The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

10 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I also look back and laugh/cringe at myself a few years ago when I first joined (I've since "Delete"'d all my old posts that made me feel awkward looking back). I was still immature when I was 19, and I've changed quite a bit in those 3 years (though I still have a long way to improve). I always felt the same about taking part in the transit fanning hobby, but I didn't hide it per se. I did talk about my transit-related interests with some friends, but still felt awkward about it whenever someone would ask why I'm into buses (that's no longer the case, anyway - subway only; though even that can get boring eventually). Some people always ask, "if you have an interest in this, why not make it your career? Otherwise, why waste your time?" and I don't really know what to say. I don't really have plans to pursue a career in this direction, although perhaps something engineering-related would be a good way to go. I'm still kinda clueless about my future right now & trying to figure everything out. About the only things I'm looking forward to about getting older (past 30) is witnessing the T1 retirement & replacement, potential future subway extensions (Scarborough, DRL...?), and being able to re-visit Russia without getting drafted.

When I first started out, I used to be much more childlike in my posts. I kept making threads for simple questions that could be put in another thread.

I have since then improved in my posts. Sure, I did argue with some people on here. I don't get involved anymore. When somebody told me that my bus spotting was not unusual enough to be put in a bus spotting thread, I told him that it was a bus spotting thread. He said it was for unusual spottings, but it wasn't his thread. Therefore, he had no business in telling people what to post. I told him to let it go, and he seems to have stopped complaining. That was just a fluke, as normally, going off topic will not get you anywhere.

Then there was the whole issue with a certain sombody posting memes to derail a thread. I told him to let it go because he was derailing the thread. I'm not going to reveal his name in case he has a fit, but it was obvious who did it.

Now, I'm much more mature. I generally don't post unless necessary, I do not get involved in verbal arguments or threads, and I don't ask stupid questions. I'm still in my mid teens.

31 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

I`m not gonna lie, I`m not a huge fan of the TRs. Always been more of a T1 fan. Love the way they sound, and they have that distinct smell that I love (no not piss). The traction motors on those things just sound amazing. I find the TRs are nice, but too quiet; no excitement. Additonally, I grew up riding them alot when I used to live near Bloor West Village. The H5s and 6s never did it for me, it was always the T1s. And I`ve always liked the interior of the T1s, with the super wide deep red doors. And we can`t forget sitting at the front window. That`s probably the best feature.

Funny, I always felt the exact same about the H5's specifically (their traction motors were music to my ears). Can't say the same about the other cars (except maybe H6's). And I always preferred the H5 interior (yellow-orange doors & bright red floor). The T1's always seemed boring and pale in comparison. So unfortunate that of all cars the TTC had, only the H5's and H6's in particular were the most difficult to get parts for their chopper controls. I'm glad they're saving a CLRV/ALRV (also chopper control) but that still just doesn't do it for me like the 5/6's (though I'm grateful 5707 was saved as a movie prop, as incomplete as it is). I don't like the fact that the TR's are quiet either, but on some sections of the line (including downhill Finch - NYC) that's no longer the case. They started to sound a lot like the 81-717's. Still vaguely reminds me of the H5 noise on the same sections of the line.

Yeah, I`m interested to see what replaces them too. Hopefully something that sounds good :P

I'd hope for something that sounds like the H5's but obvs it'll never happen.

Oh trust me, for me its been more than laughs, its more on the lines of "what the actual f@ck is this man saying"

I can relate for sure.

29 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Now, I'm much more mature. I generally don't post unless necessary, I do not get involved in verbal arguments or threads, and I don't ask stupid questions.

Same, I hardly post these days cuz I don't really have much to say, mostly just checking any unread topics and reacting to other people's posts.

30 minutes ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

Funny, I always felt the exact same about the H5's specifically (their traction motors were music to my ears). Can't say the same about the other cars (except maybe H6's). And I always preferred the H5 interior (yellow-orange doors & bright red floor). The T1's always seemed boring and pale in comparison. So unfortunate that of all cars the TTC had, only the H5's and H6's in particular were the most difficult to get parts for their chopper controls. I'm glad they're saving a CLRV/ALRV (also chopper control) but that still just doesn't do it for me like the 5/6's (though I'm grateful 5707 was saved as a movie prop, as incomplete as it is). I don't like the fact that the TR's are quiet either, but on some sections of the line (including downhill Finch - NYC) that's no longer the case. They started to sound a lot like the 81-717's. Still vaguely reminds me of the H5 noise on the same sections of the line.

