Vancouver Bombardier Flexity Streetcar (Olympic Line)

Enviro 500

Did one trip Olympic Village-Granville Island, very nice but glad the TTC ones will be wider and hopefully will run faster than the fun police would allow the trial cars to go! My wife liked them and her opinion is more important as she's not into transit and would prefer to drive to work.

However, one of the first things I'd say should be done is to connect Millennium Line Skytrain with Canada Line. It ended up being less hassle to get a 4th Ave. bus to VCC-Clark than do a return trip to Olympic Village and wait for a connector to VCC-Clark to get to where I needed to go next. Not only would it bring Skytrain closer to UBC but provide a 1-change option to YVR and Richmond too, and unless something big is planned the VCC Clark terminus area isn't the most inspiring part of Vancouver that I saw.

However, one of the first things I'd say should be done is to connect Millennium Line Skytrain with Canada Line. It ended up being less hassle to get a 4th Ave. bus to VCC-Clark than do a return trip to Olympic Village and wait for a connector to VCC-Clark to get to where I needed to go next. Not only would it bring Skytrain closer to UBC but provide a 1-change option to YVR and Richmond too, and unless something big is planned the VCC Clark terminus area isn't the most inspiring part of Vancouver that I saw.

The plan is to take the Millennium Line all the way to UBC from VCC-Clark, but I agree, the current terminus is useless ;) So when it is extended it will connect with the Canada Line.

Chris Cassidy

The plan is to take the Millennium Line all the way to UBC from VCC-Clark, but I agree, the current terminus is useless ;) So when it is extended it will connect with the Canada Line.

Chris Cassidy

Still you guys have a nice bunch of LRT lines. I need to explore them a bit further during my next visit. Or rather...stay awake while I explore them. That's the trouble with a smooth ride zzzzzzzzzz.

• 2 weeks later...
Some of my final shots of the Olympic Line........sad to see the lovely streetcars going home =(

Final night of the Olympic Line

ENjoy!

Dave

all good things must come to an end..... im still in Olympic withdrawal with the paralympics now done (feels only like yesterday i was at nathan phillips sqaure here in toronto for the paralympic torch relay excited for the paralympics to start,

• Board Admin

Very nice shots!

If Siemens decided to send up an S70 or something from Sacramento for a while to do some runs, do Bombardier have any right to block them from doing so?
I'm pretty sure an S70 or any other standard North American LRV is too wide to even fit on the tracks. The width of the Brussels streetcar lines are narrower.

If Siemens decided to send up an S70 or something from Sacramento for a while to do some runs, do Bombardier have any right to block them from doing so?

S70 is a full size LRV, I'm sure it would fit on the tracks, but there might be a clearance issue at some areas.

The colouring speedometer looks interesting, wonder what it's for.

Our U2s in Calgary and Edmonton have the same speedometers with the same colors on it, I know that from 10KPH to 0KPH there is a red line, that means disc brakes would apply in that range. As for the other colors I always wondered what they ment myself!

I was really lucky to be able to ride the car, my family and I enjoyed it very much.

So has there been a decision if the line will be built permanently?

So has there been a decision if the line will be built permanently?

Was watching CTV Vancouver last night, the mayor of Vancouver said it needs the funding for level of government to have permanent as the city cannot chip the whole project.

I'm pretty sure an S70 or any other standard North American LRV is too wide to even fit on the tracks. The width of the Brussels streetcar lines are narrower.
I guess the platform would have to be adjusted at both ends but jeez I'd hope the loading gauge on the passing loop would be enough! The notion that a Thunder Bay built standard width Flexity couldn't fit on that after the millions were spent would be depressing, not to mention fodder for the people who hated this line being refitted in the first place...

I was just thinking that if it was a rotating "exhibition" line for major tram manufacturers like Siemens, Alstom, AnsaldoBreda, CAF, Skoda/UnitedStreetcar people might decide they want a full time service ;)

^ we could have transit shows, you know like auto shows except with transit vehicles being showcased

There's the CUTA conference, which will take place in October this year, in the new exhibition centre down by Waterfront in downtown Vancouver!

Anyway, here are my photos taken last night, when the first Bombardier Flexity streetcar (#3050) was being transported to the docks at Tacoma on its long way home........I was positioned at the following locations last night:

Ash Street / Bway

Bway / Cambie

Kingsway / Fraser

41st / Knight

Bridgeport Road overpass / Knight Street (Richmond)

Cliveden Avenue / Hwy 91 (Annacis Island)

http://trans-continental.ca/vancouver/spec...flexityleaving/

Enjoy!

Dave

^ we could have transit shows, you know like auto shows except with transit vehicles being showcased

There are Transit Expos. Edmonton had one several years ago. I didn't get to attend but my son's dad ended up going and bringing me a whole bunch of goodies (promotional items) from there.

He kept talking about this really cool 'Invero' that was being showcased. I guess it was quite a while ago now....

i got a question (and im sure this was answered loong ago) about the two sets that were on loan, were they sent from bussles or were they bulit first and sent here for the demo period on loan and are now going back there?

Built over there (Belgium?) then sent straight here. Brussels hasn't even seen the trains in service :P

Chris Cassidy

• 6 years later...

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot but anyways a bit of a bump. I'm in Vancouver right now thought I'd check out the old Olympic line. So sad to see it in its current state

These are pictures of the old Granville Island station

I've added an old picture that I found online  (credit goes to that person) for comparison. I'll post more pictures when I can.

Enjoy!

Olympic-Line.jpg

20160711_191338.jpg

20160711_191511.jpg

20160711_190527.jpg

• Like 1

Too bad that the Olympic line doesn't have a place in Greater Vancouver Transit Plans at the moment, with all the focus over the Broadway SkyTrain extension and Surrey Rapid Transit... (Even with all the Arbutus corridor news going on, there's more about upgrading the C-line and putting a bike lane on Arbutus than light rails.)