A. Wong

OC Bus Spottings

Rode 6679 on route 12 Blair this evening at 7:50 (Montreal @ St. Laurent).  Presto, farebox and NSAS weren't working.

Just now, tomsbuspage said:

Rode 6679 on route 12 Blair this evening at 7:50 (Montreal @ St. Laurent).  Presto, farebox and NSAS weren't working.

An OC Transpo Hat-trick!

Pretty sure one of the new Nova LFS buses was on the 665 Bell H.S. this morning. I was on the 97 Bells Corners at Westcliffe/Robertson at around 8:35 am and it was coming from Kanata on Robertson eastbound about to turn right onto Westcliffe. I didn't catch the fleet number as my 97 pulled away a few seconds before I had a chance. :(

Speaking of the 97 I was on, it sounded really rough.. IIRC it was a D60LF (possibly 6393?), but it didn't seem to be running very well... I got on at the Queensway Carleton Hospital and felt vibrations all the way to work...

4608 was travelling out of service by Carling and Cambridge at 15:05.

4288 seems to not have a working bell, rode this bus on 56 Tunney's Pasture.

On 4416 right now running the R2. 

Do the buses not have R2 programmed into them? This bus was signed as "Charter" and the other one I saw had nothing.

4616 on the 10 Rideau right now. Also saw 4627 out of service on the Carleton Campus. 

2 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

Do the buses not have R2 programmed into them? This bus was signed as "Charter" and the other one I saw had nothing.

Saw 6482 with a proper sign, "R2 North / Nord"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

They do, I have the code somewhere, but it is in the system.

4 hours ago, romanr27 said:

4616 on the 10 Rideau right now. Also saw 4627 out of service on the Carleton Campus. 

Wouldn't call that a "proper sign", but then again, in my opinion, OC Transpo is terrible at destination sign exposures. R2 Bayview would have been an improvement.

I would like them to re-program the destination exposures with how routes get to their destinations, rather than just the destination. Especially when the LRT opens, any route that goes to Tunney's Pasture, Hurdman, and/or Blair is going to confuse passengers.

Imagine somebody taking an 82 Bayshore from Tunney's Pasture all the way to Bayshore, when the 57, 61, 62, 63, 64, etc. are all basically direct service (excluding the 250's and 260's, of course). If you're newish to the city, and you see your destination, you'll hop on that bus, not knowing it'll potentially take 60 minutes instead of 25 minutes.

• Like 1

I was on 4419 running on 101 St. Laurent this morning and the bus has a driver's shield.

6371 was on 103 Place D' Orleans passing by Carling and Sherwood at 15:10.

6383 was also on 14 Carlington at 08:08 at Summerville/Merivale, then was on 14 St. Laurent turning onto Parkdale from Carling at 08:20 (saw while riding 4419).

5 hours ago, romanr27 said:

I also saw them with the correct signs about half an hour later.

35 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

Wouldn't call that a "proper sign", but then again, in my opinion, OC Transpo is terrible at destination sign exposures. R2 Bayview would have been an improvement.

IIRC the signs switch between "R2 South / Sud" and "R2 Greenboro" (although it ends at South Keys, no?), and likewise for North and Bayview.

4603 - 282 Trend Arlington (Tunney's, 5:20)

8053 - 89 Tunney's Pasture (Fisher / Baseline, 5:40)

1 hour ago, bsnider001 said:

Imagine somebody taking an 82 Bayshore from Tunney's Pasture all the way to Bayshore, when the 57, 61, 62, 63, 64, etc. are all basically direct service (excluding the 250's and 260's, of course). If you're newish to the city, and you see your destination, you'll hop on that bus, not knowing it'll potentially take 60 minutes instead of 25 minutes.

Heck, I even did this yesterday. Was going to Heron from downtown and hopped on a 98, not realizing it snakes through Lees because I've never done that route before. 

36 minutes ago, romanr27 said:

4603 - 282 Trend Arlington (Tunney's, 5:20)

8053 - 89 Tunney's Pasture (Fisher / Baseline, 5:40)

Heck, I even did this yesterday. Was going to Heron from downtown and hopped on a 98, not realizing it snakes through Lees because I've never done that route before. 

Big no no 😛 wait for the 97, 293 or 299 next time.

43 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Big no no 😛 wait for the 97, 293 or 299 next time.

The inconsistency is annoying, the 95 will say "Via Lees" but the 98 just says "Hawthorne"

24 minutes ago, romanr27 said:

The inconsistency is annoying, the 95 will say "Via Lees" but the 98 just says "Hawthorne"

it's not inconsistent, those trips are designed to go through Lees on the 98 while the 95 on select trips bypass Lees. Same with the 97, it will sign 97 Airport via Lees / Hunt Club when it goes via Lee's but will only sign 97 "South Keys / Airport" otherwise.

2 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

it's not inconsistent, those trips are designed to go through Lees on the 98 while the 95 on select trips bypass Lees. Same with the 97, it will sign 97 Airport via Lees / Hunt Club when it goes via Lee's but will only sign 97 "South Keys / Airport" otherwise.

No trips on the eastbound 95 bypass Lees.

19 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

IIRC the signs switch between "R2 South / Sud" and "R2 Greenboro" (although it ends at South Keys, no?), and likewise for North and Bayview.

Pretty sure the south end of R2 is South Keys, so technically it should be alternating between 'R2 South / Sud' and 'R2 South Keys'.

I've also seen that reversed, with some route exposures showing South Keys, but ending at Greenboro (the old 87 exposure comes to mind). The 87 used to be '87 South Keys /via Riverside Dr /via prom Riverside but ended at Greenboro, not South Keys.

14 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

No trips on the eastbound 95 bypass Lees.

The 97 only serves Lees southbound because the 98 doesn't run north of Greenboro after around 10 pm, and there wouldn't be any direct service after 10 pm between Lees and South Keys otherwise. That said, I wonder why the 97 isn't the bus going to Lees, since the 98 snakes through Greenboro already.

The 95 always serves Lees eastbound, as the 91 only runs until around 6 pm.

I'd also like to know why the 95 can go from Cambrian/Barrhaven Centre to Trim on one trip, but the 97 cannot be scheduled from Airport to Bayshore/Bells Corners on the same trip... but that's a discussion for another day...

Also, I saw a D60LFR (6619?) with its engine bay open just west of Bayshore stop 2A this morning (around 8:10 am) with cones out and four ways on.

• Like 1