2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

I talked to a lady at the pool who is a writer for the Edmonton Journal. The Edmonton Journal is downsizing. All their copy editing will be done in Hamilton. So most if not all the local copy editors have been 'edited'. BTW, the writers are not called writers anymore.....they are.... (ready for this ?) 'Content Providers'. :P I dropped my soap when I heard that.

If it keeps people from moving here from Ontario it's a check in the box for me.

He probably just needed the New Years Eve Pay.

I'll have to mention it next time he phones. IF I REMEMBER. Something else I was going to ask him....Oh yeah, a letter we got from work with our Centennial Calendar mentions a 'Staff Homecoming Event' in the spring. Whatever that entails, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Digging a bunch of old geezers out of retirement. Should be good for a laugh. Hey Denny, ya goin' to that ?

I'll try to remember to bring that letter to the next meeting, if I remember to go to it. :P

Me go to that? I'd rather get a tattoo on my eyeball.

So I take it you are collecting them all Martin? I think the only ones I will get are the Day Pass, and the summer months. U-Pass covers the rest.

Well, I collect the bus passes anyways. Although, I will strongly consider not collecting any bus passes if they contain the same images used in the calendar. :P

I have an employee pass now as well from the year I was born thanks to dennis37

Like I said, I can understand if they want to dieselise route 3, as crowd control at Churchill Square may require that 102 Ave be closed, and the buses may need to be on detour with little notice.

Route 5 (and 7, for that matter) should be trolleys plain and simple, as they stay a good long block or two away from Churchill Square.

Could this be an EPCOR thing? Perhaps they're worried if there's a wire break, it may be an issue to get a crew out? Seeing as it's a holiday and all..

WELL......A friend of mine that works closely with service / maintence actually explained it to me this way;

"It is Control who orders the dieselization for NYE. For once, I actually agree with their reasons. They have enough to deal with in terms of crowd control, detours, barricades and so forth. So if a trolley needs a c/o say at 0005 hrs and there are wild crowds and people milling about on the road, it would be a service man's worst nightmare to try to navigate a trolley downtown through all that mess. I know I wouldn't want to do it. And then you may need to get a tow truck to the site."

WELL......A friend of mine that works closely with service / maintence actually explained it to me this way; "It is Control who orders the dieselization for NYE. For once, I actually agree with their reasons. They have enough to deal with in terms of crowd control, detours, barricades and so forth. So if a trolley needs a c/o say at 0005 hrs and there are wild crowds and people milling about on the road, it would be a service man's worst nightmare to try to navigate a trolley downtown through all that mess. I know I wouldn't want to do it. And then you may need to get a tow truck to the site."

But, that doesn't explain why you change over135 that's going to be back into the garage before everything starts, and don't put anything out on the 133's, or other peak hour only runs.

But, that doesn't explain why you change over135 that's going to be back into the garage before everything starts, and don't put anything out on the 133's, or other peak hour only runs.

I know, I know...I was just providing input to the best of my ability. I don't see you sticking your neck out and asking around.

I know, I know...I was just providing input to the best of my ability. I don't see you sticking your neck out and asking around.

That would involve directly contacting transit. I'll wait until it's really need for something so as not harass transit everytime something stupid happens on the trolleybus/ bus system. I'm probably already red flagged as it is.

That would involve directly contacting transit. I'll wait until it's really need for something so as not harass transit everytime something stupid happens on the trolleybus/ bus system. I'm probably already red flagged as it is.

You are red-flagged, and I am the entire color guard.

Come on. It's the same as any other bus breaking down.

That's what I said, but the person I spoke with did make some valid points about driving a trolley into downtown for a c/o in the middle of the festivities. But it SHOULD be no different than any other bus breaking down and needing a c/o.

Which is why I said the 3 (which goes right next to the festivities) should be dieselised, but the 5 shouldn't.

The solution would be if a trolley needs a c/o downtown, then bring out a diesel, but if it needs a c/o at the end of the line, or can limp to somewhere away from downtown, then give it a trolley.

That's what I said, but the person I spoke with did make some valid points about driving a trolley into downtown for a c/o in the middle of the festivities. But it SHOULD be no different than any other bus breaking down and needing a c/o.

Which is why I said the 3 (which goes right next to the festivities) should be dieselised, but the 5 shouldn't.

The solution would be if a trolley needs a c/o downtown, then bring out a diesel, but if it needs a c/o at the end of the line, or can limp to somewhere away from downtown, then give it a trolley.

But that makes sense, and the people running the show aren't that bright sometimes.

There comes a time when one must chose between what is right and what is easy. ETS chooses the latter unfortunately.

On at least one occasion several years ago, trolleys were out for the free overnight service on New Year's Eve. There was an article in the Journal, with a picture, about Don driving a trolley on the route 9 overnight service.

I just spoke to Don about that, and he says "No, it wasn't him, he cannot take the credit for this".