The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

9 or 10??? That's 1/4 of the way through the work day already!

.....true, but working my way up lol.

Just realized that I did nothing productive today. Woke up at 11, my mom asked me to go grocery shopping with her, I said I was too lazy. Took an afternoon nap from 3:00 to 8:00, and then went to my friends house to chill and get high at night, and came back home at around 1:30. Maybe that's why my mom yells at me all the time and says I'm useless. :rolleyes: even right now, I'm smoking a joint on my balcony at 2:50 in the morning.

When I was a kid, I used to record all my favorite TV shows on blank VHS tapes. Been nearly 10 years since I last saw them, but I'm currently wondering whatever became of them.

I miss VHS tapes. :P

When you're darting around to get every conceivable angle, a shot from under the bus would really be the icing on the cake.

attachicon.gifbus-run-over.jpg

It also has the bus Operators get very concerned about the safety of you as well as their passengers that are riding on the bus if he has to slam on the brakes to avoid you when you happen to trip and fall in the path of the moving bus. This also puts the operators passengers at risk as they will get tossed around inside the bus while avoiding you....

Is it horrible of me to wish that the prancing/dancing/running foaming fan boys (that ruin our reputation and pictures) that pop up at times will finally get hit and put and end to this dangerous and irritating behaviour once and for all?

No offence, and I don't mean for you or anyone to take this personally, but since I am one of those "fan boys" you're referring to as well as the fact that I am close friends with others of these type of "fan boys", I am just going to throw in my two cents.

I have to say, I find this post quite offensive. Myself and all other transit fans like that are young, our minds still tender with lots more to learn, and our passions for transit burn brighter than most would think. I'm young and I can't change that, whenever us younger fan boys get the chance to photograph a rare bus or any rare transit sighting in general, we ARE going to get overly excited and get 3000 photos from every angle. We really can't help it. It's just who we are, as fresh and yet developing members of this community. Besides, if it weren't for us, the community would eventually die as the older, more mature fans leave the hobby. When that happens, who else is there to take their place and keep the hobby and community alive, other than us obnoxious younger kids? I understand that we annoy many of the older fans (I know personally as I have been on some charters in the past and I know I have annoyed some with me and my friends' attitude), but you guys just have to live with us whether you like it or not. And not to mention, not all of us teenagers are intentionally obnoxious and worthless imbeciles that "ruin reputations". I for one, while I may be naturally annoying, continuously try to be as contributing and valuable of a member of the community as I can. I never try to ruin anyone's reputation. I continuously try my hardest to be an asset of this board, as I have a great amount of respect for the CPTDB and everyone on it. I have a lifelong raging passion for transit that I inherited from my dad, which I can't get rid of, so I really do try my best despite being an obnoxious teenager that has to fall under the "great stereotype". I'm just young and I have lots to learn and develop still, and I am a very eager and loyal member of this board for that reason, to learn and develop so I can eventually become "one of you guys". And even so, I still have to see posts like this, referring to transit fans like myself, saying we should "Get hit to put an end to this dangerous and irritating behaviour", which basically means you hope we suffer serious injury or death just because we are annoying, which is quite disheartening if I do say so myself. That is why I for one find this post offensive and I am taking it seriously. Just my two cents, again I don't mean to come on too strong and don't take any of this personally, I'm just saying.

Dude...don't take every post seriously.

Myself and all other transit fans like that are young, our minds still tender with lots more to learn, and our passions for transit burn brighter than most would think.

Fair enough.

I'm young and I can't change that, whenever us younger fan boys get the chance to photograph a rare bus or any rare transit sighting in general, we ARE going to get overly excited and get 3000 photos from every angle.

There's a difference between "overly excited and get 3000 photos from every angle" and "screaming your lungs out while being overly excited and get 3000 photos from every angle and blocking everyone else's way of taking photos from 'every angle'".

We're talking about the latter. From that one charter I've been on with you and snooping around the Calgary section, I don't think you're in the latter list.

We really can't help it. It's just who we are, as fresh and yet developing members of this community. Besides, if it weren't for us, the community would eventually die as the older, more mature fans leave the hobby. When that happens, who else is there to take their place and keep the hobby and community alive, other than us obnoxious younger kids?

I'm quite sure there are many of the more experienced members in Calgary who know the ropes and have led the more younger members on how to behave in the transitfan community. I know for the GTA there's definitely members who were once considered bottom of the barrel (myself included) who have highly matured and are highly respected among the whole community, and all it takes is education, basic common sense, and proper etiquette. Bonus points if you make friends with transit personnel and they offer some inside connections.

