LYNX (Central Florida Regional Transit Authority)

MVTArider

Thnaks for posting that! I haven't been following the happenings at LYNX too much lately, are they transitioning their fleet towards CNG? I wonder if they are if perhaps some XN40 or BRTPlus CNG might make their way in eventually.

You may want to check out the Flickr group. A lot is being planned, proposed, or being implemented. Like this for example.

http://fw.to/CHthfuL?fb_ref=Default

Just to throw this out there, motorcoaches are on the discussion for FY2016. This would make sense, since Lynx extended it's contract with Mears this year into next year. Lynx has also been testing various motorcoaches, recently it's testing a Temsa TS45. Also, 135 is back in service. Parts from 137 were used to bring 135 back to life. Presently, 3 of the D60s are now retired or out of service.

I've discovered that several GM Engineering buses were sold to Gray Line after they were finished being used. Probably in 1982 was when they were sold. Then they were sold again from Gray Line to Lynx sometime in 1984 I believe.

Gray Line's RTS bought new were all 40ft buses with a single door and in suburban configuration. Seven GM Engineering buses were sold, one went to Disney Transport and became 2744. The others to Gray Line. These buses were built in 1980-1981.

• 1 month later...

Lynx is about to auction off several buses. Both D60s, several Phantoms, and a 30ft BRT that was wrecked earlier this year. The auction will take place in October. I expect the D60s to have second lives, cause almost $30K in New Flyer parts are also being sold in this auction.

• 2 weeks later...

The vent behind the last passenger window is a bit different from most other Gillig buses. Other than that, they look like the typical Lynx bus. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe they're using the 320hp version of the ISLG engine? That's what I can assume for the need for a bigger vent. If that's the case, I wouldn't be shocked if they used B500R for the transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

^

I'm pretty sure it is a demo, since the contract was awarded only last July. It usually takes much longer for bus manufacturers to produce and deliver buses.

It probably is. I guess they're trying to see how these buses will perform. Out of curiosity, how long does it take New Flyer to build and deliver buses on average?

• 4 weeks later...

The CNG buses have been numbered. So far, the highest number on these buses is 202-415. Meaning they go from 191-415-202-415 at the moment. There are several more buses on the property that have not been accounted for, so that could change as more information comes in. 202-415 is all orange by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen pictures of the following, 192-415, 198-415, 202-415, 205-415, and the highest number was 212-415. This means there are 25 CNG Gilligs on the property. Another 25 more CNGs being ordered directly from Gillig and not Neopetro.

The 25 replacement buses will replace most or all of the remaining Phantoms (there are 30 Phantoms left) and possibly some of the older BRTs could be replaced, the ones not rehabbed.

• 2 weeks later...

I can now confirm rehabbed buses are not only getting a new paint job, but are also getting their seats re-clothed to look like the ones found on the 2012-2015 Gilligs. So far, 575, 602-603, 609, 617, 623, 642, 802, 814 have all been repainted. I've also got confirmation that the suburbans are also getting their seats re-clothed too, so that means they will stick around for a while too.

• 1 month later...

I thought the Alabama plant is only building 40ft buses only if not than they are on the move thanks. any possible Fleet Numbers

Not sure if they're being built in Alabama. I presume they would be, since Alabama isn't far away from Florida and it would be speed up delivery time for anyone ordering those buses in this state. As for fleet numbers. possibly 226-615-235-615. It also depends on when the 25 replacement buses arrive, which could effect that. So it's either those numbers or 246-615-255-615.

A total of 60 CNG Gilligs have entered service in the last two weeks. There has been few sightings of Phantoms in service, so retirement is pretty much nearing for those buses, which will close out the long chapter in high floor buses in Orlando, since 1932.