1991/1992/1995 Translink D40 Spottings

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

PoCo just has the 95 D40`s N3260, N3263, P3269, P3273 and P3278.

Those are all C40s with the Series50, right?

If so, it's a sad day. So is that it for the D40 in the Vancouver?

The wiki still shows 3001-3021 in service, but I'm guessing you won't find those on the street either....

Those are all C40s with the Series50, right?

If so, it's a sad day. So is that it for the D40 in the Vancouver?

The wiki still shows 3001-3021 in service, but I'm guessing you won't find those on the street either....

"Yes" is the answer to all of your questions, unfortunately.

Dave

Nobody's changed it yet, probably because no one wants them to be gone.

In reality CMBC's D60s have been gone for ages, the Olympics were the first time I'd seen one since the 98 was canceled.

Nobody's changed it yet, probably because no one wants them to be gone.

In reality CMBC's D60s have been gone for ages, the Olympics were the first time I'd seen one since the 98 was canceled.

Wiki has been updated...hope you all got to ride them before they were placed in storage/retired!

Wiki has been updated...hope you all got to ride them before they were placed in storage/retired!

Well I guess that's that, too bad, at least there's still the C40s... which I can get at easily being a North Van local.

At the very least I hope they don't scrap all of them, that would be a huge waste as many of them still run like new, I'm guessing TRAMS will save at least one.

Saw V3139 today parked in a yard behind 1330 Chess Street which is the Vancouver Fire Rescue training centre, I don't know how long it's been there all I know is that it's been placed there recently enough to not be on Google street view. Also they've parked it in such a way that it's impossible to get a good picture, the best view is probably from the SkyTrain between Main Street and Broadway. As for why it's parked where it is, I see only 3 options:

1. They're going to burn it as part of training exercise :rolleyes:

2. They have extra space in their lot and it's just gonna sit there and rot :P

Or 3. Fire rescue is going to convert it to a mobile command centre :D, I would like to see that but really I think #2 is the most likely.

Saw V3139 today parked in a yard behind 1330 Chess Street which is the Vancouver Fire Rescue training centre, I don't know how long it's been there all I know is that it's been placed there recently enough to not be on Google street view. Also they've parked it in such a way that it's impossible to get a good picture, the best view is probably from the SkyTrain between Main Street and Broadway. As for why it's parked where it is, I see only 3 options:

1. They're going to burn it as part of training exercise :rolleyes:

2. They have extra space in their lot and it's just gonna sit there and rot :P

Or 3. Fire rescue is going to convert it to a mobile command centre :D, I would like to see that but really I think #2 is the most likely.

I've actually got a picture of that, from a few months back.

Now before i go on, I warn you this picture may break your hearts.

4210624150_6e76070f9a_b.jpg

I spotted this while riding the skytrain this morning. So, it shows what fate some buses have. Others have ended up in scrap, but this I would assume is a little more honorable.

-Bryan "Goggles"

• 1 month later...
Interesting! However, in that first link, I see images of some of the 1991 D40's.

I think that whoever put the listings up simply realized that there were some parts on D40 and a D60 that look alike if not exactly the same which meant that they could mix certain images with different buses.

As well, Mileage is shown at 200,000. I doubt that's accurate!

I became curious too when the odometer on a D40LF in Burnaby (when we still had them :) ) was only about a few hundred thousand, but my friend pointed out that they do overlap when they reach their limit.

Id say that the D60 is the better deal. Only $1000 more for the extra 20 feet. Wish I had $13900 laying around for 3253, loved driving that one during the Olympics.

I would stay safe and go with a D40, mainly because I've heard far more complaints about them than the D40's, and articulated bus' tend to get B/Oed a lot more often that 40-footers. Typical problems with BTC’s current artics range from braking-related issues to joint failures to engine overheats, and that goes the same even for the new DE60LFR's. Besides, the extra 20 feet can represent a good challenge when finding a place to keep it.

OK that's it, I'm changing my ticket and flying home from Asia this Friday... no sense in continuing to spend money on this trip while there are buses for sale just itching to be bought and fixed up!

:)

who am I kidding, I like Hong Kong too much...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coulda sworn I saw a D40 cross Hastings where the 7 does (Seymour is it?) anyway it was from a distance so I didn't get a fleet number, it is (I guess) possible they are using them on the 7 during construction on the route.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this is even remotely possible?

• 2 months later...

I saw a red D40 go by on eastbound Highway 91 while I was on the 301 just now. I didn't catch a number, but I think it's 3135. Also, when I was on the Canada Line yesterday, I saw the lot that Dave mentions in his guidebook and I noticed that it was only half-full. Perhaps someone's been buying them up?

I saw a red D40 go by on eastbound Highway 91 while I was on the 301 just now. I didn't catch a number, but I think it's 3135. Also, when I was on the Canada Line yesterday, I saw the lot that Dave mentions in his guidebook and I noticed that it was only half-full. Perhaps someone's been buying them up?

Nope, they will all be gone by Thursday, and meet their ultimate destiny, unfortunately =(

Dave