This (7:02) 

is why I love the T1s. The H5s always reminded me of the CLRVs, and if recall correctly they shared parts, which is why they sound somewhat similar. T1s I've just found cool. I'm a '98, so I guess you could say I haven't experienced the H4/5/6s to their fullest...so say what you will. 
37 minutes ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I'd hope for something that sounds like the H5's but obvs it'll never happen.

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

I'm hoping for something musical, like this: 

. I just want a dope sounding subway man...but I guess we can call that a "transit related dream"....

I too can relate to posting asinine posts when I was younger. Much as I enjoy going back and reminiscing about those days, I can't read my posts without physically recoiling. When I first joined this forum I asked the stupidest questions CONSTANTLY. I'm not gonna post it here, but there was one time when someone posted a photo of a D40LF with a hybrid waiting behind, positioned so that it obscured all but the battery packs, and I believed claims that the D40LFs were all gonna be turned into hybrids... :wacko:

It didn't get much better as I got older; instead of being super naive and stupid I was instead an enormously pretentious douchebag when I entered high school. "Music about love isn't real music" is probably in the top 5 of stupidest sentences I've ever written :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

I too can relate to posting asinine posts when I was younger. Much as I enjoy going back and reminiscing about those days, I can't read my posts without physically recoiling. When I first joined this forum I asked the stupidest questions CONSTANTLY. I'm not gonna post it here, but there was one time when someone posted a photo of a D40LF with a hybrid waiting behind, positioned so that it obscured all but the battery packs, and I believed claims that the D40LFs were all gonna be turned into hybrids... :wacko:

It didn't get much better as I got older; instead of being super naive and stupid I was instead an enormously pretentious douchebag when I entered high school. "Music about love isn't real music" is probably in the top 5 of stupidest sentences I've ever written :lol:

Since we're doing the self-roast here, I'll join in too. I looked through my old posts 2 or 3 times. And every time I've done it, I have to smack myself.

I remember when the whole "MiWay" scheme rolled out and I saw the first express artics, I thought they had repainted the 08 artics and made them hybrids, because of the roofline lol. 

I remember I asked in the MiWay thread was New Flyer's new design language was going to be, and I was politely told to take the question somewhere else. That was one of many silly posts. And don't forget, they were done with bad grammar, lowercase, more like a chat group rather than a discussion board. 

So, in the end.....

Image result for same but different gif 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 8:34 AM, MiWay0310 said:

Since we're doing the self-roast here, I'll join in too. I looked through my old posts 2 or 3 times. And every time I've done it, I have to smack myself.

I remember when the whole "MiWay" scheme rolled out and I saw the first express artics, I thought they had repainted the 08 artics and made them hybrids, because of the roofline lol. 

I remember I asked in the MiWay thread was New Flyer's new design language was going to be, and I was politely told to take the question somewhere else. That was one of many silly posts. And don't forget, they were done with bad grammar, lowercase, more like a chat group rather than a discussion board. 

So, in the end.....

Image result for same but different gif 

image.jpeg

I've looked through my (now deleted) posts, and wow. I made a thread asking about Tamarack ads on Inveros, and every single time I think about it, I facepalm. That thread is gone. I also went off topic a few times, which I don't know why I did that. Back in the day, I used to create too many threads at the same time. When somebody called me out on it, they said something like "Are you trying to start a new record for the most threads in a day"?

This same guy has complained about various things. I have told him politely to knock it off. I find that he has been a bit rude to new users, as well. It was my friend's first day starting here. She posted something that she found, but someone else posted a link to where it could be posted. He seemed a bit annoyed. Maybe he should be a little more polite to new users, as I've found him a bit rude. Luckily, I put a stop to that.

There was also someone else who has sent a message telling me to stop, and they've already reported me. They should have at least messaged me before reporting an admin so I knew to stop. Nowadays, I never get reported by anyone else.

I have always had good grammar and spelling, though.

9 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

This (7:02) 

is why I love the T1s. The H5s always reminded me of the CLRVs, and if recall correctly they shared parts, which is why they sound somewhat similar. T1s I've just found cool. I'm a '98, so I guess you could say I haven't experienced the H4/5/6s to their fullest...so say what you will. 

