The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

If you are referring to my avatar, it is a Darley beacon from the mid 1920s still (as of a year ago) flashing away in Okeechobee, FL. A friend that was with me when I took the photos said "Just think how many hurricanes that has been through." A single bulb does the duty for all directions; note the extremely sophisticated high-tech controller! <_<

100_0414.jpg

100_0405.jpg

100_0397.jpg

Sounds good to me.

Dang, that's a cool traffic light. 

Also I temporarily changed my avatar due to the D40LF charter, but I'll change it back to the bct one on Sunday.

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

If you are referring to my avatar, it is a Darley beacon from the mid 1920s still (as of a year ago) flashing away in Okeechobee, FL. A friend that was with me when I took the photos said "Just think how many hurricanes that has been through." A single bulb does the duty for all directions; note the extremely sophisticated high-tech controller! <_<

100_0414.jpg

100_0405.jpg

100_0397.jpg

You know which common model that Toronto uses? I think it's Fortran

• 4 weeks later...

Well, since TTC has stopped operating D40LF's, I have decided to stop fanning ttc buses, since there isnt really anything cool to fan. That doesn't mean that I'm not still a transit fan, I just won't go out of my way to fan TTC buses. I will still take pics, but again, i wont really go out of my way for TTC bus pics, i will only take them if i hapoen to be somewhere, and there is some buses passing by. The only exception would be is if some extreme special sightings were happening, or If I know that an LFS happens to be coming on a route I have to take, I might wait for it. And I will still fan other systems, like the Billy Bishop airport shuttle, which I am planning on fanning soon.

6 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Well, since TTC has stopped operating D40LF's, I have decided to stop fanning ttc buses, since there isnt really anything cool to fan. That doesn't mean that I'm not still a transit fan, I just won't go out of my way to fan TTC buses. I will still take pics, but again, i wont really go out of my way for TTC bus pics, i will only take them if i hapoen to be somewhere, and there is some buses passing by. The only exception would be is if some extreme special sightings were happening, or If I know that an LFS happens to be coming on a route I have to take, I might wait for it. And I will still fan other systems, like the Billy Bishop airport shuttle, which I am planning on fanning soon.

I just looked at some TTC vehicle pics on the wiki...man...what is up with the 4 wheel F450 cutaways?

Here's a question I have for you all - in light of Elon Musk's recent plan to colonize Mars, would you yourself personally go to Mars if you had the opportunity, or no?

This is a very fascinating topic to me and I want to get as many opinions as possible.

Hell yeah I would. I was always fascinated by space and actually going there was my childhood dream. Hopefully Elon Musk's project will take us closer to making mass space travel a reality, and increase the chances of getting accepted.

Another, unrelated random thought of mine: if Toronto had the 81-717, it would probably be called 81-416.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two random thoughts:

1. I guess I'm on a quest to ride all the LFLFVs the TTC is getting. So far, I've ridden all the cars that have entered revenue service. It took me 13 years to visit all 19 of the A-15 PCCs. Given Bombardier's delivery, it could take just as long to ride all 204+{?} cars!

2. Speaking of the LFLRVs, I wonder what will happen first: The last of the LFLRVs enter service or Donald Trump is no longer president?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I was in Toronto for a doctor's appointment and on the way back downtown, I took the 505 streetcar. After relying on rubber tired vehicles for my commutes for so many years, this was a really refreshing experience. Everything was so smooth - we weren't hitting every pothole and being bounced around. It was a refreshing experience. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do they still make slot cars? If so, I wonder if someone could adapt an HO scale fishbowl (Rapido) to run on a slot car track; especially if they make a model of "Santa Monica Intercity Bus Lines" fishbowl #2525 in the future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not too sure where would be the right place to post this question, but I guess I'll post it here. Anyways, I'm an avid smoker who probably smokes about a pack a day.  Lately I've been starting to feel the consequences from smoking and I think it's time to quit for good. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only smoker on this forum and if you're a former smoker, what are somethings you did to quit. Any suggestions would be considered as I'm only 20 years old and still have many more years to live. Also I'd like to surprise my girlfriend when she comes back from Japan in January to show her I really care about her as she hates seeing me smoking. Anywho as I said any suggestions would be considered as I really want to quit.

Thank you. 

Buy a brand that you do not like and keep them at home in the freezer.

Also, you have to change your triggers.  What triggers you to have a cigarette? When you drink coffee ??? Try having juice, it won't 'trigger' you. Try keeping your hands busy.  Maybe get a fidget spinner (j/k), or a Rubik's cube, focus on a jigsaw puzzle or crossword puzzle instead of your usual triggers. Also, eat healthy and  hit up the gym / pool. When you start to see improvements in other areas, you will want to ditch the smokes.

23 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Buy a brand that you do not like and keep them at home in the freezer.

Also, you have to change your triggers.  What triggers you to have a cigarette? When you drink coffee ??? Try having juice, it won't 'trigger' you. Try keeping your hands busy.  Maybe get a fidget spinner (j/k), or a Rubik's cube, focus on a jigsaw puzzle or crossword puzzle instead of your usual triggers. Also, eat healthy and  hit up the gym / pool. When you start to see improvements in other areas, you will want to ditch the smokes.

Mind asking why would I keep a pack of smokes I don't really like in the freezer. 

Usually what triggers me is depression but as of lately it's mainly work stress. But I'm dealing with depression at the moment with the medications I'm taking and I'm starting a new job in a couple of weeks that I'm really looking forward too. LOOOOOOOL, I actually bought one of those fidget spinners back when they first came out. After a little while I didn't notice any decrease in my stress level's and it was just all hype. But thanks Captaintrolley for the advice's, much appreciated and I will consider trying out what you just mentioned. 

8 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

Mind asking why would I keep a pack of smokes I don't really like in the freezer. 

Just don't have any smokes on you, (keep them at home - in the freezer is a great spot - just my opinion) and if it is a brand you don't like, you will be less tempted to have one.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, I was with my family headed through a village in the mountains of Slovakia. Near a junction in the road, I saw a man lying by the side of the road - so I told my dad to turn the car around and see if we can do anything to help.

It turned out to be an old man with a bad leg, sprawled out on the curb. We asked him if he'd been drinking or he was hurt, and he wouldn't tell us, but he said he was headed for his house, which was right by the junction. He had a bad leg and a walking stick, but for some reason was trying to crawl there. We tried lifting him up and carrying him, but he didn't arrange himself accordingly at all - as such, we all fell over twice. My dad started to insist that we call the police or something, but the old man insisted that we didn't, and my dad started to get irritable.

As if to answer an unsaid prayer, a police car came along on the road, and my dad flagged them down. The cops got out and we explained the situation to them, so they asked the old man what his situation was and he admitted that he'd been drinking -- that solves the mystery, a bad leg and drinking never go hand in hand!! The cops told him they were headed in the same direction he was, and that they'd give him ride, but he continued to argue and insisted he didn't want to cause trouble; he tried to run off but he ended up stumbling and collapsing again. Eventually, the cops managed to coax him into sitting down in their car, and, also very fortunately, a local village officer arrived on a bike, said that he knew the exact house the man lived at, so off they went.

ever since I came back from Prague, I'd been complaining about a lack of adventure in my life, but this wasn't what I had in mind!! :lol:

• Like 1