Good jobs I should consider

Hybrid0920

Hey everyone,

I'm working at Tim Hortons right now and am looking for a better paying job that doesn't have soo much Bullsh*t. I've had quite the sh*t experience on new years day. I was on the schedule for 7:30am, was told not to start until 8am, because it was slow. I started at 8, got sent home at 9am. Was called back at 11am and needed me back for 3pm-11pm shift, I said yes ONLY if I can work 2pm-10pm instead, because I worked at 6am the next morning. The manager said it was okay. So I arrive at 2pm, was told not to start until 3 because it is slow again. So I said okay and waited the hour. When 3pm finally came, I was told I "wasn't needed" and could go home. So I called the labour board and was "legally" paid TIME and A HALF because it was New Years day, for three hours for each shift I arrived at, plus the hour I worked.

So I just want a nice liist of good paying recommended jobs that I can work at. For the info, I'm in Gr. 12, have no drivers license yet, have a good record, blah blah, (hehe).

Thanks to whoever helps me!

P.S near Hamilton or in Hamilton is a Bonus. :)

Ok. I always heard jobs with a union are sh*t, and don't you have to pay for union?

Does anyone recomend Wal Mart?

Quite the contrary about unionized jobs.. They are typically well paying, and some places even provide drug/dental/optical benefits, even for part timers. Sure you pay union dues, but the dues paid are not considered "taxable". So they reduce your "net" income at tax time. People are treated fairly (in MOST cases) and seniority plays a big role, depending on where you work. When a full time opportunity comes up, it's given to the "most senior" person who applied for the position, so there aren't any "favourites" picked for a full time job. There are many perks to a unionized environment, but there are some cases where the union can be a hindrance to a business. Picture this, you are working your ass off, meanwhile "Joe Schmuck" comes into work, sips on his coffee for 2 hours, chatting up a storm with whomever he comes into contact with. It obviously can get irritating... Some unions are stronger than others, and are willing to fight for your rights. There are also crap unions where all they do is give in to the company, and basically sell out the workers. From all my experience working in a unionized environment, I'm glad they are there, as useless as they can be at times. I'm paid a great wage, great benefits, and I am protected from "evil management".. This has been my experience. Some people have had the complete opposite happen to them.

I would personally not recommend working for Wal-Mart. If you think your Timmy's is bad... I've heard so many horror stories out of that place over the years, it really does make me sick. They are your typical "extremely evil corporation." I know some people who do love working there, but stories like that are far and few between.

In closing, I do wish you luck in your search for a better part time job. I hope that I have given you some good feedback that can be used. I'm sorry if I couldn't have been more helpful.

I would personally not recommend working for Wal-Mart. If you think your Timmy's is bad... I've heard so many horror stories out of that place over the years, it really does make me sick. They are your typical "extremely evil corporation." I know some people who do love working there, but stories like that are far and few between.

Well said. I've also heard too many Wal-Mart Horror Stories to recommend them :D

Longo's Fairview (the westernmost Longo's location). I work at one of the Mississauga stores and despite the fact that it does not pay terribly well, I've hung in there for almost 6 years now through high school and university not necessarily because I needed to, but because it felt like a family store (especially the first four years). I would not recommend it as a career, but for somebody your age, it's certainly an option.

Right now I work in a corner store, it's a good job though you get the occasional jacka&% but most people are generally friendly. Though getting a job in a corner store is hard because most of them are family ran and if you work in a bad part of town (which mines is not in luckily) then you can expect more trouble. But I get to deal with stuff that the average employee doesn't. But like I mentioned earlier, getting a job like this is hard to come by, I got it by pure luck.

Also the good thing is my store is not a chain of "7-elevens" or anything like that since my boss owns it 100%, so if I screw up, as long as I let her know it's alright. Also since we close right at 10 PM every single night, there is always a rush, so because of this we can't stay in the store long after we close, so we don't even count the money to make sure everything balances up before we leave, we just count the bills and that's it. The rest is done in the morning. So my close down takes at tops like 3 minutes.

Ok. I always heard jobs with a union are sh*t, and don't you have to pay for union?

Yes you do pay union dues... that's where the money for the benefits comes from. With that said, unionized places often pay more and are more fair in the employment aspect.

Yes you do pay union dues... that's where the money for the benefits comes from.

I'd love to see a Union that pays for your benefits. Your employer and yourself pay for your benefits through what ever agreement you come to when negotiating your works collective agreement ... NOT the Union.

Union dues go directly to the Union and the Union uses that money for whatever they need if for (their own salaries, training for union members, travel costs, arbitration costs, buildings, etc.). You pretty well have no say in what happens with that money.

Union jobs aren't all sunshine and glory. Yes, they pay better most of the times, yes, you do have better benifits most of the times, yes, you do have more job security most of the times .... BUT .... a union enviornment can actually create a very hostile environment amongst workers and make the job even more unpleasant than your current job.

As far as the Union dues you have to pay, that just usually comes straight off your paycheck as a deduction. It all depends on the Union you're with, I pay about $50-$60 a month on average. I've been in Unions where we actually ended up with less money at the end of the month because of dues and pay cuts after we brougt the Union in. So its not all rosey as Pro-Union folks like to campaign.

Finding a good job for a great company isn't easy. Most places of employment will always have silly rules, crap pay, clueless supervisor, lazy employees, people you just don't like working with, jobs you don't like doing ... but its all part of your work experience as you get older and go thorugh life.

Personally, if I were you, I'd try to figure out what you like to do (food, retail, warehouse, etc.) and try to find a business thats hiring that isn't a franchise, they tend to be much more realistic and actually treat you respectiviley.

