General LOL moments

AlexLy

44 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

I've been to a few pubs that have had coins lacquered onto their table tops. (mostly pennies, although back then pennies were still in use).

It would be even more impressive if they lacquered large cents in!   Actually, that would be a very neat display.  I always liked collecting large cents from the coin dealer’s cheap scrap coin buns when I was a kid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

A coin that if you gave to a lot of people around here for their thoughts, would mean you overpaid.

Yeah, especially since we usually give them out for free.

Granted, some people (I can think of 4, maybe 7) here actually deserve some bucks for their thoughts, so everything balances out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Yeah, especially since we usually give them out for free.

Granted, some people (I can think of 4, maybe 7) here actually deserve some bucks for their thoughts, so everything balances out. 

Yeah, it's a small number of people for sure.  I don't think you or I or anybody else has to worry about running out of fingers counting up the total.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday when I was working at my job at Home Depot, I had this conversation with a customer shortly after I started.

Customer: Do you have any hand sanitizer?

Me: We're sold out.

Customer: Why?

Me: {pause} Something from China.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday at work it started snowing and when I pointed it out to a coworker, she said, "It looks like Christmas".

At first I was dismissive and simply thinking it looked like winter, but I went outside and saw we had taken a delivery of Cedar trees so I told her that it actually did look like Christmas as we were selling some evergreen trees!

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Seriously CBC.. We have to wait 18,180 years for economic growth rebound ?!?!?!?

Photo2924.jpg

Feels like it, sometimes. A Freudian slip, perhaps? :P

• Haha 2

On May 2, 2020 at 3:37 PM, captaintrolley said:

Seriously CBC.. We have to wait 18,180 years for economic growth rebound ?!?!?!?

Photo2924.jpg

On May 2, 2020 at 3:54 PM, PCC Guy said:

Feels like it, sometimes. A Freudian slip, perhaps? :P

On May 4, 2020 at 10:11 PM, J. S. Bach said:

Probably reasonably accurate. :ph34r:

Yeah, it sure does feel like it, that's for sure.  I sure hope CBC has a lot of reruns in the can because with over 18,000 years left to go, that's a lot of airtime to fill for people stuck at home bored to tears.  Or is the bored to tears caused by watching 18,000+ years of CBC reruns?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On May 13, 2020 at 11:13 PM, J. S. Bach said:

I am lucky, that is something that I will not have to suffer through! :D

No?  I was talking with one of my American friends last night who is bored out of his mind and we ended up talking about how daytime television's a wasteland across the whole world.

I honestly don't really watch much TV.  I don't have cable or satellite but during the home inspection when I was thinking about buying this house, the inspector and I popped the attic hatch and discovered the attic's got a huge VHF antenna and a four or six bay UHF bowtie antenna on top all mounted on a rotor.  The people clearing out the house tossed the rotor controller though, but to be honest, I've never bothered hooking it up to my TV and doing a channel scan to see what it's pulling in sitting where it is now, never mind going to the trouble of trying to do something about the rotor controller.  The cabling from all that's dangling in the basement.  I guess there's three possibilities here:

1)  Haul TV downstairs and rig up adaptors and a balun to get the twinlead into the television and do a channel scan.

2)  See if the twinlead is long enough to get over to the workbench or drop the spectrum analyzer on a scope cart and wheel it over and rig up adaptors and a balun to get it into that machine and go hunting around for ATSC.  Would be interesting but I don't have the right feed through termination to properly match the 75 ohm side of the balun to the spectrum analyzer's 50 ohm input, so no good for getting objective signal strength measurements to put up against the sensitivity figures that Sony alleges for the TV's tuner.

3)  Continue to be lazy and not bother with either 1 or 2.  I'm thinking number three.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched a video on YouTube of someone asking people on Reddit if you had 20,000 of the last thing you bought online. For me, I'd have 20,000 Rapido Tempo train sets (VIA Rail with locomotive 3154 DC). I know what I'd give PCCstreetcar4549 for his birthday next year and another friend who isn't on the board. 

On 5/15/2020 at 10:22 AM, Wayside Observer said:

No?  I was talking with one of my American friends last night who is bored out of his mind and we ended up talking about how daytime television's a wasteland across the whole world.

I honestly don't really watch much TV.  I don't have cable or satellite but during the home inspection when I was thinking about buying this house, the inspector and I popped the attic hatch and discovered the attic's got a huge VHF antenna and a four or six bay UHF bowtie antenna on top all mounted on a rotor.  The people clearing out the house tossed the rotor controller though, but to be honest, I've never bothered hooking it up to my TV and doing a channel scan to see what it's pulling in sitting where it is now, never mind going to the trouble of trying to do something about the rotor controller.  The cabling from all that's dangling in the basement.  I guess there's three possibilities here:

1)  Haul TV downstairs and rig up adaptors and a balun to get the twinlead into the television and do a channel scan.

2)  See if the twinlead is long enough to get over to the workbench or drop the spectrum analyzer on a scope cart and wheel it over and rig up adaptors and a balun to get it into that machine and go hunting around for ATSC.  Would be interesting but I don't have the right feed through termination to properly match the 75 ohm side of the balun to the spectrum analyzer's 50 ohm input, so no good for getting objective signal strength measurements to put up against the sensitivity figures that Sony alleges for the TV's tuner.

3)  Continue to be lazy and not bother with either 1 or 2.  I'm thinking number three.

Ditto, I barely watch TV usually. If I do it's just a rerun or two on some of the oldies or rerun stations, or 15 minutes of a local newscast. Otherwise Youtube seems to have a lot of good stuff that was on cable 10-15 years ago for free.

Nonetheless when I moved into my current place I hooked up my antenna box (basic $20 flat indoor antenna that sits next to the TV or can hang on the wall) and was a little disappointed it was only pulling in a couple channels. I looked at some beefier outdoor or attic type antennas but just didn't feel like shelling out $50-$100 on something I knew I would barely use. A few months later I was bored one afternoon, so decided to see what would happen if I tried putting the antenna box up in the attic and running a feeder cable down. (I had a cable that was left by the previous owner) 15 minutes later after drilling a feeder hole, running the line up, and popping the antenna box up on the ridge beam in the attic, I had perfect reception on every local channel. Haven't bothered to do anything else with it since and certainly am not going to spend a nickel extra on any streaming or cable TV options from Concast :D