most people when it comes to technology.

IMO mobile version is less convenient to use (as is pretty much anything on mobile vs desktop), and the fact that it ALWAYS freezes & crashes on my phone after like 40 seconds really doesn't help. Though that has nothing to do with the site (or maybe partially so - not all sites do this, but this isn't the only site/app that does) and everything to do with the shitty S2. Can't wait to get a new phone (gotta figure that one out after I'm done school).

On another note, it's really annoying that now you can't even open your fb messages on mobile without having to install messenger. I uninstalled it because it also would never load/crash.

Mobile and desktop is identical for me. No Performance issues on my s4 either. You can access FB messages on mobile by hitting the back button when it takes you to the play store so you return to the browser and then going to "load desktop version" in your browser settings. Click the messages icon and then it will load them in the browser. I just use messenger lite.

Anyway happy record store day. B)

Glad I'm not still 23. Otherwise no less than 3 paycheques would perish this day. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

...snip... Anyway happy record store day. B)

I did not see any RSD offerings listed that I would even get out of bed for. Besides I get my records at thrift stores. Much more cheaply!!:D:D<_<:D

000_0045.jpg

100_9121.JPG

Tyger on Onkyo TX4500mk2 posted to Silver face 08oct17.jpg

On 4/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, Downsview 108 said:

Someone just asked me where the buttons were on a vintage rotary phone I'm selling.

I should have told him it's a rare "buttonless" prototype and double my money.

-_-

Can you post a photo? I collect old phones. One of my favorites:

100_3031.JPG

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I did not see any RSD offerings listed that I would even get out of bed for. Besides I get my records at thrift stores. Much more cheaply!!:D:D<_<:D

000_0045.jpg

100_9121.JPG

Tyger on Onkyo TX4500mk2 posted to Silver face 08oct17.jpg

Can you post a photo? I collect old phones. One of my favorites:

100_3031.JPG

Nice. Is that a payphone? Nice table too. I see you got the m97xe. Classic.;)

I like going to thrift stores too but those records are usually picked clean before they're even stocked. Found some nice stuff tho. 

Here's the phone.

20180421_230353.png

29 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

What's the second arm for ?

image.jpeg

DustBug. It traces the grooves and cleans the dust. His cartridge has another brush too. Your records must be pristine. :D

Here's a recent thrift store find among a bunch of other 78s:

20180421_231004.png

I used to have a rotary, but Edmonton Telephones wanted it back, not sure why because they weren't going to use it anymore. They let me keep the Harmony phone.  Here are my phones. The white one with the round buttons found a loving home recently. The call display unit is on loan (to the same loving home - I want that back).

phone1.JPG

phone2.JPG

phone3.JPG

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

Wow. Blast from the past. We used to have both the 2nd and 3rd ones pictured in the 80s except white not blue and the rotary shaped push button one was the same colour as the rotary above. 

Cool.  Those are all touch tone phones.  I used to have a rotary phone except it had push buttons that formed a circle (like a rotary phone).  When you pushed the buttons, it actually did the click click click like a rotary phone. Our area didn't have touch tone yet. Too bad it crapped out. It was a nice phone.  It was the first phone I ever actually purchased from a store called 'The Phone Exchange'.  They were just getting into selling phones, prior to that the phone company gave you a phone to use, but it was still their property. (which is why I had to give my black rotary phone back to the phone company).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, captaintrolley said:

Cool.  I used to have a rotary phone except it had push buttons that formed a circle (like a rotary phone).  When you pushed the buttons, it actually did the click click click like a rotary phone. Our area didn't have touch tone yet. Too bad it crapped out. It was a nice phone.  It was the first phone I ever actually purchased from a store called 'The Phone Exchange'.  They were just getting into selling phones, prior to that the phone company gave you a phone to use, but it was still their property.

Yeah I wondered where all those phones we got came from. Including at least 3 of those "slimline" ones with the diagonal oval buttons. Ah Northern Telecom. :D I wish cell phone companies gave out free phones.:rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Pffff all these android users smh

The best thing Apple ever made was the IIGS. They should have stopped there.-_-

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

What's the second arm for ?

image.jpeg

It is a brush and felt pad for a last-minute debris remover. Look up "dust bug" and you can get a better idea of what it does.

• Like 1

I love my Nokia C300.  The 'Harmony' of cell phones :lol:

device-nokia-c3-00.jpg

5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

It is a brush and felt pad for a last-minute debris remover. Look up "dust bug" and you can get a better idea of what it does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record players are so much more sophisticated than they were in my day.  We just went over our records with a lint free chamois type cloth. Kept the records nice and polished. I had a nice console record player and a 'portable' (which was really not all that portable by today's standards).  A nice selection of records too, including a 78 rpm.

• Like 2

I hate when I get called on by a teacher. I am introverted, so I simply do not speak in class. nor do I want to.

It's gotten to the point where people ask why I don't talk at all. It's like they think I'm mute (and therefore incapable of talking). That personally offends me as I am NOT mute, not even selectively mute. I have the ability to speak in all situations, contrary to their beliefs. I just choose not to speak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Pepsi should really consider bringing back their old globe logo for the generational campaign. It makes sense, after all.

Personally, I'm team Pepsi. Pepsi or Coke?

Honestly, Coke.

The regular Pepsi drink has more sugar and tastes a little too sweet. I know both drinks are bad for your health, but I am team Coke any day ? Unless Pepsi is the only option of the two, haha.