2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

Having the day off... and it being the first weekday of the fall sign up... I headed out for the morning rush hour.

All 3 tents appear to be in use at Ferrier. The northern most tent was housing D40LF's again. Maybe because of the lack of ventilation, the doors were still open when I was heading home at 10:00.

A lot of trolleys out. #111 seemed to be having some issues at the 95 St. crossing. The back of the bus was hanging over the southbound track. A train had to stop until the bus moved on. Not sure if the bus was stuck on an insulator, and just rolled off.

Among the GM's I spotted out, #301. 542 was also out, on a route out of Clareview.

The XL-II's are back on transit routes for Strathcona County Transit.

Having the day off... and it being the first weekday of the fall sign up... I headed out for the morning rush hour.

All 3 tents appear to be in use at Ferrier. The northern most tent was housing D40LF's again. Maybe because of the lack of ventilation, the doors were still open when I was heading home at 10:00.

A lot of trolleys out. #111 seemed to be having some issues at the 95 St. crossing. The back of the bus was hanging over the southbound track. A train had to stop until the bus moved on. Not sure if the bus was stuck on an insulator, and just rolled off.

Among the GM's I spotted out, #301. 542 was also out, on a route out of Clareview.

The XL-II's are back on transit routes for Strathcona County Transit.

shoulda jumped out and offered him a push. i know bill on 148 this morning lost his poles around the crossing and again just as he reached my place. ill show pic of a 1 poled trolleybus later. lol. he says its his retrievers. i say its 2 weeks of vacation and the crossing is crazy.

Thursday Part II

1021 was on training. Boy are people stupid.

Train pulls in, "Training Car" on destination sign.

Train makes two announcements... along the lines of "This train is out of service. This is a training car".

Yet, people still try to board.

Strathcona #882 exists. It is another ex Santa Monica Classic. This one is equipped with an orange LED sign.

Only caught a brief glimps of the bus, so no pics yet.

Happened to see 883 today and it is still running around with no destination sign.

On my daily trek Downtown in the morning before work, I spotted a 9 Southgate trolley at 06:35. It was right behind the 133 Parkallen at 101st and McDonald Drive. Usually the trolley behind the 133 is Not In Service.

Technically it is in service since all trolleys operate in service when deadheading.

I guess it all depends upon the driver.

On that note...

The "E9" was the "X9" today.

Was riding 1011 and the announcements don't work. Just the door chimes worked.

Control was calling any route 9 that was a trolley just before Martin left.

Turned out it was a Route 133 at 109 Street and 65 Avenue. It's line volt indicator was on. Apparently nothing out of the ordinary, but then later on it was learned that Epcor was on the scene to repair some damage to a hanger in that vicinity. I didn't get the whole scoop.

The new EPCOR line truck was out inspecting wire on 101 St today.

Strathcona #1008 was spotted. I had heard two more Prevost's were due to come, so it would seem they are here.

623 was changed off for 128. They "trolleyized"

The line truck was out today (Friday) too, just east of the Cromdale Loop. They were turning on (putting the knife switches in the up position) circuit breakers on the SOUTH side of 115 Avenue just west of 80 Street.

The line truck was out today (Friday) too, just east of the Cromdale Loop. They were turning on (putting the knife switches in the up position) circuit breakers on the SOUTH side of 115 Avenue just west of 80 Street.

That means they turned the power back on to Borden Park/Highlands. Finally we can stop running diesels on the Route 2.

I just dont get it. I keep getting told they only turn this area on if needed. Why would they suddenly need it. However what i believe is they always have this area on!

Why would you turn lines on in an area that wasn't used anyways...

makes no sense to me these wierd decisions.. ugh.

I just dont get it. I keep getting told they only turn this area on if needed. Why would they suddenly need it. However what i believe is they always have this area on!

That sounds kinda contradictory :lol:

All wire should be used ;)

• Board Admin

1653-1657hrs - Race takeaway Rt 120 - bus 4261

Operator is reporting lost half a litre of fuel, leaking from about 1.5ft in front of rear wheel

Control makes sure that it is away from manhole covers, and suggests to move the bus a few feet forward and see if that stops the leak of fuel

Operator says it didn't help and was going to drop off passengers at Stadium and then call back

Unless my eyes are failing me, it looks like 4522 has a curb feeler installed behind the front door, in front of the front tire.

Seen them on St Albert and Scona units before, but not ETS or anywhere else.

A few 2006 (i.e. 2005) ETS buses have them. The reason? The rear axle is different and the rear wheels stick out a little more. Therefore if you line your front wheels up with the curb the rear wheels go over it.

Unit 362 was on the nickel tonight. I like this bus because it is a 75 gmc and one of a few that still have the ole hand brake!

no trolleys out today. no reason why either. i traveled the whole nickel and nothing i could see

Supposedly some *work* at 93 Street & 118 Avenue, a sign installation on a building on 101 Street beween Jasper Avenue and 104 Avenue (probably Ed. Center), and some work at Groat Road and 118 Avenue (they are digging around a manhole). The Route 5 may return to trolley tomorrow, the Route 3 is supposd to stay diesel on Sunday. Poor Shaun, he will have to endure a diesel on Sunday. UGH.

1653-1657hrs - Race takeaway Rt 120 - bus 4261

Operator is reporting lost half a litre of fuel, leaking from about 1.5ft in front of rear wheel

Control makes sure that it is away from manhole covers, and suggests to move the bus a few feet forward and see if that stops the leak of fuel

Operator says it didn't help and was going to drop off passengers at Stadium and then call back

There was another fuel leak incident today also, I can't remember the details.

A few 2006 (i.e. 2005) ETS buses have them. The reason? The rear axle is different and the rear wheels stick out a little more. Therefore if you line your front wheels up with the curb the rear wheels go over it.

Also there have been incidents of the rear wheels rubbing against the curbs (because of the rear axle being different) causing the rubber to wear thin and eventually the tire(s) blow. :lol:

Unless my eyes are failing me, it looks like 4522 has a curb feeler installed behind the front door, in front of the front tire.

Seen them on St Albert and Scona units before, but not ETS or anywhere else.

I have noticed a few buses with them in the ETS fleet. I belive mainly the 2005's?

The policy, I have been told, is that everything is always energized, unless for certain reasons the power needs to be off.

After all... ETS is paying for it. Might as well have it ready in case it is needed... or some wayward trolley fans go joy riding on a chartered bus.

I have noticed a few buses with them in the ETS fleet. I belive mainly the 2005's?

The policy, I have been told, is that everything is always energized, unless for certain reasons the power needs to be off.

After all... ETS is paying for it. Might as well have it ready in case it is needed... or some wayward trolley fans go joy riding on a chartered bus.

Hmm i wonder if that ever happens.. lol

www.trolleybus.ca shows that it happened at least once fairly recently lol

Went for grocery shopping this afternoon, noticed there was no trolley running any routes today, didn't take very long to spot this: I know this apparatus is used to deenergize the overhead, but what is it called, and how does it achieve its purpose.

It's not exactly used to deenergize the overhead... but rather to prevent the overhead from being energized accidentaly.

All it does is create a short circuit should power be turned back on. This will then trip the breaker.

My nickname for it is a "parasite".