Hampton Roads Transit (HRT)

ABQ RIDE

There are going to be two new HRT routes starting in June, both split up from two existing routes:

Route 13 will be split at 20th & Seaboard, with the portion afterward becoming Route 14.

Route 116 will be split. Route 116 currently operates two buses with one leaving Patrick Henry Mall and heads down Warwick Boulevard to Lee Hall and down Jefferson Avenue back to Patrick Henry and the opposite for the other. Now, the 116 will take Warwick Boulevard on the inbound AND outbound trip and the Jefferson Avenue trip will become Route 108.

In addition, Route 962 currently operates from Magnolia Park & Ride to Cedar Grove in Downtown Norfolk. After June, Route 962 will be extended to Downtown Suffolk in order to meet up with the rest of the Suffolk routes and will end at County & Court in Downtown Portsmouth. This is likely because most passengers were headed to Downtown Portsmouth and very few went to the current end point at Cedar Grove.

• 7 months later...

According to Wikipedia, Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) will be getting 14 new buses in 2011. However, looking on Google, I can't seem to find any info about it.

Does anyone have any info about this order? I am pretty sure they will be Gilligs, as HRT is a loyal Gillig customer. However, I wonder if they will be the regular Low Floor or will they be the BRT, and if they will be diesel or diesel-electric hybrids. I'm guessing that these buses might replace some of the older ex-TRT Orion Vs in the fleet.

According to Wikipedia, Hampton Roads Transit (HRT) will be getting 14 new buses in 2011. However, looking on Google, I can't seem to find any info about it.

Does anyone have any info about this order? I am pretty sure they will be Gilligs, as HRT is a loyal Gillig customer. However, I wonder if they will be the regular Low Floor or will they be the BRT, and if they will be diesel or diesel-electric hybrids. I'm guessing that these buses might replace some of the older ex-TRT Orion Vs in the fleet.

Except that a search using HRT's site by me revealed....

The second item was a recommendation to approve the purchase of ten (10) 29-foot diesel-electric hybrids, six (6) 40-foot low-floor heavy-duty transit coaches, and related equipment.

This action will allow HRT to acquire new energy-efficient hybrid electric buses for the universal shuttle and also to replace a number of diesel buses that have exceeded their useful life with buses employing the latest clean-diesel technology. HRT was able to obtain a very favorable delivery date of May 2011 for the hybrid buses.

Funding for the buses has been secured through federal and state grants. The hybrid bus acquisition will require a local match of approximately four percent, which will be in

the capital budget for FY 2011. The 40-foot bus acquisition will be funded through grants that do not require a local match.

HRT is a participant in a five-year bus contract consortium led by San Mateo, California’s transit agency. After a competitive process, a contract was awarded to Gillig Corporation, Hayward, CA for buses of various types and propulsion systems, in October of 2008. The average price per hybrid vehicle will be approximately $572,374 and the average price per 40-foot bus will be approximately $ 377,991. HRT also needs to acquire support equipment and spare parts as well as maintenance training with this purchase, at a cost of approximately $ 500,000. HRT will also have to procure fareboxes and ACS/APC units for these buses from other sources, at a cost of approximately $ 424,000.

Commissioner Brown made a motion to approve a contract award to purchase ten (10) 29-foot diesel-electric hybrids and six (6) 40-foot low-floor heavy-duty transit coaches from Gillig Corporation for a total price not to exceed $7,991,686; and to authorize the purchase of additional equipment, including support equipment, spare parts, maintenance training, fare boxes and ACS/APC units, at a total price not to exceed $924,000. Commissioner Holley seconded the motion.

http://www.gohrt.com/governing-board/minut.../05/minutes.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey just wondering what the current bus set up is as I'll be in the area in a few weeks and was kinda looking forward to riding an Orion with that 6V92TA.

I think that most, if not all of the Orions have been retired as well as most of the trolleys and a few of the S50 Phantoms. Right now our fleet is basically all Gilligs, with the exception of any possible Orions remaining, the remaining trolleys, the 14xx Chance Opuses and our Handi-Ride buses.

