Enviro 500

Buses in the snow

Share / show-off all your photos of buses / trains / planes / random objects in the snow here!

I've never found the joy of transit-fanning in the snow until today! It happened that Vancouver is receiving lots of snow, much more than the past couple of years; so yesterday there were rumors that a snow storm would hit Vancouver, and schools would be shut down............unfortunately, the storm never hits Vancouver, and the schools didn't close. But I thought to myself "it's either now or never"; so I decided to take a day off and go out transit-fanning.............after all I'm glad about my decision for taking this rare opportunity!

Here are a few of the excellent shots that I have taken in the snow earlier today!

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p36560326.html

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p36560323.html

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p36560324.html

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p36560321.html

Comments welcome! :lol:

Dave

http://etspe.ca/ets/2006orionvii.php

Almost froze my fingers off in the -40°C windchill.

David, how come no T.I.T.S?

lol I do have photos of T.I.T.S, but more D.I.T.S for some reasons...........but afterall they're all B.I.T.S!!! :lol: (Try to figure out what do these codes stand for!)

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p36560320.html

Dave

lol I do have photos of T.I.T.S, but more D.I.T.S for some reasons...........but afterall they're all B.I.T.S!!! laugh.gif (Try to figure out what do these codes stand for!)

Trolley and Buses in the snow respectively. I think Trolleys On The Snow or Buses On The Snow (TOTS and BOTS) is a bit more accurate considering they are actually driving on top of the snow. Also especially for T.I.T.S as misunderstandings can happen.

I wish I could share some but darn we still don't have snow here in Toronto only snain (Snow and Rain mix) :)

5135 @ Davisville.

Why must we torture ourselves with the inevitable that's heading towards us (or the GTA at least; haha @ Vancouver, Calgary, or anyone else who got owned by the snow :))?

ttc5135b.jpg

5135 @ Davisville.

Why must we torture ourselves with the inevitable that's heading towards us (or the GTA at least; haha @ Vancouver, Calgary, or anyone else who got owned by the snow :P)?

I trust that wasn't today :)

I wish it looked like that today. I really can't wait for a major snow storm, but for starters how about a bit of snow, we've got nothing so far! :)

go1529.jpg

Here's GO 1529 a few years ago.

Look at that mound of snow.

And the brown slush.

And the dirt on the bus.

Ugh...

I'll take summer, dehydration, and desperation for air conditioning over the depression of winter. Thank you. :) lol

I should move to California lol.

Wilson Wu

Markham, ON

I wish it looked like that today. I really can't wait for a major snow storm, but for starters how about a bit of snow, we've got nothing so far!

Go to Barrie. Its only an hour away and its in the snowbelt :)

Go to Barrie. Its only an hour away and its in the snowbelt :)

I want more then snow, I want transit and snow. Of course Barrie does have Public Transit but not nearly as good as public transit down here in the GTA.

Well, I have quite a few, but I'll start with some of these 11 Series 1991 MCI Classics that I took last winter, since it hasn't snowed yet in Montreal this year.

STM_11033_271105_01.jpg

Sorry, this one is kind of depressing, but sometimes so is winter. STM Bus #11-033 was parked here infront of Frontenac garage for over a month before they towed it to the retirement yards on St-Laurent.

STM_11011_010606_07.jpg

A very cold day in January with STM Bus #11-011. It's seen better days, but it purrs like a kitten!

STM_11090_122805_01SP.jpg

An early evening shot in the middle of winter taken at Cote-Vertu terminus of a rare original paint scheme #11-090.

STM_11077_010606_01.jpg

One of the last 535 departures of the rush hour in this very, very cold winter morning on #11-077, which looked great, sounded great, unfortunately was retired afterwards...

More photos to come of other winter scenes...

Well, I have quite a few, but I'll start with some of these 11 Series 1991 MCI Classics that I took last winter, since it hasn't snowed yet in Montreal this year.

STM_11011_010606_07.jpg

A very cold day in January with STM Bus #11-011. It's seen better days, but it purrs like a kitten!

How did it pass the chunck of snow?

How did it pass the chunck of snow?

Well, look at the bumper on the passenger side of the bus, you'll see there is snow on it. In Montreal the drivers and dispatchers like to use the Classics to take the first pass after each snow storm to clear out the right lane and the reserved bus lanes since they use them double as a snow plow in the winters. So that huge chunk of snow was sent flying when the driver aimed straight for it.

I'd love to get some photos in the winter down residential streets where people think they can clean their driveways and pile up the snow in the right lane of the street. It's really fun to ride in the winter down these small streets, since the drivers like to maintain their position on the right lane even if there is a 6 foot tall snowbank, and they send all the snow flying back into the person's yard. (That'll show 'em!) Unfortunately I can't say the same for the LFS buses, since they seem to have trouble keeping in control during the winter. I've slid down hills, over sidewalks and gotten stuck in snowbanks with LFSes sadly. The two main reasons are that they are too low to the ground and that the engine is on the drivers side, so it doesn't balance out, which causes fishtails or needless spinning of tires, while on a Classic the engine is centre in the back where it provides much needed weight to hold down the rear tires and keep them on the ground.

How do buses in your neck of the woods handle snow falls when snow removal service is either too slow or not available in the winter?