Today's Sightings

6 hours ago, Articulated said:

I'm not so sure about that. It may be logged into a route, but it hasn't moved an inch in over an hour, and is not associated with a scheduled run. Could be just testing the Init system.

It doesn't necessarily have to be associated to a run. They have run buses before unscheduled usually as cover runs or another bus is assisting that bus.

23 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

It doesn't necessarily have to be associated to a run. They have run buses before unscheduled usually as cover runs or another bus is assisting that bus.

Yes, YRT certainly has many cover buses that are out. However, those don't typically get signed into a route until it actually starts operating on it. There are also regular "unscheduled" runs that predictably operate ahead of known crowding situations. The 24 has one of those; however, today that run was filled by 1610, not 2234.

As for the user I was responding to, they posted within one minute of 2234 first appearing on Transsee. Certainly smells like someone sitting at home with the tracker open, waiting to be the first one to post a sighting of a new bus. Yet there's no actual electronic proof that 2234 operated at all, because that marker did not move for the 7 hours it was actively tracking. Not sure how you can claim a bus operated in service on a particular route if it didn't move, or pick up passengers.

Electronic tracking has been a tremendous benefit to the transitfanning community, but oftentimes it needs to be looked at through a critical eye, because mistakes and errors do occur. Like the times when there were regularly CLRVs tracking in the middle of Lake Ontario. In this case, it seems more likely that a maintenance person had 2234 logged into the system, perhaps as a test of its Init/GPS system, and maybe they forgot to log it out. But I think it's a better idea to wait to report it as being in service until after it gets logged into a real, existing block and is seen to be doing actual trips, or even better has a visual in-person sighting of being on the road.

14 minutes ago, Articulated said:

Yes, YRT certainly has many cover buses that are out. However, those don't typically get signed into a route until it actually starts operating on it. There are also regular "unscheduled" runs that predictably operate ahead of known crowding situations. The 24 has one of those; however, today that run was filled by 1610, not 2234.

As for the user I was responding to, they posted within one minute of 2234 first appearing on Transsee. Certainly smells like someone sitting at home with the tracker open, waiting to be the first one to post a sighting of a new bus. Yet there's no actual electronic proof that 2234 operated at all, because that marker did not move for the 7 hours it was actively tracking. Not sure how you can claim a bus operated in service on a particular route if it didn't move, or pick up passengers.

Electronic tracking has been a tremendous benefit to the transitfanning community, but oftentimes it needs to be looked at through a critical eye, because mistakes and errors do occur. Like the times when there were regularly CLRVs tracking in the middle of Lake Ontario. In this case, it seems more likely that a maintenance person had 2234 logged into the system, perhaps as a test of its Init/GPS system, and maybe they forgot to log it out. But I think it's a better idea to wait to report it as being in service until after it gets logged into a real, existing block and is seen to be doing actual trips, or even better has a visual in-person sighting of being on the road.

I actually don't think 1610 was "cover". It's been happening every weekday. The second 401 run jumps on the 24.

7 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

I know I've read but you mentioned about 1610 being a cover.

8912 on 60 & 8780 on 35 (TTC Transsee)

Again, you are not reading the post properly. The first two sentences were about cover buses; the next two were not.

There are also regular "unscheduled" runs that predictably operate ahead of known crowding situations. The 24 has one of those; however, today that run was filled by 1610, not 2234.

And for the record, those extra unscheduled trips are operated using drivers on "cover" runs. And they will not operate if the bus is needed to replace another scheduled run somewhere else. That's why they have not been put into the schedule, to maintain operational flexibility.

11 hours ago, Articulated said:

Again, you are not reading the post properly. The first two sentences were about cover buses; the next two were not.

And for the record, those extra unscheduled trips are operated using drivers on "cover" runs. And they will not operate if the bus is needed to replace another scheduled run somewhere else. That's why they have not been put into the schedule, to maintain operational flexibility.

The 401 trip of that 1610 block I don't believe is "cover" more so it's extra.