HRT is also ending all service to the city of Suffolk by the end of the year because of poor performance. My guesses for why it didn't go so well:

- Suffolk Routes did not run on Saturdays or Sundays.

- There was only one connection to Portsmouth and Norfolk; Route 962, which didn't even run during midday, effectively leaving bus riders stranded in Suffolk until the PM peak period.

I think that most, if not all of the Orions have been retired as well as most of the trolleys and a few of the S50 Phantoms. Right now our fleet is basically all Gilligs, with the exception of any possible Orions remaining, the remaining trolleys, the 14xx Chance Opuses and our Handi-Ride buses.

Oh isnt that a shame, also I was gonna head to Norfolk but the tide isnt running yet so im just gonna stay on the peninsula. I take most the DD50 Giligs are on that side?

Oh isnt that a shame, also I was gonna head to Norfolk but the tide isnt running yet so im just gonna stay on the peninsula. I take most the DD50 Giligs are on that side?

Yeah, but there are a few on the Southside, but they might have retired.

Also, we have some new 40ft Gilligs at the peninsula base numbered 2047 - 2052. They do look kind of different from other Gillig Low Floors in the back.

Yeah, but there are a few on the Southside, but they might have retired.

Also, we have some new 40ft Gilligs at the peninsula base numbered 2047 - 2052. They do look kind of different from other Gillig Low Floors in the back.

Bleh more Gilligs with ISL/Voith, I get tired of it with DART. Also could the 2011 buses be added to this sites roster by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a few photos of the newest Gilligs. I took these this week while in the Tidewater this week for the grand opening of The Tide light rail line.

HRT2048.jpg

HRT2049rear.jpg

HRT2047.jpg

HRT4031.jpg

HRT4001.jpg

And for those that weren't aware, HRT began operating The Tide light rail line on 08-19/2011. I was there for the Inaugural Ride of The Tide, and took a few pictures and videos of it. The cars used are 2009 Siemens S70s numbered in the 400 series.

Car #407, the first train to be operated in passenger service.

HRTT407.jpg

Train #405

HRTT405.jpg

What the seats on The Tide look like...

HRTTideseats.jpg

Builder's Plate

HRTSiemensbp.jpg

Commemorative Ticket.

HRTcommenmorativerailticket.jpg

Oh, and Shadowrider, free rides are allowed on The Tide this weekend if you're interested.

• Like 2

No, it is a fact, as many TAs are happy with Gillig. Just because you hate Gillig doesn't mean that everyone else has to. While I am a New Flyer fan myself, the quality of Gillig is decent.

I would like to disagree with you on there. Gillig buses to me really cannot handle real city transit (CTA, NYCMTA, SEPTA, MBTA, etc.) and the buses are POS's once they get past their 5 year mark. The KCATA in Kansas City, MO operates all Gilligs and the majority of drivers and mechanics DO NOT LIKE THE ADVANTAGE OR PHANTOM!!! few mechanics told me it is a cheap put together bus. Some drivers who are from other cities (i know a few in kc who come from pro-NFI cities) and say they love New Flyer buses. Talked to an operator and also the KCATA loved the D60LFR and complained that they should have artics and said NFI buses are the best buses they drove since the TMC RTS-06 buses (the last RTS ordered in KC was 1993, along with a piggy order from the Jo in KS). Now being a frequent rider of Gilligs, there are a few things that I do like about them, like the standard tires instead of those low-profile tires on the NFI buses and the exhaust filter. can't stand the rear HVAC, takes away from the engine power.

El Dorado National buses are pieces of booboo. Can't stand them see-saw buses (remember the transmark re?). Now I do want to ride the Axcess. Looks like a good bus on photo.

But I also do think TA's should stick to what they know. easier for parts, familiarity, etc.

