Alexander Dennis Enviro400
|Alexander Dennis Enviro400|
|Years of manufacture||2005 to present|
|Length||10.2 or 10.9 metres|
The Alexander Dennis Enviro400 is a two axle double deck bus. The chassis was developed from the popular Trident and the body was designed from scratch. For high strength and low weight, the bus's structure is made of aluminium. Metroline in London, England was the launch customer for the Enviro400.
The modular chassis is manufactured from welded steel channel, rectangle, and angled sections. It is finished in a corrosion resistant two-pack epoxy. The body is integrated with clean frame joints and outriggers for body pillars. The body is jig built from aluminium extrusions and stress panels. Dielectric paint is applied to dissimilar metal used on the body.
The chassis can be fitted with other bodywork and the Enviro400 body can be fitted onto the Volvo Buses B9TL and the Scania N230UD chassis. There is an example of one Enviro400 body fitted on a Volvo B7TL before it was replaced by the B9TL.
On November 4, 2008, a diesel-electric series hybrid version called the Enviro400H was unveiled at the Euro Bus Expo in Birmingham, England.
The Euro 5 Enviro400 chassis has the radiator on the offside and the engine on the nearside. The engine was originally mounted on the offside due to the layout of the ZF rear axle. A new axle layout allowed for a simplified straight angle drive. The revised Enviro400 also has an additional 50 millimetres of ground clearance. A further revision to the Enviro400 was shown at the 2009 Coach & Bus Live. A line of white LEDs follows the path under the projector headlights, and the bumper on the sides under the headlights curves inward then out.
In November 2009, the first Enviro400s were delivered to Hong Kong (for Citybus amd Kowloon Motor Bus). They featured a large HVAC system and the updated front fascia. Interestingly, the top deck area and rear resemble that of the Enviro500.
On November 11, 2010, Alexander Dennis announced they received an order for 10 Enviro400s from Coach USA subsidiary Twin America, in New York. The Enviro400 is only available in North American as an open-top tour bus and was introduced in 2011. E Noa Tours of Honolulu received three in early 2012.
Specifications (on Enviro400 chassis)
- Length: 10.2m or 10.9m
- Width: 2550mm
- Cummins ISBe Euro 5, 6 cylinder, 250 hp
- Cummins ISL9 EPA 2010 6 cylinder, 280 hp (North America, 2011-present)
- Cummins ISLe Euro 5, 6 cylinder (Hong Kong models, 2009-present)
- MAN D0836 Euro 5 (2009 to present)
- Caterpillar C7 Euro 4, 230 or 250 hp
- Cummins ISBe Euro 4, 6 cylinder, 250 hp
- Cummins ISCe Euro 3, 6 cylinder
- ZF 8098 integrally powered, variable ratio
- Air disc brakes with ABS
- Arriva London - London
- Arriva Shires & Essex - Luton, Bedfordshire
- Bournemouth University (operated by Wilts & Dorset) - Bournemouth, Dorset
- Carters Coach Services - Capel St Mary, Suffolk
- First London - London
- Harford Park & Ride (operated by Konectbus) - Norwich, Norfolk
- Hedingham & District Omnibuses - Essex
- East London Bus Group - London
- Go-Ahead London/London General - London
- Metroline - London
- national Express West Midlands - West Midlands
- Stagecoach in Cambridge - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
- Stagecoach in Cheltenham - Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Stagecoach in Devon - Devon
- First Devon & Cornwall - Devon and Cornwall
- Stagecoach London - London
- Stagecoach Manchester - Greater Manchester
- Stagecoach in The Fens - Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire
- Travel West Midlands - West Midlands
- Western Greyhound - Newquay, Cornwall
- Dublin Bus - Dublin, Lainster
- First Glasgow - Glasgow
- ↑ Euro 5 Enviro400, alexander-dennis.com, retrieved on 2009-09-11
- ↑ ADL gears up for export drive with diesel and hybrid models, alexander-dennis.com, retrieved on 2010-11-12