Today's Sightings

I've been around this forum for a bit over a year... And to this day I have a hard time understanding what these "sightings" threads are really for.

The way it appears, at least from the posts about TTC vehicles, that they are regular runs from their regular bus divisions, correct?

So if someone wants to see what buses are out, check Transsee, Nextbus, or other apps. Transsee even has a history.

I mean no offense to anyone posting here, I just don't know what the general purpose of these sightings threads are.

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

I've been around this forum for a bit over a year... And to this day I have a hard time understanding what these "sightings" threads are really for.

The way it appears, at least from the posts about TTC vehicles, that they are regular runs from their regular bus divisions, correct?

So if someone wants to see what buses are out, check Transsee, Nextbus, or other apps. Transsee even has a history.

I mean no offense to anyone posting here, I just don't know what the general purpose of these sightings threads are.

The purpose is to grow your post count.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, MK78 said:

This thread dates back to the days prior to trackers being a thing. It would be used to post daily sighting so we could keep track of vehicles in service essentially. Nowadays, with the availability of trackers this thread is not as useful but it still has a purpose. For example, I spotted 3508 with passengers on Kingston Rd westbound at Morningside this afternoon with "Not in service" on the sign. When I look on the tracker now, it seems to be going back and forth between the Zoo and Sheppard/Meadowvale Loop.

I think this thread is neat to document the routes various vehicles were on at certain points in history. Sure, TransSee has vehicle history, but it doesn't last forever, and if you're not a subscriber then you can only see the streetcar history anyway. It's cool to look through old posts and see when some long retired vehicle was in service and where.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wil9402 said:

This thread dates back to the days prior to trackers being a thing. It would be used to post daily sighting so we could keep track of vehicles in service essentially. Nowadays, with the availability of trackers this thread is not as useful but it still has a purpose. For example, I spotted 3508 with passengers on Kingston Rd westbound at Morningside this afternoon with "Not in service" on the sign. When I look on the tracker now, it seems to be going back and forth between the Zoo and Sheppard/Meadowvale Loop.

Yeah I agree these threads might have served a purpose before the trackers, but now I think they're kinda redundant...

And who knows if someone's posting an actual visual sighting, or just via nextbus trackers?

14 hours ago, MK78 said:

People could share what they saw, their feelings and excitement about certain sightings here.

Other than that, no one really cares what bus appeared on their regular route. Especially a week later.

TTC:

1397 On 38A HIGHLAND CREEK To Rouge Hill GO Station
1509 On 133 NEILSON To Morningside Heights
3411 On 131 NUGGET To Old Finch & Morningview after interlining with 903 at Scarborough Centre Station
3452 On 85A SHEPPARD EAST To Don Mills Station after sitting at the southwest corner of Lawrence Ave. East and East Ave. for some time
3511 On 133 NEILSON To Scarborough Centre Station

48 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Saturday afternoon, TTC 7950 and 7955 running not in service eastbound on Kingston Road. 7954 (if I recall) eastbound on Lake Shore by Coxwell. I would figure they're being moved to Birchmount from Queensway?

Yes, they were being transferred to Birchmount.

Yesterday's sightings at TTC Victoria Park

1316 - Line 2 Shuttle

1611 - Line 2 Shuttle

7919 - Line 2 Shuttle

3192 - Line 2 Shuttle

3106 - Line 2 Shuttle

8551 - Line 2 Shuttle

9229 - Line 2 Shuttle

Two buses clipped each other. I don't remember the numbers. I have photos from yesterday. They will be uploaded soon.

• Like 1