LRT Spottings

My morning report!

Its Woesy morning again.

7:00am

4 car U2 Disabled at clareview included refurb 1015. that went back to the shop.

we waited about 10 minutes for a train at clareview.

At churchill they were announcing delays due to "Weather" multiple trains going south. minimal going north so sounds like issues century park again or so.

Update:

From a co-worker who travelled from the south side, she said there was a report another disabled train on the southside somewhere too they were told.

Edited by James

Wonderful...

Also:

EPCOR: 101 St b/w 103A Ave & 105A Ave closed from 8PM tonight to 3PM Jan 23 for North LRT construction. #YEGtraffic #YEG

Yes it was closed last night. i had to detour down to 97th street after the meeting.

Announcements about delays still being announced at churchill.

Wonderful...

Also:

EPCOR: 101 St b/w 103A Ave & 105A Ave closed from 8PM tonight to 3PM Jan 23 for North LRT construction. #YEGtraffic #YEG

This closure is not related to North LRT construction.

This is for dismantling the EPCOR Tower crane, whereby gravel will be spread over the road and and even larger, mobile crane will be set up to take apart the massive crane and haul it away piece by piece.

I don't believe any progress on North LRT construction to NAIT has been made, aside from utility relocations, property acquisition and demolition, as well as the portion of the LRT tunnel that lies beneath the EPCOR tower.

Does anyone know if they tunneled all the way to the existing Churchill tunnel? I noticed that there are small (~1m) holes in the concrete walls where the NLRT tunnels will eventually be cut...

Does anyone know if they tunneled all the way to the existing Churchill tunnel? I noticed that there are small (~1m) holes in the concrete walls where the NLRT tunnels will eventually be cut...

No they haven't. The tunnel under Epcor is walled up at both ends right now.

From inews880.com

It's been a rough week for LRT in Edmonton

12:26pm

Click here to email Brenton Driedger

1/14/2011

If you've been riding the south LRT line this week, you're probably glad the week is over.

There have been a few hiccups, including a train that stopped Wednesday night when a motor shorted out from taking in snow. But ETS says this is not a trend, it's just a "Murphy's Law" kind of week.

"If it's going to happen, it's going to happen in peak when people are really busy and they want to get from one place to another," says ETS spokesperson Patricia Dickson. "Murphy's Law works that way."

Other winter problems include brakes freezing or doors that lock open when you try to hold them for the person behind you. And of course, it took some time to clear that dump of snow from park and ride lots last weekend, including the one at Century Park.(bd)

from Edmonton Journal

Smoke from faulty brake enters Edmonton LRT train

Weather disrupts transit system

By Gordon Kent, edmontonjournal.com January 14, 2011 1:02 PM

EDMONTON - Concerns about smoke on an LRT train Friday capped a week of disruptions for Edmonton Transit.

Passengers sniffed burning rubber on a couple of train cars during the morning rush hour, but the odour came from a locked brake and didn’t indicate a serious issue, said Patricia Dickson, Edmonton Transit spokeswoman.

The smell only became noticeable because air wasn’t circulating through the cars as quickly as usual due to the cold weather, she said.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Smoke+from+...l#ixzz1B37x4wxF

Lots of fun down here in Calgary too!

Some common cold weather issues with the U2s are:

1. Resistor Faults. When fresh air can't cool the resistors due to condensation building up and eventually clogging the filters then freezing solid...train is restricted to 40km/H and running a risk of blowing a traction motor or two.

2. Blowing traction motors.

3. Disc brakes freezing on. You may notice on a real cold day how a train brakes real smooth and slow, thats caused by the disc brakes engaging slowly and with less holding pressure.

4. Disc brakes that don't release. Sometimes disc brakes don't release and the train gets stuck, if the operator does not notice the train dragging, they will get hot and start smoking into the coach of the train, sometimes there won't even be any indication on the dash to show that the brakes are still engaged.

All of the above happened in Calgary with our cars this week, this kind of stuff has been happening for over 30 years in both Calgary and Edmonton....yes the trains break down too....don't even get me started with the new SD160s!!

A neat article from the U of A student newspaper, The Gateway:

So all of a sudden a sense of permanence is OK, even desirable, and yet with the trolley debate,

that same sense of permanence was considered evil because it made that 'mode' less versatile. IIRC Trolleys were not flexible.

Not flexible (in other words -- permanence) was a bad thing. Evil, evil permanence. :lol:

That quick adoption in Vancouver could be

due to the public's perception of rail transport.

Boutilier said the public will often more readily

adopt rail, adding that the sense of permanence

lent by the infrastructure also leads to

increased development along LRT routes.

“It’s not like a bus route, which you

could lose; it’s going to be there.

Gimme me a break, your trolley arguments, which were along the same lines, were full of B.S. then

Oh, and there was contingency service on the south LRT tonight. Not sure what the problem was this time...

probably those darn Trolley Gods having a bit o' fun again.

New week, and the gongshow continues.

20 min wait at Century Park, usual passenger overload means no additional passengers can board at subsequent stations.

Traveled NB on SB track, then x-over at 37 ave. appears Century park switch problems continue, as well Saddleback Rd gates were manually activated by some ETS dude, and the gates to CP TC and Park and ride (just north of platform) were stuck in down position.

in general trains are not exceeding 50 km/h on any outdoor track, probably due to safety concerns.

How can CofE admin even think to propose the WLRT and SELRT as a glorified low-floor streetcar service, which will involve a much greater degree of vehicle and train interaction (more gates, crossings, x-overs), when it can't even get the "more involved and robust" SLRT working for a week straight?!

... just my 2¢

How can CofE admin even think to propose the WLRT and SELRT as a glorified low-floor streetcar service, which will involve a much greater degree of vehicle and train interaction (more gates, crossings, x-overs), when it can't even get the "more involved and robust" SLRT working for a week straight?!

... just my 2¢

I wholeheartedly agree with you. That makes $0.04.

• Board Admin

When I boarded the train at the University at about 6:30PM, both directions had trains waiting there. Full standing load on each. It was slow moving the rest of the way north, taking 30 minutes to get to Belvedere. There were hockey game crowds as the game was starting at 7, but the train was not moving at normal speed.

Delays continued into rush hour. at 425pm i waited about 10 minutes for a train on a packed platform at churchill.

There was a not in service U2 consist at DL on the outside track 1 when we went by.

I feel for the dispatchers. boy must it suck all day long dealing with this crap.

So last night on the way home. Caught northbound at 4:27pm at churchill.they were runnign off schedule again. it was slow and go. got shut down twice. Epcor was working at one of the signals by stadium. there were crews working on the new signals by clareview.

No lrt on January 30 all day from Churchill to Clareview. 7-8 minute contingency service in effect.

Clareview parking lot was a sheet of ice this morning with the rain.