The results are in:

Final Poll Results

Local Song #1........24 %

Local Song #2........11 %

Local Song #3........28 %

Local Song #4........23 %

Local Song #5........11 %

I don't like any of the music........3 %

As of February 1, Local Song #3 will play in the mornings with the other songs playing in rotation throughout the rest of the day. Until then, all songs will continue to play in rotation throughout the entire day.

OK, so if all the music is going to play on rotation, what was the purpose of the poll? #3 will play in the morning, will the jazzy ones play in the evening and #1 in the afternoon? Or will they simply rotate the music every 10 minutes?

The results are in:

Final Poll Results

Local Song #1........24 %

Local Song #2........11 %

Local Song #3........28 %

Local Song #4........23 %

Local Song #5........11 %

I don't like any of the music........3 %

As of February 1, Local Song #3 will play in the mornings with the other songs playing in rotation throughout the rest of the day. Until then, all songs will continue to play in rotation throughout the entire day.

OK, so if all the music is going to play on rotation, what was the purpose of the poll? #3 will play in the morning, will the jazzy ones play in the evening and #1 in the afternoon? Or will they simply rotate the music every 10 minutes?

They should use #3 until the end of the year, then use #1 until the end of the next year, then #4 until the end of the year after that and so on.

• 6 months later...

After going through the whole process of selecting new music earlier this year, has anyone noticed that during the local forecasts they're now doing voiceovers essentially reading out what's on the screen? In the GTA the voiceover does general weather for Ontario and Québec. I don't know if the Prairies, BC and the Atlantic provinces get their own versions.

• 1 year later...

They've reformatted the Local Weather segment, essentially doubling its length with all of the extra features. As a result the music has been extended. Instead of repeating though there seems to be some filler in the middle. I don't know if that was the original full-length music or if they had it added afterward.

Extended local forcast made of much useless new information.

Let's review all the graphic that made up this THREE minutes local forcast.

1 - Satellite/Radar - No change there

2 - Road conditions in the nearby area - Every 10 minutes, i buy it

3 - Current conditions across the (wide) area - Map idea is good, but not the content of it.

4 - Record tempature - Useless information !!!

5 - Next 4 period weather forecast - As usual

6 - Next 4 days weather forecast - As usual

7 - Insted of the next 4 days/night sky condition and precipitation forecast, we push that to 8 days, 4 days was o.k, too big margin error to show up to day 8

8 - Next 7 days forecast (just add tempature to the 7 chart and get rid off this one)

9 - 14 day Outlook - As usual, worst then stock market speculation

10 - Point of interest forecast, could be interesting, personnaly, i would put the map on graphic 3 with the next day forecast for nearby cities

11 - Your *&*//*&/?*/(&* pictures - USELESS !!!

12 - Contact us - No comment

13 - Sponsors

And after all of those, you get a 30 seconds clip "Forces of Nature" showing you what staff has found on youtube the day before

3 - Current conditions across the (wide) area - Map idea is good, but not the content of it.

7 - Insted of the next 4 days/night sky condition and precipitation forecast, we push that to 8 days, 4 days was o.k, too big margin error to show up to day 8

8 - Next 7 days forecast (just add tempature to the 7 chart and get rid off this one)

10 - Point of interest forecast, could be interesting, personnaly, i would put the map on graphic 3 with the next day forecast for nearby cities

13 - Sponsors

And after all of those, you get a 30 seconds clip "Forces of Nature" showing you what staff has found on youtube the day before

I totally agree with you on that...

At first, when I saw the changes, I thought it was a glitch or something of the kind as there were some missing things, but it seems to be standard by now... B)

13 - Sponsors

3. What happens in the spring when they stop the road conditions reports?

4. I kinda wish they'd include the moon phases on the screen as well. There's plenty of room!

7. The day/night conditions could do with the high and low squeezed in underneath the sky conditions. That would eliminate most of the need for screen 6 or 8.

9. I find that what they forecast 14 days from now is usually pretty accurate. They however wind up changing the forecast between now and then. The shorter-term forecasts are strangely less accurate. Then again, I think the 14-day is to give you an idea of what to expect if you have plans.

10. The one for the GTA include Nathan Philips Square and the Convention Centre. Both are downtown away from any mitigating weather factors (the Harbour). The Convention Centre is indoors, why do you need a forecast there?! I guess the same could be said for Vaughan Mills. I'd use the Zoo and Harbourfront instead.

11. I don't know if they're trying to get more people personally vested with the Weather Network. Submit your photos, we'll pick some to post, watch to see if yours made the cut.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the reversion to a Christmas-y sounding version of the old Weather Network music a seasonal thing (in which case we should be going back by next week) or is it permanent? I liked the new music when it came out. The extension when they changed the Local Weather format seemed a little clumsy. As for changing the music during the holidays, they've had some better music earlier in their past, along with accompanying graphics.

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this old thread because I FINALLY found the song they used to play about 15 years ago. It is the same song that was used as the theme for the show Joy Of Painting with Bob Ross.

http://www.the80sman.com/l-owens-interlude-instrumental-theme-from-the-joy-of-painting-1983/

There's a link to play/download the song there. It's the highest quality available on the net right now.

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

This song was my favourite, simply because I remember listening to it as a kid.

Wow; must be really young! That theme came out in 2011 as it was selected as #1 during the Christmas season when they asked people to pick their favorite weather LF theme. The version that I included is the extended version released in (2013 or 2015?) to include their new 4 day, day and night forecast near the end.

2 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Wow; must be really young! That theme came out in 2011 as it was selected as #1 during the Christmas season when they asked people to pick their favorite weather LF theme. The version that I included is the extended version released in (2013 or 2015?) to include their new 4 day, day and night forecast near the end.

I didn’t start watching Weather Network until around 2012 when I moved to Calgary... I was around 8 or 9 years old at the time?  The tune of course seems familiar although I could’ve recalled something slightly different as well.