LYNX (Central Florida Regional Transit Authority)

MVTArider

All of the proterras haven’t ran in a couple of months and some of them last seen last month. I feel like it was a waste of money if they end up getting rid of them 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BrownD said:

All of the proterras haven’t ran in a couple of months and some of them last seen last month. I feel like it was a waste of money if they end up getting rid of them 🤷🏾‍♂️

It may be a waste yes, but I strongly feel the ultimate fate of the buses will rest with whether the City of Orlando continues to financially support LYMMO.

• Sad 1

I seen 257-416 sitting next to the Retired NABI’s and also next to 228-616…not sure what happened with it, but I’m pretty sure it just needs maintenance…I’m not sure if I mentioned this but 237-416 has over 500,000 miles now…

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 12:59 PM, BrownD said:

Doesn't surprise me and it reminds me of another bus type that didn't do too well in Florida. I bet no one here knows at one time, Lynx use to have Orion II buses, that they purchased back in 1993. They had 12 of them. The buses were operated out in the Altamonte Mall area as far as I know. I have no idea what routes they were assigned too exactly.

I can say this, my one time ever seeing them, they were parked at the South Street garage in 1996 or 1997, along with a bunch of Lynx's other buses at the time. I knew even as a kid, they ran elsewhere, because I've never seen them on any other routes. I would later find out (like 12 years ago) they retired in 1998 and were sold to TANK in Kentucky, so they didn't last too long in Orlando. I have a feeling the Proterras may end up being the next Orion IIs with the way things are going. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Big CJ said:

Doesn't surprise me and it reminds me of another bus type that didn't do too well in Florida. I bet no one here knows at one time, Lynx use to have Orion II buses, that they purchased back in 1993. They had 12 of them. The buses were operated out in the Altamonte Mall area as far as I know. I have no idea what routes they were assigned too exactly.

I can say this, my one time ever seeing them, they were parked at the South Street garage in 1996 or 1997, along with a bunch of Lynx's other buses at the time. I knew even as a kid, they ran elsewhere, because I've never seen them on any other routes. I would later find out (like 12 years ago) they retired in 1998 and were sold to TANK in Kentucky, so they didn't last too long in Orlando. I have a feeling the Proterras may end up being the next Orion IIs with the way things are going. 

smh. They should’ve never bought those things man. What a waste of money 🤦🏾‍♂️

• Sad 1

I don't think anyone could have foreseen the bankruptcy of Proterra, but I feel that the quality of manufacturing probably took a hit right before Covid & things got worse thereafter.

As I've mentioned earlier, everything regarding LYNX's Proterras will hinge on whether the city of Orlando continues to fund LYMMO. If the trial that the CRA is planning to do involving the golf cart shuttles is successful, the city will likely end up pulling the plug on funding LYMMO, which would likely prompt LYNX to eat the losses and retire the Proterras early.

If the trial with the Gillig EV is a success, they may wind up ordering more of those, but I can also see them possibly doing a trial with the Gillig HFCV once that becomes available.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, HR2012TPA said:

I don't think anyone could have foreseen the bankruptcy of Proterra, but I feel that the quality of manufacturing probably took a hit right before Covid & things got worse thereafter.

As I've mentioned earlier, everything regarding LYNX's Proterras will hinge on whether the city of Orlando continues to fund LYMMO. If the trial that the CRA is planning to do involving the golf cart shuttles is successful, the city will likely end up pulling the plug on funding LYMMO, which would likely prompt LYNX to eat the losses and retire the Proterras early.

If the trial with the Gillig EV is a success, they may wind up ordering more of those, but I can also see them possibly doing a trial with the Gillig HFCV once that becomes available.

The bus industry is tough to be in, so I can understand that. As for Gillig EVs, it's likeI said. Some routes can run those buses, but Lynx's upper management better not grow a brain, and assume those buses can be on the road for over 20 or more hours per day. Otherwise they'll want to purchase tow trucks to go with those buses. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Big CJ said:

The bus industry is tough to be in, so I can understand that. As for Gillig EVs, it's likeI said. Some routes can run those buses, but Lynx's upper management better not grow a brain, and assume those buses can be on the road for over 20 or more hours per day. Otherwise they'll want to purchase tow trucks to go with those buses. 

Yep!

I've always seen a major trouble with BE's running long-winded routes for extended periods unless there's proper charging infrastructure on the corridor.

• Sad 1