And

(00:11) why I loved the H5's. The CLRV's do have similar technology and buzzing noise, but they definitely never sound like the H5's in this video. Although I'm '95 and T1's were technically my generation (and you said it better than me: we never experienced the H's to the fullest), but I still prefered H's over T's lol.

I'll join in this convo too :P

I'm in high school and honestly, I really don't care if people know about my interest, but I won't go out of my way to mention it to people unless they're my friend.

--

Personally, I'll really miss the MiWay D40LFs when they retire. The 2003s were bought in the same year I was born, so I've seen them around for my entire life. I'll never forget their screaming powertrains.

I may actually miss the EZRs too, since they've been around since I was 4, and for most of my life I've lived near a route that gets them 24/7. Even though they're shitty buses, I'll still miss them based on nostalgia.

--

I started posting on cptdb in 2014, when I was just starting middle school. I remember posting some really dumb stuff about ad wraps in the MiWay thread and constantly talking about my own transit system in the "Anyone create their own transit system?" thread.

Also, if you ever find the "If buses could talk" thread, you'll see like five posts by me that say "Delete". That's because they used to be really dumb stories involving MiWay buses in fantasy situations, and I became so embarassed by them at one point that I just tried to delete them all. They're still there, as far as I know.

For whatever reason, my grammar has always been pretty good since I started. Probably because I was a grammar nazi back then...

--

Forgot to mention, I still have my first ever photo, from June 5th, 2015. It turned out really well for a first photo ;)

1137a.JPG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TransitfanJW said:

I'll join in this convo too :P

I'm in high school and honestly, I really don't care if people know about my interest, but I won't go out of my way to mention it to people unless they're my friend.

--

Personally, I'll really miss the MiWay D40LFs when they retire. The 2003s were bought in the same year I was born, so I've seen them around for my entire life. I'll never forget their screaming powertrains.

I may actually miss the EZRs too, since they've been around since I was 4, and for most of my life I've lived near a route that gets them 24/7. Even though they're shitty buses, I'll still miss them based on nostalgia.

--

I started posting on cptdb in 2014, when I was just starting middle school. I remember posting some really dumb stuff about ad wraps in the MiWay thread and constantly talking about my own transit system in the "Anyone create their own transit system?" thread.

Also, if you ever find the "If buses could talk" thread, you'll see like five posts by me that say "Delete". That's because they used to be really dumb stories involving MiWay buses in fantasy situations, and I became so embarassed by them at one point that I just tried to delete them all. They're still there, as far as I know.

For whatever reason, my grammar has always been pretty good since I started. Probably because I was a grammar nazi back then...

I have to figure out what to do when 0310 retires!!!!!!

I'm probably going to miss every bus when they retire, save the EZs. Always disliked them. I haven't ridden on 06 often enough to like them either. But yup, will certainly be missing the 03s when they retire. Crazy how loud they get on the highway. 

____

side note: I was just messing with you in the Nova delivery thread lol. You can see my edit.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, D. Jacenkovic said:

And

(00:11) why I loved the H5's.

That sounded good ngl. I've always loved when the subways rip it through the switches before platforms and you hear the wheels thundering over them as they enter the station. The quicker the entry, the cooler it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

Amateur alert: What's a chopper?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopper_(electronics)

" A chopper is a device that converts fixed DC input to a variable DC output voltage directly. "

It basically makes the acceleration smoother than the older camshaft control cars which did the same job mechanically (I think).

The buzzing sound you hear on the H5 is the chopper. The demo for the chopper control cars was the former H3 class (H2s number 5500-5505). Those six cars were converted from H2 to H3 by installing Hitachi choppers. Apparently they made the same noise as the H5 but it stayed on as long as the train was moving. The cars were converted back to H2 in 1984. You can see the H3's in the TV movie "she cried murder (1973)" which was filmed in Toronto with LOTS of subway shots (Lots of shots of the old Osgoode station, and the final chase scene was filmed in Greenwood yard). Find it on Youtube, you get to see Telly Savales (kojak) get electrocuted :lol:

• Thanks 2

More like a Random Question here, as opposed to a thought.  I read this article about mobile alerts coming to cell phones (n Canada) in April (article attached) .  The article states the cell phone must be LTE compatible.  What is LTE and how do I know if my phone is LTE compatible??? Thanks in advance for answers.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canadians-know-incoming-missile-attack-152720840.html

On 27/01/2018 at 10:13 PM, captaintrolley said:

