A. Wong

OC Bus Spottings

6,062 posts in this topic

On 2017-04-23 at 6:01 PM, JCL said:

I saw 5014 on Route 62 Kanata, at Bayview Station at 16:26

I was on that bus at around 2 PM from Tanger Outlet malls (previous bus was cancelled).

On 2017-04-23 at 0:59 PM, Oc4526 said:

500x 62 St Laurent (12:58 at Lincoln )

Bus number 5008 was the other one running on the 62 Kanata. 

Also saw three double deckers on the 95 (between Place D'Orleans and MacKenzie King). A few along 94. Don't have the count on that one.

And a good majority on the route 1. With some articulated buses in the mix. 

Today bus spottings (Tuesday):

5165: 95 MacKenize King at 8:26 AM spotted at Scott and Holland 

5048: 265 MacKenzie King 8:30 AM at Westboro

Final comments:

The hybrids aren't good for the rapid transit routes because of the high speed involved. At the same time, I hope they do retire these buses since they are a bit of a drain in reliability and resources. They aren't my kind of bus.

At the same time, I do hope they continue to utilize double deckers in the summer booking too. The feedback I have seen is positive in a passenger perspective. Knowing the seating capacity on those buses. At the same time, it does increase dwell time (loading and unloading) especially for those that get off from the top deck. 

Overall, I hope they do get used more often. I have seen mostly seated on the 95s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

This is all I spotted today, sorry! will do better tomorrow 

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

I was driving through on my 98 to Lebreton shortly after that happend, saw them on Laurier east of the "Transitway" around 18:15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

 

Final comments:

 At the same time, it does increase dwell time (loading and unloading) especially for those that get off from the top 

Not true, 40" buses have slower dwell time on busy routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Also saw three double deckers on the 95 (between Place D'Orleans and MacKenzie King). A few along 94. Don't have the count on that one.

And a good majority on the route 1. With some articulated buses in the mix.  

Correct, the majority of the double deckers are assigned to Route 1. 

On Saturdays, DDs are assigned to Routes 1, 11, 12, and Route 94 - some of those runs will interline with Route 95 on some Saturday morning trips. On Sundays, they are assigned to Routes 1, 11, 94 and 95 - none on Route 12. From my count, a maximum of 25 double deckers will be out on weekends.

20 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The hybrids aren't good for the rapid transit routes because of the high speed involved. At the same time, I hope they do retire these buses since they are a bit of a drain in reliability and resources. They aren't my kind of bus.

Have you tried riding a hybrid bus westbound on Hwy 417 between Moodie and Eagleson? They can't go faster than just over 60 km/h when climbing up that hill, on a 100 km/h road.

19 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

At the same time, I do hope they continue to utilize double deckers in the summer booking too. The feedback I have seen is positive in a passenger perspective. Knowing the seating capacity on those buses. At the same time, it does increase dwell time (loading and unloading) especially for those that get off from the top deck. 

Overall, I hope they do get used more often. I have seen mostly seated on the 95s. 

I have no doubt that they will continue to assign double deckers out on weekends this Summer (as well as Canada Day). The question is, will they continue to put them out this Fall or Winter. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JCL said:

Correct, the majority of the double deckers are assigned to Route 1. 

On Saturdays, DDs are assigned to Routes 1, 11, 12, and Route 94 - some of those runs will interline with Route 95 on some Saturday morning trips. On Sundays, they are assigned to Routes 1, 11, 94 and 95 - none on Route 12. From my count, a maximum of 25 double deckers will be out on weekends.

Have you tried riding a hybrid bus westbound on Hwy 417 between Moodie and Eagleson? They can't go faster than just over 60 km/h when climbing up that hill, on a 100 km/h road.

I have no doubt that they will continue to assign double deckers out on weekends this Summer (as well as Canada Day). The question is, will they continue to put them out this Fall or Winter. 

Fall and Winter are the busiest time periods. Though, I think it will give the real test of usage and feedback on the real world experience and not just assumptions. 

Especially when having over 100 of them and another 17 on-order, they need to be utilized somewhere to maximum their potential outside of peak periods. Weekends are a good starting base before considering if they want to keep them on during regular daytime service should they further expand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What they need to do is get over their "PHOBIA" of night/late night usage that problems will occur?   If that case then take all artics of the road in the evenings andf late night service as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

What they need to do is get over their "PHOBIA" of night/late night usage that problems will occur?   If that case then take all artics of the road in the evenings andf late night service as well.

One of the reasons they won't be used in late evenings is that OC specified smaller than average fuel tanks in the double deckers to increase seating capacity, therefore they cannot be used on a full day service as they would have to return to the depot for refilling at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

One of the reasons they won't be used in late evenings is that OC specified smaller than average fuel tanks in the double deckers to increase seating capacity, therefore they cannot be used on a full day service as they would have to return to the depot for refilling at some point.

If you havent noticed, many runs come out of the garage between 3pm and 6pm run late into the night, those runs are given buses that have been fueled during the daytime, so that is not the issue...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

If you havent noticed, many runs come out of the garage between 3pm and 6pm run late into the night, those runs are given buses that have been fueled during the daytime, so that is not the issue...

 

According to a conversation I had with a senior manager at OC the size of the tank is one of the issues....note I said one, not the only issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

5150 -> 98 Hawthorne (12:00 @laurier )

It was run 98-7 - I saw it too at Hurdman Station at 12:08.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now