I understand that we annoy many of the older fans (I know personally as I have been on some charters in the past and I know I have annoyed some with me and my friends' attitude), but you guys just have to live with us whether you like it or not.

And that's where you younger ones have to change. We can't just "live with you guys", it's you guys that have to learn how to be a mature citizen. If the previous generation from me (I'm almost 23) had to "live with me" when I was learning and the generation before that, nobody would have taken our hobby with seriousness and respect.

And not to mention, not all of us teenagers are intentionally obnoxious and worthless imbeciles that "ruin reputations". I for one, while I may be naturally annoying, continuously try to be as contributing and valuable of a member of the community as I can. I never try to ruin anyone's reputation. I continuously try my hardest to be an asset of this board, as I have a great amount of respect for the CPTDB and everyone on it.

We respect and thank you for that, and that honestly is the first step into becoming more mature as a transit enthusiast.

I have a lifelong raging passion for transit that I inherited from my dad, which I can't get rid of, so I really do try my best despite being an obnoxious teenager that has to fall under the "great stereotype".

Fair enough.

Tip: If you really do have a lifelong raging passion for transit, learn the ropes of the planning side of transit. It'll make you appreciate transit even more.

I'm just young and I have lots to learn and develop still, and I am a very eager and loyal member of this board for that reason, to learn and develop so I can eventually become "one of you guys".

Please don't use "one of you guys". It makes us sound elitist, and that is certainly not our intention. Just say "learn and develop so I can be more mature and contribute positively in the community".

And even so, I still have to see posts like this, referring to transit fans like myself, saying we should "Get hit to put an end to this dangerous and irritating behaviour", which basically means you hope we suffer serious injury or death just because we are annoying, which is quite disheartening if I do say so myself.

Again, if you're taking every post that seriously you spend too much time on the internet. You can't seriously think any one of us would wish death upon anyone, especially those in the transitfan community. If you know you're not one of those people then ignore it. If you know you are then act better. It's that simple. We never singled anyone out.

That is why I for one find this post offensive and I am taking it seriously.

If you think you fall into the group mentioned, again please act better. I hope you're taking it seriously in terms of a step towards maturity, not as in "I'm gonna report you".

And with that, it's way past my bedtime.

Good points and again, I apologize if I came on too strong in my post. The reason being is because, whether I am part of the group mentioned or not, I am close friends with some that are (I won't name names), so I was also speaking on behalf of them in my post rather than just for myself.

Regarding these two points:

I'm quite sure there are many of the more experienced members in Calgary who know the ropes and have led the more younger members on how to behave in the transitfan community. I know for the GTA there's definitely members who were once considered bottom of the barrel (myself included) who have highly matured and are highly respected among the whole community, and all it takes is education, basic common sense, and proper etiquette. Bonus points if you make friends with transit personnel and they offer some inside connections.

And that's where you younger ones have to change. We can't just "live with you guys", it's you guys that have to learn how to be a mature citizen. If the previous generation from me (I'm almost 23) had to "live with me" when I was learning and the generation before that, nobody would have taken our hobby with seriousness and respect.

That's what I was referring to in the "become one of you guys" part of my post, just that I forgot to mention it clearly enough. I understand that it's closely tied to age, and the obnoxiousness doesn't last forever. The point I was trying to make apparent was that some more respect would be nice to us younger members who are in this age group and naturally change over time (i.e. Change with constructive criticism rather than the harshness displayed by some members on here towards members of my age group), such as myself which I continuously try to develop into a better member as I mentioned and I'm sure all the other teenagers on here do too.

But I do hope everyone else can realize that while us teenagers may be annoying at times, it takes time for us to mature and doesn't happen overnight and we do indeed put effort in, as I said. But until that happens, that's where my "live with us whether you like it or not" statement comes into use.

I'm going to chime in a bit here. There is something about getting photos, but more importantly there is getting photos safely. If you're darting around and not paying attention you become a hazard to all. I understand your enthusiasm, but maybe you need to tone it down a bit as you may be putting others in harms way. Darting around buses that are moving to "get that shot' not only puts you at risk, but also the operator, their passengers, and others on the road.

We already have a bad reputation with some operators that don't like their pictures taken. Please don't give them another reason not to like us and make our lives grief. Be respectful of the large vehicles and take your pictures safely. Most of you have decent cameras with telephoto lenses. There isn't a need to be running infront of moving vehicles.

Also thinking back to a certain Calgary charter there was an opportunity for us to be inside the fence on transit property. This is a big risk for them to take letting us in there. What happens if someone gets hurt in there? We are on their property and they are then liable for that. Running around like crazy trying to grab shots (especially while buses are being shuffled around for a photo lineup) isn't necessarily the safest thing in the world.