Franchises always have rules and procedures that were dreamt up by someone standing by the watercooler in an office building somewhere and is expected to work in all locations (which it doesn't in the real world). Then you have a supervisor/manager that has no clue what the freak they're doing and if times get tough they disappear to the back for a smoke and God forbid you put on the tomato before the lettue ... lol! Anyways, my point is non-franchise workplaces are usually more enjoyable because they are more like a family and are much more flexiable.

And if you are trying to get away from food, hospitality, retail, working with the public....try out some printing shops. Again, there are good ones and bad ones, family-run, franchise, union, non union, the whole gamut. The pay can be decent too. Generally pays more than retail / hospitality. Usually they will start you in bindery unless you've had printing experience before. It's a fun field to get into where you don't need any post secondary diplomas, or a drivers license (unless you want to be a delivery driver)

Another question you may want to ask yourself ... What is it you'd like to do (career wise) later in life? If there is a certain industry you'd like to get in try to find a job thats close to that field (maybe even for the company you would like to work for). For example, if you want to be a pilot for WestJet, see if you can get on at the airport doing some running around there. If you want to be a bus driver, see if you can get on with the company washing/cleaning buses, etc.

Not only does it show the company you'd like to work for later that you've shown interest, you can learn valuable information about that field which can be very beneficial to you further down the road.

Another question you may want to ask yourself ... What is it you'd like to do (career wise) later in life? If there is a certain industry you'd like to get in try to find a job thats close to that field (maybe even for the company you would like to work for). For example, if you want to be a pilot for WestJet, see if you can get on at the airport doing some running around there. If you want to be a bus driver, see if you can get on with the company washing/cleaning buses, etc.

Not only does it show the company you'd like to work for later that you've shown interest, you can learn valuable information about that field which can be very beneficial to you further down the road.

Thank you to everyone about the Union lessons. It sounds like good or bad can happen.

9924, Thanks that also made me think. I've wanted to be a police officer, and I worked in the police station when I was 15 (almost 3 summers ago) for a summer job that paid well. 10.70 an hour. But I also want to be a bus driver. Last year I brought a resume up to the HSR garage to wash buses or do yard maintanance, I was told to listen to job postings via newspaper. I heard nothing. So ill make a statement in the HSR thread if they are hiring maintenance crews. I would make those buses SHINY. ;):)

Thanks, goodnight everyone.

Thank you to everyone about the Union lessons. It sounds like good or bad can happen.

9924, Thanks that also made me think. I've wanted to be a police officer, and I worked in the police station when I was 15 (almost 3 summers ago) for a summer job that paid well. 10.70 an hour. But I also want to be a bus driver. Last year I brought a resume up to the HSR garage to wash buses or do yard maintanance, I was told to listen to job postings via newspaper. I heard nothing. So ill make a statement in the HSR thread if they are hiring maintenance crews. I would make those buses SHINY. ;):)

Thanks, goodnight everyone.

HSR only hires full time.

The only suggestion I can think of is working in a city such as parks and recreations for summer time, you better check as they will close the application soon.

Jobs are not with the union, jobs are unionized and trust me, Unions would not allow that crap. You do have to pay into a union but its not that much.

I know this because i am a Shop Steward in our union.

Yes you do pay union dues... that's where the money for the benefits comes from. With that said, unionized places often pay more and are more fair in the employment aspect.

Um benefits are payed by you and your employer. not by the union.

Guys, prove me wrong but I think that you can have both a good or a bad job with or without a union. It all comes down to you, what you enjoy, what bothers you, the pay you feel comfortable getting, benefits, etc. Don't just go for a job whether it's simply "union" or "non-union" (unless of course you feel very strongly in that way).

"looking for a better paying job that doesn't have soo much Bullsh*t"

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yup ... there's no perfect job out there, and you'll always find something or someone you dislike at work.

Jobs are not with the union, jobs are unionized and trust me, Unions would not allow that crap. You do have to pay into a union but its not that much.

Unions may not allow one type of crap in the workplace but they can bring another form of crap into the workplace. I've personally seen a Union come into a workplace and completely destroy the friendships, work morale, productivity and end up costing half the workforce their jobs. Which is why I said early, its not all sunshine and glory with Unions .... they can offer lots of pluses but its the cons (and there are many) you have to be very weary of.

I know this because i am a Shop Steward in our union.

As am I am and which is one of the reasons I am very cautious in promoting any Union.

Guys, prove me wrong but I think that you can have both a good or a bad job with or without a union. It all comes down to you, what you enjoy, what bothers you, the pay you feel comfortable getting, benefits, etc. Don't just go for a job whether it's simply "union" or "non-union" (unless of course you feel very strongly in that way).

No one can prove you wrong because you can't ... you're exactly right. There are plenty of great jobs out their with or without Unions and they aren't that hard to find. And it does come down to the individual, what makes you happy, what do you want to do, etc.

Absolutely, there is way more to a job than it being unionized or not. That shouldn't even be a decision-making factor in my opinion.

If I was working, I just keep my nose clean.

This may also depending what individual who gets mistreated.

I work for Zehrs (Loblaws). It is unionized. Nobody gets in trouble for anything. Union does have it's ups and downs.

And thats one of the beefs I have with Unions ... their priority is to fight for everyones job, so person "A" can do a half ass job and have just as much protection as perosn "B" who actually makes an effort of doing their job. Its great that a Union is there if you need them, but it can most definetly be a problem sometimes too.