Hampton Roads Transit (HRT)

ABQ RIDE

On 6/14/2019 at 5:12 PM, thatbusdude said:

262.JPG

263.JPG

256.JPG

260.JPG

Does anyone know the year/make/model for these HRT trolleys that I photographed a while ago in VA Beach? I can't seem to find any information on them on the wiki or on Wikipedia.

My understanding is that they were manufactured by a company called "Hometown Trolley" in Crandon, Wisconsin.

The initial 14 units were delivered to Hampton Roads Transit starting in the spring of 2015 with the initiation of service in June of that year.  

Hometown Trolley website   (hah! I didn't notice initially but it appears that the unit they feature on their homepage is the one in your photos)

Judging from the appearance of the chassis which looks rather heavy-duty, I'd guess the model would be "The Streetcar"  ...go to THIS page.

(hi captaintrolley!  hope you're doing well  ...ty)

• Like 1

After doing more research, the parent company of Hometown Trolley is actually "Hometown Manufacturing" that appears to have two divisions, 1) Hometown Trolley, and 2) Hometown Coach both headquartered in Crandon, Wisconsin and the company is registered as "Double K, Inc."   --go HERE for Hometown Coach information

Additionally, Hometown Trolley and Hometown Coach use mostly chassis made by FCCC.  FCCC (Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation) is a subsidiary of Freightliner Trucks and are both under the corporate umbrella of Daimler.  

The use of the FCCC chassis interests me personally because I've owned several Class A motorhomes built on FCCC chassis.  They are the prominent maker of the majority of Class A diesel-pusher motorhome chassis.  

It appears to me that "The Streetcar" model used by HRT is built on a  FCCC XB-S straight-rail diesel pusher chassis.  Here's an interesting article from an old edition of National Bus Trader magazine (busmag.com) that mentions the relationship:

Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation -- Filling a Need for Higher Quality Mid-Size Buses

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some research on HRT recently and here is some info on current bus orders:

• At the October 2018 Board Meeting, HRT approved the order of ten (10) 29ft Gillig LowFloor Diesel buses.
  • At the November 2018 Board Meeting, HRT approved the order of eleven (11) 35ft Gillig LowFloor Diesel buses and the order of six (6) 40ft Gillig LowFloor Diesel buses.
  • At the January 2019 Board Meeting, HRT approved the order of two (2) 40ft Gillig LowFloor Suburban buses.

Here are some auction links to buses I have found. An interesting note about the 2000 & 2001 Phantoms are that the seats closest to the front of the bus are slanted forward slightly rather than being perpendicular to any side of the bus. I have never seen this seat application before.

• 1 year later...