MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE DRIVERS AT GRT

Transit Man

MERRY CHRISTMAS PR MESSAGES  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should GRT have a PR message that wishes the Public a "MERRY CHRISTMAS"?

• YES
    • NO

I was in Mississauga this weekend and the funny thing there is that the PR messages showing on the "rear" destination sign say "HELLO", followed by "MERRY CHRISTMAS"! Oh My! How "Politically Incorrect"!
Politically correct my ass. No one is saying christmas anymore, instead the say happy hoildays or enjoy your winter break. I'll be saying Merry Christmas untill I die.

I think you'll see the comment was how Politically "INCORRECT" the statement is. I agree with you .................. It's "MERRY CHRISTMAS" all the way!

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my wish for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, non-addictive, low stress, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, as well as the secular practices of your choice, but with full respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

And further, please accept my wish for a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contribution to our diverse society has helped make this country great (not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, veteran status or sexual orientation of the wisher, wishee or their third party beneficiaries).

These wishes are limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of approximately one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

Use of the term "Holiday" herein is not intended to, nor shall it be considered to be, limited to Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, nor to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community group, individual or belief (or lack thereof). In particular, the word "holiday" is used herein without reference to its etymology.

Note: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable ab initio at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason.

This greeting is freely transferable provided that there is no alteration to the original greeting text. Any transfer is to be at the risk of the transferor who, by making such transfer, thereby agrees to hold the wishee harmless from any and all adverse consequences resulting from such transfer.

This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually take any action or fail to take any action to implement any of the wishes for the wishee her/himself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of same.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law, custom or policy and is offered irrespective of any card, hard copy greeting or embarrassing self-indulgent letter summarizing achievements in 2010, however mendacious, which may or may not have been purveyed by myself or any member of my extended family.

Best (sorry, reasonably endeavored) Wishes.

<author unknown>

------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas B):D

LOVE IT! JUST LOVE IT! (I just gotta use this!)

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my wish for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, non-addictive, low stress, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, as well as the secular practices of your choice, but with full respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

And further, please accept my wish for a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contribution to our diverse society has helped make this country great (not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, veteran status or sexual orientation of the wisher, wishee or their third party beneficiaries).

These wishes are limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of approximately one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

Use of the term "Holiday" herein is not intended to, nor shall it be considered to be, limited to Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, nor to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community group, individual or belief (or lack thereof). In particular, the word "holiday" is used herein without reference to its etymology.

Note: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable ab initio at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason.

This greeting is freely transferable provided that there is no alteration to the original greeting text. Any transfer is to be at the risk of the transferor who, by making such transfer, thereby agrees to hold the wishee harmless from any and all adverse consequences resulting from such transfer.

This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually take any action or fail to take any action to implement any of the wishes for the wishee her/himself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of same.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law, custom or policy and is offered irrespective of any card, hard copy greeting or embarrassing self-indulgent letter summarizing achievements in 2010, however mendacious, which may or may not have been purveyed by myself or any member of my extended family.

Best (sorry, reasonably endeavored) Wishes.

<author unknown>

------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas :P:P

Nice 20 minute PR sign :P

Politically correct my ass. No one is saying christmas anymore, instead the say happy hoildays or enjoy your winter break. I'll be saying Merry Christmas untill I die.

I was in Burlington today, Burlington Transit proudly proclaims "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to one and all!!!!

Front sign with the destination and then "MERRY CHRISTMAS".

Very refreshing to see. :)

I find rather strange the whole idea of a bus wishing me a merry Christmas or anything else. Just tell me where you're going and what stops you're making, but leave the social interaction to humans.

Agreed. Also, many people (foreigners, elderly, challenged etc) don't see / can't read those electronic signs very well, and it is a pain to have a bunch of useless crap on the destination sign for them to have to try and sort through.

Seriously, GRT, please stop putting useless crap on destination signs. No, I will not have a nice day or a merry Christmas if I miss my bus because the destination sign wasn't showing my destination when I needed to see it. (Seasonal service reminders are acceptable because they are not useless crap.)

Seriously, GRT, please stop putting useless crap on destination signs. No, I will not have a nice day or a merry Christmas if I miss my bus because the destination sign wasn't showing my destination when I needed to see it. (Seasonal service reminders are acceptable because they are not useless crap.)

I love the drivers who put the "GRAND RIVER TRANSIT" P/R message up. Like Really it's Grand River Transit? Oh Man! I thought I was in Toronto!!!! Now what am I going to do? I guess I"ll go to the St. Charles st. Transit terminal and get a Greyhound. OOOHHH MMMYYY!!!!

Because the poll specifically asked for merry christmas, which I don't think should be on the destination sign. I see a difference between merry christmas and happy holidays.

Is it a "Christmas Tree" or a "Holiday Tree" ??