More like a Random Question here, as opposed to a thought.  I read this article about mobile alerts coming to cell phones (n Canada) in April (article attached) .  The article states the cell phone must be LTE compatible.  What is LTE and how do I know if my phone is LTE compatible??? Thanks in advance for answers.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/canadians-know-incoming-missile-attack-152720840.html

LTE is a technology used to reach your phone from the cell tower. Most non smartphone generally don't have it, but if you do have it usually in the corner on the top of the screen somewhere it will say 4G or LTE instead of H, H+ or 3G as it replaces those technologies (but of course new phone still have 3G integrated for areas with no LTE or other countries)

4 hours ago, buizelbus said:

LTE is a technology used to reach your phone from the cell tower. Most non smartphone generally don't have it, but if you do have it usually in the corner on the top of the screen somewhere it will say 4G or LTE instead of H, H+ or 3G as it replaces those technologies (but of course new phone still have 3G integrated for areas with no LTE or other countries)

OK, Thanks. I just have a signal strength in one corner and the time and date in the other corner. These are my phones specs. Can you tell if it has LTE..  it does seem to have a lot of stuff..

https://www.cnet.com/products/nokia-c3-00-cellular-phone-gsm-series/specs/

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

OK, Thanks. I just have a signal strength in one corner and the time and date in the other corner. These are my phones specs. Can you tell if it has LTE..  it does seem to have a lot of stuff..

https://www.cnet.com/products/nokia-c3-00-cellular-phone-gsm-series/specs/

I have looked up your phone model, and your phone is not compatible with 4G/LTE, or 3G. The only data it's compatible with is EDGE. 

EDGE is much slower than the others, only reaching 384Kbps, while 3G/HSPA goes up to 10Mbps, which is a LOT faster. 4G reaches 20Mbps at it's fastest, but the theoretical speed caps at 100Mbps, however.

Most current smartphones from around 2011 on are 4G/LTE compatible. I am pretty sure flip or non smartphones don't have it, as they're typically sold for low prices due to how barebones they are.

11 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I have looked up your phone model, and your phone is not compatible with 4G/LTE, or 3G. The only data it's compatible with is EDGE. 

EDGE is much slower than the others, only reaching 384Kbps, while 3G/HSPA goes up to 10Mbps, which is a LOT faster. 4G reaches 20Mbps at it's fastest, but the theoretical speed caps at 100Mbps, however.

Most current smartphones from around 2011 on are 4G/LTE compatible. I am pretty sure flip or non smartphones don't have it, as they're typically sold for low prices due to how barebones they are.

Thanks.  I bought my phone in mid 2012 so it's not that old. I just use it for texting and taking unplanned photos when I don't have my camera with me. It was inexpensive, $128.00 (including all the taxes)  I like how easy it is to use for a technosaur like myself.  Lucky me when disaster strikes LOL.

Biking in the snow is hella fun peeps. No issues at all. Was getting stuck behind traffic in all honesty...too many people drive like sissies in the snow.

Here are some of the garbage pictures I took from Instagram. As some may know, iPhones are pretty pathetic in the cold because of the Li-ion batteries...

rsz_img-2086.jpg

rsz_img-2088.jpg

I'm looking forward to donuts later. 

10 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Speaking of data speeds, today I reached my 3G data limit on chatr and so my speeds have been reduced until my next billing cycle. I only wish chatr would have LTE because pretty much every modern smartphone has it including my spanking new HMD Global Nokia 6. When I took it to a dealer to have my mini-SIM cut to a micro-SIM to fit inside, they disabled LTE speeds on my phone and set the maximum data speed to HSPA.

5 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Just for the record, I thought it would be worth mentioning that I've done this much work today, and I have 2 tests this week.

08794D04-F1AA-4D74-A010-8309C6980391.jpeg

You'd better get studying, or whatever you have to do!

I can also relate. I rarely ever studied for tests, and I seem to always have gotten at least a B. Starting this year, I've decided to better my study habits so that I can get good grades. You'll also need good work habits to be successful.

I have procrastinated, but I almost always manage to get a good grade. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to put this in the FML moments thread as this isn't  life-ruining events, but very irritating nonetheless:

I thought I forgot my keys, so I waited 15 minutes outside my house for my mom to come home. Checked my pockets again, the keys were at the very bottom of my inner jacket pocket and I could've gone inside much earlier <_<