I would like to disagree with you on there. Gillig buses to me really cannot handle real city transit (CTA, NYCMTA, SEPTA, MBTA, etc.) and the buses are POS's once they get past their 5 year mark. The KCATA in Kansas City, MO operates all Gilligs and the majority of drivers and mechanics DO NOT LIKE THE ADVANTAGE OR PHANTOM!!! few mechanics told me it is a cheap put together bus. Some drivers who are from other cities (i know a few in kc who come from pro-NFI cities) and say they love New Flyer buses. Talked to an operator and also the KCATA loved the D60LFR and complained that they should have artics and said NFI buses are the best buses they drove since the TMC RTS-06 buses (the last RTS ordered in KC was 1993, along with a piggy order from the Jo in KS). Now being a frequent rider of Gilligs, there are a few things that I do like about them, like the standard tires instead of those low-profile tires on the NFI buses and the exhaust filter. can't stand the rear HVAC, takes away from the engine power.

El Dorado National buses are pieces of booboo. Can't stand them see-saw buses (remember the transmark re?). Now I do want to ride the Axcess. Looks like a good bus on photo.

But I also do think TA's should stick to what they know. easier for parts, familiarity, etc.

I wonder, why doesn't HRT even consider Orion anymore, considering they operated a large fleet of ex-TRT Orion Vs?

I wonder, why doesn't HRT even consider Orion anymore, considering they operated a large fleet of ex-TRT Orion Vs?

1. Orion bids too high. That kills them completely here in Virginia.

2. HRT is satisfied with Gillig. Gillig's customer service blows Orion out of the water, as HRT is able to get parts from Gillig by the next morning. This is why the GRTC Transit System hasn't wavered from Gillig either.

3. Obvious issues, like costs, parts, etc. Most transit agencies in Virginia have kept their fleets homogenous over the past 10 years. The exception to that is (what is now) Charlottesville Area Transit. They didn't order from Gillig until 2008, and that was a piggyback order. The previous purchases were from Chance Coach/Optima and New Flyer (for buses 840 and 841).

As for the comment about Gillig being crap, I disagree with that. Gillig has done an excellent job here in Virginia, especially on the customer service front. As mentioned earlier, they've been the ONLY manufacturer that can deliver parts within 24 hours (as long as they're ordered by 4:30pm), usually by the next morning.

1. Orion bids too high. That kills them completely here in Virginia.

2. HRT is satisfied with Gillig. Gillig's customer service blows Orion out of the water, as HRT is able to get parts from Gillig by the next morning. This is why the GRTC Transit System hasn't wavered from Gillig either.

3. Obvious issues, like costs, parts, etc. Most transit agencies in Virginia have kept their fleets homogenous over the past 10 years. The exception to that is (what is now) Charlottesville Area Transit. They didn't order from Gillig until 2008, and that was a piggyback order. The previous purchases were from Chance Coach/Optima and New Flyer (for buses 840 and 841).

As for the comment about Gillig being crap, I disagree with that. Gillig has done an excellent job here in Virginia, especially on the customer service front. As mentioned earlier, they've been the ONLY manufacturer that can deliver parts within 24 hours (as long as they're ordered by 4:30pm), usually by the next morning.

FYI, the Commonwealth has signed an umbrella contract with New Flyer for the provision of buses to any Virginia TA. I hope HRT takes some of these options, however, I have this feeling that only the Northern Virginia TAs will seriously consider taking them.

FYI, the Commonwealth has signed an umbrella contract with New Flyer for the provision of buses to any Virginia TA. I hope HRT takes some of these options, however, I have this feeling that only the Northern Virginia TAs will seriously consider taking them.

I am already aware of that contract with New Flyer. In fact, some people spotted some D60LFRs running in Richmond back in March; these were (allegedly) demo units. The buses have not been seen since.

GRTC Transit System is going with New Flyer for articulated buses for the proposed BRT line. Blacksburg and Fairfax will benefit the most from the umbrella contract, and Charlottesville Area Transit may be able to save some money on parts for their existing New Flyers (820-829, and 840-841), or possibly return to New Flyer for their next purchase.

