LRT Spottings

Sounds like this may have been an assault that turned deadly for both. apparently a boy was chasing a girl away from their group and she was trying to get away including turning back and yelling at him to leave her alone. in the paper it does say someone saw him holding her down on the tracks.

very devistating that both of their lives have now been lost.

Journal has made an error in the number of deaths. they say 3 before these but im sure Martin is right about that lady that died at 95 street crossing. they didnt include that one.

Sounds like this may have been an assault that turned deadly for both. apparently a boy was chasing a girl away from their group and she was trying to get away including turning back and yelling at him to leave her alone. in the paper it does say someone saw him holding her down on the tracks.

very devistating that both of their lives have now been lost.

Journal has made an error in the number of deaths. they say 3 before these but im sure Martin is right about that lady that died at 95 street crossing. they didnt include that one.

Oh boy! Sad...

Now that a SD160 was involved in the incident, they will be able to see what happened using the on board cameras on that train. It should be recorded by the front camera and side cameras.....

Apparently Fire Department was called to Clareview around 745ish with a train on fire? Not heard anything more. i was on car 1026 heading south not far ahead of that train and ours kept smelling like something burning so i wonder if it was the smell that someone called about and it might have come from one of the switch heater/blowers outside and just creaped into the car.

What a disaster the evening rush hour ride on the LRT was! Does anyone know the cause of the problems?

I got on southbound at Churchill, waited on platform for 10 min, then rode to Central where another 10 minute wait occurred.

Next 20 km/h to Corona for a 5 minute wait, then to Grandin, then wait on the bridge, then crossover to Northbound track at south portal.

At University the operator announced that the train would be changing directions back to Clareview. We were to wait for the southbound train on the south platform. Couldn't get on the first southbound train because it was full.

The next train took us up one stop to Health Sciences, where too many people got on the old U2 and knocked the door off of its tracks.

After 10 min of the operator making the automated "Please stand clear of automatic doors" announcement, he finally got out of his cab and came over and fixed the problem in the box above.

20-30 km/h all the way to Southgate. Saw a 4-car U2 on the pocket track at South Campus - was this the culprit?

Crossed to Northbound tracks at 37 ave. Next waited for another 5 min at 34 ave for unknown reason. Finally crawled into Century Park.

Departure: 4:35 pm

Arrival: 6:05 pm

This is the most embarrassing train i have ever encountered - it seems like every 2 weeks there is a dead train.

Anyone at transit ops have more details??

I attempted to catch the 85 leaving CN tower at 5:55pm this evening, it didn't come. I waited until 6:23pm when the last 112 Capilano came and took that instead. I don't think there were any shortage of extremely long waits for buses. How the heck does the 85 get 30 minutes behind? It goes from Capilano to Downtown and back on a fairly obscure residential route. Speaking of that 85, I spotted it by my house as I was walking towards 98ave on 79st after getting off the 112. =P So I guess it came after all. What a joke.

The problem was not a dead train. Otherwise you wouldn't have been using the 37 Ave switches as Century Park switches would presumably sill be OK.

While the information from our motorman was brief at best, he indicated switch problems at Century Park and that the switches were being manually operated.

Although he seemed to indicate the Century Park switches were being thrown manually that is obviuosly incorrect as they were using the 37 Ave switches instead. Whether or not those were being thrown manually, I'm not sure.

From one report from the scene (all crossing gates down, in service train announced by station annoucements as NIS, and slow operation) I tend to think there was a signal system faliure on the south side. Probably affecting litterally anything tied into the signal system.

- crossing gates I believe are designed to fail safe. Power goes down, or the system otherwise can't confirm where a train is the gates automatically go down.

- signals would default red if there's a serious issue. Slow train operation is likely the result of using the signal bypass function so that trains don't get shut down when passing a red signal.

- although I'm not entirely certainly how train tracking works, I've heard during other signal system events that control can lose track of which trains are which. This is ultimately tied into the station announcements, I believe, to annouce if a train is in service or not. Seems to me the system lost track of trains, and hence the announcement of a train being not in service when in fact it was.

Another report indicates at least 1 train was short turned at Bay.

There were huge gaps in northbound service with southbound service stacking up.

Short turning was the best option since they couldn't get enough trains going south fast enough.

Sucks for the people going south, but, it's better than having nothing going north.

This morning wasn't too great either. I was passed up by a northbound at BleMac and there was at least a 10 minute... if not 15-20 minute gap in service likely due to the fire incident at Clareview.

• Board Admin

My friend spent over an hour on the train from University to Clareview (1615 departure approx).

I took the train at around 1730-1745 from University northbound. Lucky for me there was a NB train pulling in as we got down to the platform.

We departed normally but stopped at Grandin for a good 5 minutes or more. We departed once a SD consist came in to the station SB. This train said UNIVERSITY on its destination signs though.

At Corona we had another 5 minute or more wait. There was a 4 car U2 sitting there, of which refurb 1001 was part of (north middle car).

We proceeded to Bay/Enterprise Square, where I got off. Here there was a SD consist on the SB track sitting with CLAREVIEW on its destination signs, and it looked ready to roll after my train (the one I just got off of) departed. The taillights were on, so the operator had already switched ends.

Laying in bed a bit after 2... and I hear crossing gates. Looked to be a U2. When I finally looked outside the car was just sitting there, south of 112 Ave. Poor thing didn't sound too good when it started to move! Lots of creaking and groaning! Lots of sparking too and a nice big arc through the section insulator :P

LRT seemed wonky during the pm peak.

Instances of 9-10 minutes between trains and other cases of 3 minutes or less.

Southgate at one point showed trains arriving in 4 minutes and 5 minutes.

2103, 2304, and 2308 are now on the CN connecting track, just south of Coliseum.

Would have probably required pulling the cars into Coliseum on the NB track, uncouple the cars, use the crossovers north of Coliseum, go south on the SB track through Coliseum, use the crossovers south of Coilseum, couple onto the cars from the south end and then head onto E Track, reverse, and leave the cars on the connecting track. I can't imagine that was done during regular service hours!

Yesterday there was an LRT announcement in a computerized voice: "Due to system upgrades trains are running up to 10 minutes late"

The announcement that they made for the issues last Thursday were just terrible. I can't believe they wouldn't use a prerecorded message with a real human instead of this terrible sounding computer voice with very poor pronunciation!

The most interesting mix of equipment I've seen on a Saturday monring...

Train 1, 2, 4, and 7 were 3 car SD's 3, 5, 6, 8 were 4 car U2's.... I believe...

My guess if they wanted extra capacity without extra trains for events relating to Grey Cup.

My train... 6 I believe... had a pair of refurbs as middle cars. 1005 and 1010.

The most interesting mix of equipment I've seen on a Saturday monring...

Train 1, 2, 4, and 7 were 3 car SD's 3, 5, 6, 8 were 4 car U2's.... I believe...

My guess if they wanted extra capacity without extra trains for events relating to Grey Cup.

My train... 6 I believe... had a pair of refurbs as middle cars. 1005 and 1010.

I saw that last train too. There was another 4-car U2 consist last week with 1001 and 1005 as the middle cars. That train last week had the new destination signs lit up, one car had all the signs completely lit (all "pixels" on), the other car only had one vertical strip of "pixels" lit for each sign.

The signs were off on both cars yesterday.