Neither, it's an Evergreen tree which has nothing to do with either, just a convenient shelter for all your crap.

Under the tree at 150 Frederick St there will be a fleet of Novas instead of a train going around in circles.

Is it a "Christmas Tree" or a "Holiday Tree" ??

Neither, it's an Evergreen tree which has nothing to do with either, just a convenient shelter for all your crap.

Under the tree at 150 Frederick St there will be a fleet of Novas instead of a train going around in circles.

Try to be different.... Use a Festivus Pole!

Ok so while we are on the subject of P/R signs I want to start a new little psudo poll.

What would you think if you were waiting for the, ie; 7B Weber and you see the bus coming, a little late but its on its way, and the sign says "7B Fairview via Weber" but then as the bus keeps coming without seeming to slow that sign changes and says "Sorry... Bus full" and as the bus drives by, with an appolagetic look from the driver, you see that the bus is indeed full. Would you be understanding as to why the bus drove by, or still pissed off no matter what?

Ok so while we are on the subject of P/R signs I want to start a new little psudo poll.

What would you think if you were waiting for the, ie; 7B Weber and you see the bus coming, a little late but its on its way, and the sign says "7B Fairview via Weber" but then as the bus keeps coming without seeming to slow that sign changes and says "Sorry... Bus full" and as the bus drives by, with an appolagetic look from the driver, you see that the bus is indeed full. Would you be understanding as to why the bus drove by, or still pissed off no matter what?

Well first, I'd understand. The bus is full. Can't do anything about it. Then, i'd be pissed because I would wonder why they don't have more service on a busy route.

Would you be understanding as to why the bus drove by, or still pissed off no matter what?

It would certainly be better than just driving by. Sometimes I'm not certain if the driver didn't see me or if the bus was full.

Then, i'd be pissed because I would wonder why they don't have more service on a busy route.

This. The September service expansion can't get here soon enough.

Excellent idea. Some drivers, however, just flip the sign to 'Out of Service'. Works too.

I'd be pissed off but I would understand as to why the bus passed by. If the bus is full the bus is full. It's not the drivers fault.

Here's another question:

In Burlington, when the bus gets crushloaded the drivers are still expected to stop, open the door and inform the passenger(s) that they can't get on because there's no room. This makes no sense to me because the passenger is going to try to get on despite what the driver just said, therefore creating an unnecessary confrontation. Any thoughts?

Excellent idea. Some drivers, however, just flip the sign to 'Out of Service'. Works too.

I'd put Out of Service up. Theres no guesswork for the passengers this way.

I'd put Out of Service up. Theres no guesswork for the passengers this way.

But if the bus is "out of service" then why is it full of people? Its a catch 22 at least if the customer was told why the bus is not stopping then they might understand.

I'm also saying this sign would most likely be used for the 7's and 12's.

But if the bus is "out of service" then why is it full of people? Its a catch 22 at least if the customer was told why the bus is not stopping then they might understand.

I'm also saying this sign would most likely be used for the 7's and 12's.

Good point. And if they saw 'out of service' rather than the 'route 7', they might assume it's still coming...

It appears being "left behind" is a common complaint. So let's talk about why that might happen aside from overcrowding in Waterloo.

1) You weren't really at the stop were you. The driver is not "rude" because he didn't slam on the brakes due to your lack of enthusiasm for getting where you need to be when you need to be there. As he goes by with you flapping your arms fast enough to take flight, you neglect to consider that on board strollers, wheelchairs, standees etc etc all make it a bad idea. Plus it tells everyone on the bus they can expect to board wherever they want. Many resources are expended by GRT planning the safest and most efficient places to place stops, so just get there, on time.

2) You were at the stop, but you didn't look up from your iPhone as the bus approached being totally oblivious to your surroundings. Sitting inside the bus shelter you think the driver must be able to see you, not considering it is filthy dirty or his headlights reflect off the glass at night turning it into mirror. You must want a different bus or something, The Amazing Kreskin will have to figure it out.

3) You can't read the destination sign, so when the CHARTER or OUT OF SERVICE or TRAINING bus goes by you have to call GRT right away.

4) There are some drivers people do not like, sometimes for good reason. Not surprisingly, there are some people the drivers don't like, sometimes for good reason. Every day like clockwork you whine about things over which the driver has no control. Rightly or wrongly, today is just not your day.

5) You missed your connection. It's funny that you are the same person who never has his money ready. You wasted time asking questions because you don't even know where you really want to go. You expect the driver to be some sort of mind-reading encyclopedia of knowledge, therefore you think he has every schedule, connection, detour, mailbox, garbage can and moon-phase memorized. Yesterday you phoned and complained because the same driver didn't let you get seated and put your dirty feet up on the seat in front of you. Today he made sure you got to do all of that.