MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM THE DRIVERS AT GRT

Transit Man

MERRY CHRISTMAS PR MESSAGES  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Should GRT have a PR message that wishes the Public a "MERRY CHRISTMAS"?

• YES
    • NO

Merry Christmas.

Personally I don't really care what P/R message I see, 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'. To me it's really the same thing.

In Thunder Bay we have 'Merry Christmas' P/R programmed on our buses, but I rarely see them anyway. Once I saw a bus that displayed only the P/R and not the route, nobody knew where the bus was headed ;) In the end, destination signs are supposed to tell where the bus is going, right?

If you really want, I suggest getting a nice decorated sign saying "Merry Christmas!" and put it in front of the dashboard ;)

SWCAnimatedLightsMerryChristmasSign.gif

Should GRT have a PR message that wishes the Public a "MERRY CHRISTMAS"?

11 YES

1 NO

Hmmm, someone has a "Bah, Humbug" approach to the Holidays!

Being the one person who voted no, I feel I should say something. I absolutely think there should be a Happy Holidays message, or Seasons Greetings if people prefer that. I also personally wish people a Merry Christmas, I do after all celebrate Christmas. I also think that people who get offended by Merry Christmas are being ridiculous. However, if we start putting every major religious holiday on the destination sign I'll never know where my bus is going, there's too many of them! I also strongly believe that public institutions should be completely secular, both because of my own views and because it's the easiest solution to religious debates. For example, what religious holidays are worthy of special treatment. It's similar to the controversy over the Gideons distributing bibles in schools. Those bibles stirred up enough fuss in the news. That may be the school board, but the GRT could easily fall into a similar trap.

Edit: Looks like someone else voted no, when I started writing I was the only one.

Being the one person who voted no, I feel I should say something. I absolutely think there should be a Happy Holidays message, or Seasons Greetings if people prefer that.

So why would you vote "No"? Your comment (in full) doesn't make sense. You vote "No", and yet you state "I absolutely think there should be a Happy Holidays message, or Seasons Greetings" That's what the Vote was on.

I'm confused, but then again that's easy to do to me! (And I don't even wear, or want to wear, a "white shirt" .......LOL)

I voted no simply because when a bus comes along, I want to see what route it is on and where it's going. I don't want to see a useless PR message. If it's out of service I'd have no issue, I just don't want it to delay some actual useful information.

And I totally don't think this thread was even supposed to be about the whole "religious political correctness holiday debate". That's a whole different, ridiculous issue altogether.

Destination signs are meant to display a destination -- PR messages shouldn't confuse riders.

I have nothing against Christmas or any other holiday, I just don't think it should get in the way of passenger information. Perhaps drivers could display a "Merry Christmas" sign in the window, or greet passengers with "Merry Christmas".

Foothill Transit in southern California has a separate electronic display for PR messages located below the main destination sign -- perhaps that's something to look into.

MT says Merry Christmas. It's vry inviting when they have messages like that. It's only up for 2 seconds anyways, I'm not sure why some people are so uptight about it

I think it should be Merry Christmas but there some religions which don't allow them to say Merry Christmas or mention it.

I actually know this muslim guy who celebrates christmas, but doesn't put a star on top of the tree. Another one doesn't use a tree, they just exchange presents. I'm sure lots of people do this.

I think it should be Merry Christmas but there some religions which don't allow them to say Merry Christmas or mention it.

doesn't the whole tree thing go back to pre-christian pagan ritual anyhow? -something to do with the winter solstice... it's about as christian as a halloween jack-o-lantern.

i don't see gift exchanging and lights, trees etc , as being explicitly christian.

it's a free country, last i checked....non christians included.

i'd say leave it up to the individual's discretion.

So why would you vote "No"? Your comment (in full) doesn't make sense. You vote "No", and yet you state "I absolutely think there should be a Happy Holidays message, or Seasons Greetings" That's what the Vote was on.

I'm confused, but then again that's easy to do to me! (And I don't even wear, or want to wear, a "white shirt" .......LOL)

Because the poll specifically asked for merry christmas, which I don't think should be on the destination sign. I see a difference between merry christmas and happy holidays.

• 11 months later...
I was in Mississauga this weekend and the funny thing there is that the PR messages showing on the "rear" destination sign say "HELLO", followed by "MERRY CHRISTMAS"! Oh My! How "Politically Incorrect"!

Politically correct my ass. No one is saying christmas anymore, instead the say happy hoildays or enjoy your winter break. I'll be saying Merry Christmas untill I die.

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my wish for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, politically correct, non-addictive, low stress, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, as well as the secular practices of your choice, but with full respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

And further, please accept my wish for a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contribution to our diverse society has helped make this country great (not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country, and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, veteran status or sexual orientation of the wisher, wishee or their third party beneficiaries).

These wishes are limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of approximately one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first.

Use of the term "Holiday" herein is not intended to, nor shall it be considered to be, limited to Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, nor to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community group, individual or belief (or lack thereof). In particular, the word "holiday" is used herein without reference to its etymology.

Note: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable ab initio at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason.

This greeting is freely transferable provided that there is no alteration to the original greeting text. Any transfer is to be at the risk of the transferor who, by making such transfer, thereby agrees to hold the wishee harmless from any and all adverse consequences resulting from such transfer.

This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually take any action or fail to take any action to implement any of the wishes for the wishee her/himself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of same.

This greeting is void where prohibited by law, custom or policy and is offered irrespective of any card, hard copy greeting or embarrassing self-indulgent letter summarizing achievements in 2010, however mendacious, which may or may not have been purveyed by myself or any member of my extended family.

Best (sorry, reasonably endeavored) Wishes.

<author unknown>

------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas B):D