Toronto Transit Commission route 172 'Cherry Street'
|Number of Branches||2|
|Distance||3.07km (Union Station - Commissioners via Mill St.)|
|Types of vehicles used||Orion VII|
172 Cherry Street was a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route provides service to Cherry Beach from Union Station. It services The Esplanade, Berkeley Street, Front Street, Parliament Street, Mill Street and Cherry Street. It loops clockwise via Villiers Street, Munition Street and Commissioners Street. At Union Station, the route loops clockwise via Yonge Street, Wellington Street, Bay Street, Front Street and Scott Street. Branch 172, a seasonal service branch, continues south of Commissioners Street to Cherry Beach. The western terminal is Union Station. Eastern terminals include Cherry Beach for 172, and Commissioners Street for 172A. Early morning service on this route is covered by the 72A Pape branch.
- May 9, 2004 - Route operation commences.
- July 26, 2004 - Route no longer serves the Toronto International Ferry Terminal due to closing.
- November 22, 2004 - Weekday service cancelled due to low ridership.
- December 19, 2004 - Service south of Commissioners Street ends.
- May 8, 2005 - Service south of Commissioners Street resumes.
- June 30, 2005 - Service to the Rochester Ferry returns due to operation resuming.
- January 2, 2006 - Service to the ferry terminal ends again.
- September 5, 2006 - Weekday service to the 172A branch ends. Service south of Commissioners Street of weekends and holidays ends.
- May 17, 2007 - Weekday evening service resumes, weekend and holiday service south of Commissioners Street resumes.
- November 23, 2008 - All service suspended on this route for the winter season.
- May 24, 2009 - Summer service to Cherry Beach replaced by new branch 72B, permanently ending service on 172.
This route had 2 branches:
Overnight service was not provided.