Arlington Regional Transit is going with NABI, and may possibly turn to Designline for their next order.

Alexandria DASH is sticking with Gillig. Even though they have Orions, the last order soured that relationship.

University Transit Service is sticking with Gillig, and isn't going to waver from them anytime soon. Matter of fact UTS is the only transit that actually buys its own buses; funding comes from user fees at parking garages and student tuition costs at UVA.

Wiliiamsburg Area Transport has no plans for bus purchases anytime soon. They are loyal to New Flyer.

Hampton Roads Transit will more than likely stick with Gillig unless the pricing on the New Flyers are better than Gillig.

• 3 years later...

Cool info. Why leasing? Waiting for some new purchases to arrive?

It's an 8 year lease, so I am not sure why. The reason for leasing them is to improve service on routes 44, 45, and 47 as part of HRT's agreement with Elizabeth River Tunnels. As for why leasing and not buying, perhaps it could be due to the small number of buses.

• 7 months later...

Source: http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/hampton-roads-transit-will-buy-new-ferries-buses

"Hampton Roads Transit will be getting new ferries for its Elizabeth River service and will be buying at least 32 buses in an effort to update its aging fleets.

The agency's governing board approved the purchases Thursday. The 32 buses will cost about $14 million, while an option to buy 45 more is estimated to cost about $19.6 million, according to HRT. The money is coming mostly from federal and state resources."

Source: http://hamptonroads.com/2015/04/hampton-roads-transit-will-buy-new-ferries-buses

"Hampton Roads Transit will be getting new ferries for its Elizabeth River service and will be buying at least 32 buses in an effort to update its aging fleets.

The agency's governing board approved the purchases Thursday. The 32 buses will cost about $14 million, while an option to buy 45 more is estimated to cost about $19.6 million, according to HRT. The money is coming mostly from federal and state resources."

Confirmed to be more Gillig buses from this document:

http://gohrt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/April-2015-OO-Committee-Package.pdf

Gillig's bid was significantly less than New Flyer and Nova. Nova was disqualified after their initial proposal since it wasn't within competitive range.

From what I read, these will be replacing the 2000 and a little over half of the 2001 Gillig Phantoms, as well as the four 2000 Gillig Low Floors. The 1999 Gillig Low Floors, on the other hand, will be rebuilt for an additional 6-year service life. According to HRT, rebuilds are more feasible for low floor buses than they are for high floor buses, which is why the 1999 Gillig Low Floors will be hanging around while the 2000-2001 Gillig Phantoms are being replaced.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2015 at 9:04 PM, ABQ RIDE said:

From what I read, these will be replacing the 2000 and a little over half of the 2001 Gillig Phantoms, as well as the four 2000 Gillig Low Floors. The 1999 Gillig Low Floors, on the other hand, will be rebuilt for an additional 6-year service life. According to HRT, rebuilds are more feasible for low floor buses than they are for high floor buses, which is why the 1999 Gillig Low Floors will be hanging around while the 2000-2001 Gillig Phantoms are being replaced.

I didn't even know this until tonight. For the last year, I've been wondering why the low-1200s were being refurbished despite their age. 

Also all 32 new buses are in. 29 40 ft buses (2101-2129) and three 35 ft buses (5016-5018). 2101-2110 are at Victoria while 2111-2129 and 5016-5018 are at 18th Street. These are also the first buses in the fleet to have driver shields.

27517758061_c96927738d_z.jpg

Other happenings recently

• 1508, 1509, 1512, 1513 & 1516 have moved to 18th Street, leaving 1507, 1510 and 1515 as the only 1500s at Victoria Blvd.
  • 112 has been re-routed to Patrick Henry Mall, 119 now runs from Fishing Point to CNU/Riverside and now runs on weekends and until midnight.
  • Downtown Norfolk Transit Center opened in January.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...